Caling ADK hikers. Need advice please!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
I am hoping to go to the Daks -high peaks area 7/25-8/2.
I want to do an easy hike to Blueberry Cobbles with Dot Meyer, who is an elderly well known GMC trip leader. (Chomping at the bit to hike with her.) That trail would also take us up Bald Peak and eventually to Giant. I believe we are doing only the Cobbles and ? Bald Peak. I would like to go up a few days before the hike on 7/31 so I can start to explore some of that area. I was thinking of camping at Wilderness Campgroud at the the Loj. It's a busy time and I might not get in. How far would I have to drive from that campground to the trailhead? How about Sharp Bridge or Lincoln Pond. Are they close by. I lost my high peaks map so I need to order another one.
Any other suggestions?

Also any decent cheaper motels in case I cannot get a site? It has to be dog friendly.

Do you have any easy trails in the area that are blazed that you could recommend for me to hike? I would prefer trails with running streams and or ponds for Molly. She gets overheated FAST!

Thanks

Stay here, its run by our two very kind own; TMax and TopofGothics!!!
http://www.tmax-n-topo.com/
Pet Friendly and in the heart of it all! Plus, your business helps support their continuing gear replacement needs, and we all have those!!!

For Blueberry Cobbles -- takes TONS of water for the dogs - there is very little along the way.

I'm sure others will have more advice to offer as well.

Have a WONDERFUL time!! Wish I was going!!!:)

BTW, Dix via Bouquet Brook/Hunters Pass is a very nice hike with plenty of dog water and outside the High Peaks Leash Requirements. TH right on Rt 73 very close to the Thruway. Dix also boasts the longest stretch above treeline in the ADKS. If you go, you can make it a loop by descending via the Beckhorn, but in my personal experience this is a tough one with a large dog and an out and back will aid in avoiding some very steep sections that may require dog assistance.

Last edited:
The trail to Owl Head Lookout on the Rt 9N-Giant mountain trail is a easy trail, and close by. It is 5.2 miles in/out. You could extend it by going to High Bank with a great view of Giant and RPR.

Big Crow (and Little Crow) are small mountains in Keene with great views of the High Peaks. If you want something with more climbing, Hurricane and Hopkins Mountains are excellent.

Thanks for the input. Please keep it coming.
Sabrina...I love the hostel. It looks great and the price is very nice. I also like the idea of supporting VFTT members. Unfortunately Molly is not quite ready for this very special experience. :( At age 8.5 months she is still quite the lunatic and I fear that we would be forever banned. Her level of exuberance at life in general is indescribable. At some point when she settles down a tad more, :D:D:D, I would like to stay at The Dixies room. The motel/inn at Jay looks good to but I wanted to stay for ~6 nights so it's a little more than I wanted to pay. I am keeping all the recommendations for future use.

Just found a nice Ntl Geo High Peaks map at REI which I will fetch today. Am looking at the "Sharp Bride" DEC campground for $18/night. I would like to take a day trip to check out the LOJ and some trails there, and also go to Lake Placid and Whiteface Mountain.

Now that I found the nice map a feel a little less intimidated. I spent some time sitting at Adventure Outfitters on Friday evening checking out the ADK version and I was overwhelmed just looking at how TIGHT THE CONTOUR LINES ARE. I have acquired a brand new respect for all the ADK 46'ers. I loved reading that approx 1/2 don't have blazed trails. My level of bravery have most definitely diminished with age.
At least the NtL Geo map will be in color, bright, and perhaps not quite so scary to look at. IF we do have a few mountain lions, I could comprehend why they might have taken up residence there. :eek:

Any and all suggestions/recommendations will be much appreciated. I have wanted to go to high peaks for a very long time and hope that things with Molly continue to work out so that we can finally make the trip.

Anyone camped at Sharp Bridge?

Sharp Bridge is absolutely beautiful, and usually quiet. Lovely sites. The hiking trail that leads from Sharp Bridge is very soft and pretty. It doesn't lead to any major destinations, but it's a nice walk. (You can talk a short side trip to see a nice little rock climbing cliff if you branch left off that trail about 50' past the first bridge and walk for about ten minutes.)

About the same distance in the other direction (North) from New Russia is the Magic Pines campground wwhere we have our party, so that's another option.

Lincoln Pond is a nice pond, but the campsite is cconsiderably more developed. But if you want a beach and a lake, it's good.

Brooks - take in Roaring Brook Falls and Split Rock Falls while you're in the area. Also, Rte 73 follows the N Fork of the Boquet for a bit, roadside pullouts have great access - it's my very favorite river!

Eats - try the Deer's Head Inn in Elizabethtown for dinner.

Have fun, and welcome to our little paradise!

(More ponds and short hikes)

Little Courtney Pond is right on the road just south of Sharp Bridge campsite. You could literally throw your boat from the car to the water. So if you are a watercraft person, it would be fun to paddle around for a few minutes. (It's a tiny pond, but it's so close it would be worth it.)

Hikes to Hammond Pond and Challis Pond are soft and pretty. Black Brook acompanies you part of the way to Hammond. You can make it longer by going on to Moose Mtn Pond, or more challenging by climbing up to Bass Lake, which is gorgeous.

Even if you don't have any reason to go to Keene Valley, at the very least stop at Chapel Pond. Especially early in the morning or late in the day, Chapel Pond is just amazingly beautiful. I've been all over, and I would hold Chapel Pond up as being in the same league as any place I've ever seen.

If you do go to Keene Valley, take in the mountaineering book collection downstairs in the library, visit The Mountaineer shop, get fresh fruit and veggies at Rivermede, and eat pie at the Noonmark Diner.

Have fun!

Just found a nice Ntl Geo High Peaks map at REI which I will fetch today. I would like to take a day trip to check out the LOJ and some trails there, and also go to Lake Placid and Whiteface Mountain.

Now that I found the nice map a feel a little less intimidated. I spent some time sitting at Adventure Outfitters on Friday evening checking out the ADK version and I was overwhelmed just looking at how TIGHT THE CONTOUR LINES ARE. I have acquired a brand new respect for all the ADK 46'ers. I loved reading that approx 1/2 don't have blazed trails. My level of bravery have most definitely diminished with age.
At least the NtL Geo map will be in color, bright, and perhaps not quite so scary to look at. IF we do have a few mountain lions, I could comprehend why they might have taken up residence there. :eek:

Any and all suggestions/recommendations will be much appreciated. I have wanted to go to high peaks for a very long time and hope that things with Molly continue to work out so that we can finally make the trip.

Anyone camped at Sharp Bridge?

Most of the Adirondack High Peaks trails are easy to follow but they can be very steep and water scarce as you go up. I have the ADK & the NG maps.

Try Cascade Mt, it's one of the most popular and has great views of the High Peaks, carry your water. Phelps Mt from the Loj is a nice hike and you can get water at Marcy Dam. Ampersand Mt is very popular and has great views, carry water. These three are day hikes but won't take all day even at my pace.

If you have the time and don't mind driving around check out the Adirondack Museum and the Wild Center, great places. I don't know if they let dogs in, call them first. I've stayed at Wispering Pines Camp Ground. It's OK and is a convient location but Sharp Ridge is better, just further away from Placid.

Park in Lake Placid, grab a cup of coffee (ask any local where the cheap coffee is) and watch the world go by. It can be a tourist trap but you will see a walks of life go by. If the is a big athletic event going on the place will be packed and very exciting. The microbrewery in Placid is popular and the food is good. Walk around Mirror lake. Climb Cobble Hill (60 min) and look down on the towm. Don't pass up any of the small dinners, good eats and prices.

Main steet Saranac Lake is a nice strip to check out though I haven't spent much time in that town.

Post your question at the ADKHighPeaks.com forum and you'll get a ton of ideas.

Thank you soo much for all the great info. I have identified most of the spots you all suggested on my maps and am making a list with all the specifics. It's such a vast area and I am no longer feeling as overwhelmed by it. It seems there is such a lot I can do in that immediate vicinity that I might save Placid and Whiteface for my next trip. I am certain that Molly will love all those ponds and rivers. I will most definitely head to Keen Valley. Your recommendations are perfect for the both of us. She does not tolerate heat.

Sharp Bridge won and I booked my reservation.

Have 10 nights reserved at Acadia also for peak foliage.

Life is good happy hikers. ENJOY! :)

DOT MEYER STARTED ALL THIS. I believe I heard about her quite a long time ago on these forums.

I now have two maps, Nat Geo and the High Peaks ADK map just arrived at my door from EMS . It's MUCH NICER than the one I lost from my book. It appears to be on waterproof paper and I only paid $5.00. I won't discuss the postage. :mad: AT least it came UPS so it arrived in 24 hrs so I won't complain.

My list with all your suggestions is completed. I think we will have plenty to do for the 6 days.

It's a dream come true. You all made it sooo much easier. I honestly didn't know where start but with your help and persistence it did pay off. Thanks a bunch. Can't wait to get going! :D:D:D

I'm excited for you!! It's been too long since I have driven Rt 73 from the Thruway -- so much amazing scenery on that drive to the Loj, it's mind blowing beautiful--- I known you are going to love the Daks!!

Many thanks for all the recommendations. They were put to very good use.
It's big, it's wild, it's wonderful. I am in LOVE!
The grand finale was the hike to the Blueberry Ledges on route to Giant with ~83 yr old Dot Meyer. She is incredible and a real inspiration to me. Amazing woman.

Molly loved it to. Sharp Bridge is a great campground and I most certainly had one of the best (private) sites there. Very different from VT State Parks!

That blueberry pie at Noonmark Diner is to die for.

Love the Mountaineer also. And I can't forget the ski jumps. Got to see some Olympic trainees in action.

Did not particularly enjoy Lake Placid. Bumper to bumper midweek. Parking appeared hopeless and I could not have gotten close to Mirror Lake if my life depended on it. Was very happy to get back on 73. Should have gone to Whiteface. Heard that is very different. Next time.

I can't wait to go back.