Mt Crawford Loop Hike Using Portion of Abandoned Razor Brook Trail (07-July-2011)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
We've recently had family visiting us. Although we did a couple of short, mild-mannered hikes, it has been well over a week since I've been free to do the type of hiking that is customary for me. With all the hubbub of seeing everyone off, plus the time it took to formulate a hiking plan and gather my gear, it was already late morning (nearly the crack of noon!) on 07-July before I was on the trail.

For quite awhile, I've wanted to check out the Razor Brook valley and see if I could find any remnants of the Razor Brook Trail that was abandoned in the early 1960s. And so, my game plan was to hike a short distance up the Davis Path and then bushwhack eastward and cross over the Bemis Ridge to the Razor Brook Valley. From there, I would trek northward up the valley to the little unnamed 2,866 ft peak. From that peak, I'd then bushwhack to the Davis Path, take a side trip to Mt. Crawford, and return to my car via the Davis Path.

Shown below is a rough depiction of my route. I say "rough" since I didn't run a GPS track which would've shown my exact route. I only used my GPS sporadically to confirm that I hadn't run too far amuck from my intended course. (The bushwhack portion is shown in red, and the on-trail portion is highlighted in yellow.)

Map.JPG

The next photo shows a portion of a topographic map from 1950. The old Razor Brook Trail is highlighted in yellow. (This trail began at a point about 2.5 miles north of Bartlett and terminated at the Davis Path just a short distance northeast of Mt. Crawford.)

OldMap.JPG

This adventure went very well. I was able to complete the approximate 5 mile hike (at a leisurely pace) in less than 6 hours. The bushwhack portion of my trek was predominately through open woods. The descent off the east side of the Bemis Ridge was steep, but certainly manageable. The roughest spot of the entire journey was the 0.2 mile segment between the 2,866 ft peak and the Davis Path. In this short segment, there were a lot of blowdowns and thick conifers to push through. It made for some very slow-going, but I've encountered conditions that were worse.

Regarding the abandoned Razor Brook Trail, it's likely that I was hiking on segments of it here and there. However, I cannot say with absolute certainty that the corridors that I came across were indeed the old trail. Perhaps they were merely animal trails of some sort. And maybe I simply didn't look hard enough, but I didn't find any old blazes on trees, nor did I see any signs of axe blazes. I wasn't disappointed with finding no confirmatory indicators of the old trail. There were no preconceived notions as to what might be found!

I fully realize that for many folks, this type of hike has limited appeal. So, at this point, some readers might have had enough already! But, for anyone who might have some further interest, you can click HERE to access my Blog which contains a few more details about this trek, plus a few snapshots.

Last edited:
Great report. Reading the old WMGs you'd like to think the old paths are still followable. The forest takes over pretty well.

I fully realize that for many folks, this type of hike has limited appeal.

Woo hoo, I am not many people! :D

You know, I occasionally browse the old maps on the UNH site, but somehow the Razor Brook trail escaped my notice. It is too bad it was abandoned because, while in general I kind of like the Davis Path, the part I really hate is the drop from Crawford to 302....steep, eroded and it always is a killer on the knees after a long day. That Razor Brook trail looks like at the time it was a pretty decent alternative of less steepness (except for what looks like the tough climb up to the 2866 knob.) I love Crawford, but dislike that section of the Davis Path to get to it, and any alternative approach would have had me interest. ;)

Brian

Another fine bushwhack John. :cool:
Very nice route John!
Tobit, and Raven: Thanks guys!
Great report. Reading the old WMGs you'd like to think the old paths are still followable. The forest takes over pretty well.
Chris: You're so right! The forest does indeed do a great job at repossession . . . it's the original "repo-man".:) It's been over 50 years (half a century) since the Razor Brook Trail has been tended to and brushed! I think all of us trail-adopters know how quickly the forest begins to "take over" if we miss just one cycle of maintenance on our trail(s)!!:eek:
Woo hoo, I am not many people! :D

You know, I occasionally browse the old maps on the UNH site, but somehow the Razor Brook trail escaped my notice. It is too bad it was abandoned because, while in general I kind of like the Davis Path, the part I really hate is the drop from Crawford to 302....steep, eroded and it always is a killer on the knees after a long day. That Razor Brook trail looks like at the time it was a pretty decent alternative of less steepness (except for what looks like the tough climb up to the 2866 knob.) I love Crawford, but dislike that section of the Davis Path to get to it, and any alternative approach would have had me interest. ;)
Brian: It's so cool that you are not "many people", and have an interest in stuff like this!:cool:
And, I agree with your comments about the segment of Davis Path between Mt. Crawford and the Rt. 302 trailhead.

It is unfortunate that the Razor Brook Trail had to be abandoned. I guess the "killer" for this trail was linked to issues with private ownership of land at the southern end of the trail. The approach to Mt. Crawford was significantly longer via the Razor Brook trail. It would've been about 4.8 miles vs. 2.5 miles via the Davis Path+ Mt. Crawford Spur Path. However, it might have been a less strenuous hike (even with the steep, but short, section along the western flank of the 2,866 ft knob)!

Last edited:
Nice trip, John.

And, I'd rather read ten of yours or Steve Smiths blog reports than the mundane, "look I hiked *insert same-old peak name here* via *insert repetitive same-old trail name here* for the 20th time" reports. (Not that those don't have a place here b/c they do.)

Last edited:
Hey Happy

Thats an interesting trip...though I don't know if I'd do that any time soon. That steep section down that abandoned trail looked too much for me, and then to go right back up it. But the views were clearly worth it.

Love your blog!