Anyone know of ONE shoe that hikes, mountain bikes and gets wet???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
HELP!!!! Anyone out there aware of any (low cut) shoe that can "do it all"? I need a shoe that I can hike/bushwhack in, mountain bike in (no cleat/no clipping-in needed), and get soaked at river crossings/swamps...

I am using old shoes and a boot dryer on full-rotation. The smell is TERRIBLE and now I think my car is *starting* to smell bad, too :eek: !!! I don't go barefoot across rivers and don't want to carry extra shoes. Any suggestions???? I'm not sure if the sandal route is a good idea for biking??? What about socks????

Take a look at approach shoes. They provide good traction and stick on trails,rocks and pedals. They don't dry out real quick like a water shoe but better than alot of boots.

http://www.rei.com/product/797841/la-sportiva-boulder-x-approach-shoes-mens

I do believe they come in Womens also. The La Sportivas in my experience run on the narrow side but there are other ones out there that work for different feet.

Keen Targhee II, waterproof low hikers (mid-size hiker version too) with good soles, solid, large toe box, and for my foot, the most comfortable shoe I've worn. With low gaiters, they make a nice waterproof combo.

I've bushwhacked in them, been on snow, lots of trail miles, plenty of road/treadmill running. Good shoe.

They won't dry fast once really wet but I've put them on wet and hiked in them comfortably. Worth a look. Be careful - there's a cheaper, non-WP version that looks alike.

Don't know how long they'll stay dry running through water crossings if water comes in...with high gaiters, this may be fine.

Last edited:
In my experience hiking in wet shoes/boots is asking for trouble feet wise. I take my boots off to cross water. Ive used la sportiva shoes to approach alpine cliffs and always like them, thier tough and sticky, but I confess to hiking in heavy boots not shoes.

I pretty much wear the same trail runners for hiking and biking (not road cycling, have clipless for that)

Of note, Keen makes some models of thier popular shoes with built in adapters for toe clips --they sell them at REI, pretty cool if you me -- I have a pair of Keen mid weight hikers but I find them stiff and heavy for longer hikes.

I walk through water and have long given up the notion that my feet will stay dry- plus it's a good way to keep yer trail runners clean.:)

My next trailrunner will be La Sportiva Wildcat or Raptor -- have the Crosslite II now and I love them for everything but greasy rock, which they suck on. The fabric is also breaking down quicker than I would like, but they have a very stable base for such a light shoe. The scree protectors on the tongue area makes gaiters non essential, too.

The La Sportiva Raptor is a great shoe - stable, AWESOME in the Presis (good rock plate), excellent outsole for traction on wet rock (comparable to inov8 sticky rubber which is unsurpassed for wet rock traction), and well-built. I'm not sure how they would be for biking, but they are pretty perfect for hiking/running.

Right now my go-to shoe, though, is the Brooks Cascadia 6. These shoes quite literally "cured" an ankle injury that I'd been dealing with since last August. They are hands-down the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn out in the mountains, and the Cascadia is extremely popular with trail runners. The lateral stability that the shoe provides is simply unmatched, too (except perhaps by the Hoka One One, which I happen to own as well :rolleyes:). I've walked them through countless rivers/streams and they drain quickly and thoroughly.

The only complaint that I have has to do with the rubber on the outsole. It's definitely better than the La Sportiva AT Frixion rubber (which is what the majority of their trail runners - but not the Raptors - are made with), but it's not the best on wet slabby rock. That said, I am very picky when it comes to traction, so if the shoes sucked you can bet I would not be wearing them. I just find that I need to be a little more careful about foot placement on slabby slick rock.

Best of luck in your footwear search!

Last edited:
almost sounds you need a trail runner shoe, maybe one you can attach a low gator on, mesh siding so they dry faster.

I am a big fan of my merriel moab goretex trail runners they grip good dry pretty quickly and are super comfy

For quick drying, look at any of the mesh type "river shoes" made by many Trail runner outfits (not to be confused with the heavy rubber "water shoes"). Or, if you are in the market for something light, many of the "minimalist" shoes dry very fast. I have New Balance Mimimus, and they dry very fast. The fabric upper is a very open weave.

I think any shoe good for bicycling would be too stiff to be comfortable for walking, and shoes comfortable for walking wouldn’t be stiff enough for cycling.

If you’re cycling to the trail head, can’t you just leave your cycling shoes with the bicycle? Then switch to the hiking shoes for the hiking.

When my son and I had to cross the Opalescent to get to and from Allen Mountain three years ago, he brought a pair of sandals and I brought some sort of Nike rubber shoes for the wading.

The first time I remember having to wade, up in Baxter State Park after three thunderstorms had rolled by, I removed my boots and socks and went barefoot, then waited for my feet to dry (or perhaps I had a towel; I don’t know, that was a long time ago) before putting the socks and boots back on.

After Cam and I crossed the Opalescent on our way to the mountain, rather than carry all that wet stuff, I put the rubber shoes, sandals, and towel into a plastic bag and hung them in a tree, to await our return.

When I used the rubber shoes to cross the West Branch or whatever it’s called — the river that parallels the Kanc — the first time I climbed Scar Ridge, I dried my feet with a towel, but had to carry it and the shoes in a plastic bag all the way up the mountain, because (this was before I had a GPS) I knew there was little chance I would make it back to the exact same place when I came down (and I didn’t).

Other than that, all I can suggest is to not keep your shoes in your car. I kept mine in the trunk for a while, until I noticed spiders living in them.

I think any shoe good for bicycling would be too stiff to be comfortable for walking, and shoes comfortable for walking wouldn’t be stiff enough for cycling.

If you’re cycling to the trail head, can’t you just leave your cycling shoes with the bicycle? Then switch to the hiking shoes for the hiking.

If you do mt bike on a regular basis, I would recommend going clipless. I have been riding for the last 19 years. Four years ago I went clipless. I would get rid of my suspension and disc breaks before I rid myself of clipless pedals.

EEEEK - I use clipless pedals on my roadbike, but, I like using low-cut hiking shoes on my mountain bike so I can hike and ride. I know this is against the flow for mountain bikes, but, I REALLY don't want to clip and unclip given how many times I need to dismount!!!! I am VERY old-skool in terms of my mountain bike (hardtail, non-29er wheels!!!). For me, I like to hike up and ride down!!!! So, I'm doing a LOT of hiking/pushing/carrying.

I will definitely look into the shoe suggestions here!!! THANKS TO ALL for those pointers!!!!

For the water part, I typically end up throwing the bike on my shoulder and balancing on rounded rocks at river crossings. I am used to using poles for balance when I just hike, but, with a bike, balance is challenging with no poles!!!! I usually lose my balance and fall in. Also, a lot of standing trail mud that just doesn't evap is also an issue - I always get my feet wet even when riding straight thru.

hike/bike boot

becca take a look on sierra trading post i've always been lucky finding good prices & lots of choices there. obviously you don't need gortex but something comfortable that will dry fast & these days there's lots of options out there (& lots of sales - nashbar, campmor etc).
Would something like this be what you are looking for? The price isn't bad either.
http://ww2.sierratradingpost.com/ru.../?filterString=womens-watersport-shoes~d~664/
if the url doesn't bring you right to the shoe go to www.sierratradingpost.com and search on item 3865D - & if you don't like those just look under women's shoes / water..... and also ck hiking.
also another option - i don't know what type of water crossings you are doing: are you mtb in and then leaving your bike and hiking? if you are just doing river/type crossings or if you just want somethign to protect your feet once you get to your destination; say if you are mtb into a lake; I always carry a pr of those water shoes you can buy most anywhere, CVS included for about $5 - they pack easy and def come in handy, great for rock hopping, walking in the water or just keeping you feet safe from nicks and cuts. just depends on where u are going. and if you don't want clips you can get those pedals with a small cage for the toebox and still have some good stabililty when cranking up hills etc. hope that helps.

Last edited:
finally got something: Salomon's Techamphibian - feels pretty structured yet seems to be meant for water (a big plus since I usually end up in it!!!!). I'll let you know how it goes!!!! If it doesn't work out, i'll be trying more suggestions!!!

Thanks to all!!!! --Becca

(oh yeah, I'm *extremely* tall (hence, large feet), so, I have to buy men's)

Last edited:
Sorry I hadn't gotten to this thread earlier, but I've experimented with the Techamphibians for a month or two now. As I read your OP I immediately thought of them, then saw that you'd picked them up.

I'd recommend them for what you described their intended use. Seems some posters disregarded the "get soaked" part. Sure, trail runners can get wet but they won't shed water right away or dry anytime soon.

I primarily use them as river shoes while kayaking or just messing around the Pemi at swimming holes. Perfect for that.

Done some minor hiking in them and they hold up similar to other Salomon trail runners I've tried. Good luck, hope they work out for ya.

Last edited:
update

Hi! Used the Techamphibians (with socks) on some swampy mtn bike rides yesterday and they worked great. Didn't get that "icky, my feet will be wet all day" feeling after multiple fordings and crossings including Downes Brook a bunch of times and a bunch of water-filled (beaver dam) trails. Felt VERY secure riding the mtn bike (I use straps, not clip-in pedals). Seemed to work pretty well for walking since I had to walk over 2 miles pushing the bike thru brush and blowdowns :eek:

REally liked them!!!!

Thanks for all the help!!!!!