VFTT member is 2nd completer of ADK46 by bushwhack routes! !

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
John Winkler was the first and so far only documented hiker to have 'whacked all of the Adirondack 46 by bushwhack routes, avoiding trails and herd paths. The Adirondack 46ers awarded John a special B-1 to accompany his 'regular' 46 number. John and I enjoyed many hikes together but one of my regrets is that I didn't accompany him on any of his 46er whacks.
John's book, A Bushwhacker's View of the Adirondacks was published by North Country Books in 1995. Unfortunately, John passed away a few years ago and would have been thrilled to learn that another has followed in his footsteps.

After years of flailing thru blowdown, VFTT member Spencer Morrissey, aka Peak_bgr (the other one) completed the Adirondack 46 by bushwhack routes yesterday on Skylight, the second person to have accomplished this feat.
I'm happy to be friends with both B-1 and B-2 (although the 46ers retired the 'B' numbers after John's accomplishment). Spencer carried forth John's tradition and has often expressed his awe at John's achievement - done many years ago and with none of our modern clothing, gear or GPS.

Look for Spencer's trip report and photos. Congratulation, Spencer...

Thanks everyone

So there won't be a long trip report on the 46 - that would be crazy long and to the point where no one would read it. I am putting together an album of pictures that I willp post a link to - but this will take sometime.

I had the honor of talking with John Winkler on a few occassions and at book signings and he was a blast to compare notes with. For example one of his bushwhack routes is now the herd path and the herd path that he used is now a bushwhack route because the herd path has disappeared.

As far as a book on the accounts -we will have to see. It could be fun - I just want to make it fun to read as much as it would be fun going down memory lane while writing it.

I will post a TR for my finish on Skylight later tonight.

Good stuff Spencer! I knew you were closing in on it.

Last edited: