ADK Central Region backpacking ideas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Hey there,
I will be in the ADK's for a 4 nighter in a couple of weeks.
I have camped the hell out of the high peaks region so, just looking for something new to do. Any idea's that could keep us busy for a few nights in that region would be great !
Does not have to be a summit, just looking for cool stuff to do.
Thanks, Steve-o:)

When exactly are you gonna be there?

Not central ADK region but would you be interested in chilling out for a few hours at this spot?

O/W you might want to look into the West Canada Lakes area.

Neil, I would be all over, " that spot " but my compadre may differ.
We'll be there from July 28- Aug. 1st.
I was originally thinking, a trip to Duck Hole. check out the hermit site, maybe a BW up Coochie and the slide up Emmons. not sure yet.
I've literally, hauled this guy up Shepherds Tooth from Iriquois pass. so, don't want to have to do that again.
We like base/stealth camping. just wondering what our options are.

Bump. still looking for ideas but it will be a 5 nighter now.
I'm a little spent on the high peaks region and would really like to check out the backpacking/canoe camping options in the ADK central region. any idea's would be most helpful !
Thanks, Steve-o :)

Maybe some kayak camping along the fulton chain of lakes around old forge, combined with some hikes like Blue Mtn, Snowy Mtn, etc? A visit to the ADK museum at Blue Mtn Lake too perhaps..

Jay

Grab a copy of the NP trail guidebook. Lots of nice options in there.

Yeah...can't go wrong with the NP Trail. Also might want to check out Sargent Lakes area near Blue Mtn., or another cool area would be Indian Lake area (Chimney Mtn, Puffer Mtn, and the local ponds/lakes in that area.

The West Canada Lakes suggestion is a good one. With 5 days, you could easily see much of what the WCL Wilderness has to offer. The Pillsbury Mountain trailhead would be a good place to start and end your trip- that way you don't need to spot a second car.

Pillsbury Lake, Sampson Lake, South Lake, West Lake, Spruce Lake, Brooktrout Lake, and Cedar Lakes are all worthwhile destinations. In five days you'd easily be able to visit every single one of those spots. :)

Will anxiously await your return. The kids & I are heading for six nights at a house with day trips planned.