Rhinebeck NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Hi All- will be in Rhinebeck for a night or two with very limited free time so looking for any trails/hiking right in the area to get in a trail run or hike.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I recommend Poet's Walk -- its just north of the Rhinecliff Bridge. Great rolling trails and stunning Hudson River/Catskill Views.

I'd also like to put in a plug for Bread Alone Bakery and Terrapin Restaurant. :)

Stissing Mtn in Pine Plains is a short trip if you have time... very nice firetower...

Jay

Also check out Ferncliff Forest just 5 minutes from the center of the village... Also the trails in Hyde Park are less then a 1/2 hr away and there are trails in Staatsburg about 15 minutes south of Rhinebeck too...

Plenty of options!

Agree with Ferncliff. Nice spot. If you are looking for a trailrun, there are some good trails in Hyde Park (Steve regularly runs there, he can give more details if you want to do a run).

This isn't a hike, but Burger Hill outside of Rhinebeck is a nice spot in the evening for sunset.

Likely will try a run, with the limited time available to try and get as many miles in as I can.

Will look at Hyde Park and Poets Walk and hopefully get to check each place out over the weekend.

Thanks again all.

tivoli bays

This is my favorite local place to hike. The trail network runs from behind the town hall in the village of Tivoli to Bard College. The bays are a really unique area with a lot of birds and some huge snapping turtles. There are several access points....Kidd Lane near the bridge is nice if you walk south. There is a kiosk in the first parking area on Kidd Lane (off 9G north of Bard College) with the trails printed on it....no maps, but everything is easy to follow and there are trail markers. The trail north from Kidd Lane to Tivoli has a large section where the trail is totally obscured by blowdown as of a few weeks ago.
Poets Walk is pretty popular with dog walkers, but you get some beautiful views of the river. I like the Ferncliff tower and there is a nice little pond on the trail.

Likely will try a run, with the limited time available to try and get as many miles in as I can.

Will look at Hyde Park and Poets Walk and hopefully get to check each place out over the weekend.

Thanks again all.

The trails along the Hudson at the FDR Estate are pretty nice and easy to follow...over across town, at Val Kill (Eleanor Roosevelt's "cottage") there are also some nice running trails. Depending on where you are staying in Rhinebeck, Hyde Park is about a 20 minute drive (some slowdowns through Hyde Park before you reach the FDR Estate). Unless things have changed recently, its free to park and use the grounds.

I will give a second thumbs up for Burger Hill -- great open views, not much distance but you will drive right by if you chose to head to Hyde Park, so worth the stop and short climb.

Last edited: