Where (in BSP) will you be this winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

So, the opening day for winter reservations at Baxter State Park has passed.

I am curious what sort of cool trips to the park people have planned for this winter? I know what some of you are up to, but I always like hearing about expeditions, the more extraordinary the better.

Me, I am a part of a fine team aiming to summit the 'southern Brothers' - aka Coe and South. We'll be enjoying the fine views of Katahdin and all sorts of gourmet cabin fare by late winter twilight at Daicey Pond.

Last edited:
Nice

OK, for those of you describing trips within the realm of feasibility . . .

Twig, where are you headed from your base at Kidney? -- Skiing and stargazing sounds very nice.

Nadine, sounds like you are headed up the big one. I am actually planning to do a little more hiking in my ski boots this year. They are just Excursions, though, and perhaps a little more manageable than what you tele skiers wear.

ChrisB, that might be a traverse that I talked myself out of - for this year anyway.

Last edited:
Twig, where are you headed from your base at Kidney?

It's a laid back group and we're not peakbaggers...I imagine we'll hike Sentinel mtn, do some x-country skiing, snowshoeing, make snow angels, LOL...lots of laughing...I'll bring my star chart...
We're there for three nights.

Al,

Sorry you are not among us. There's a group of 8 going in (including Go and SherpaK) and the plan is for four nights and five days in the bunkhouses along the way.

About 50 miles total with possibly one peak (Traveler) to grab.

Spencer and Go made the reservation Nov 1, so now it's time to get in shape and wax the sled!

I've long wanted to do this trip and can't wait to see the N end of the Park in winter.

Should be some hot times around the old wood stove that weekend!

cb

Twigeater, sounds like a nice trip. You'll have some great vftt of Sentinel Mtn. I like frozen ponds in the winter :)

Sounds like you're in for some fun Tramper Al. Are you going to try Fort also?

Chris B, that's the traverse I can't get the time off for.... :(

I'm in a group with GO et al, to summit Baxter and hopefully Hamlin. I tried last year, but the weather was way too cold, minus 48. Hopefully this year it will be sunny and warm. Well, at least warmer :p

Anything with steep vertical is more of a challenge with the duckbill on tele boots. I didn't have any trouble on the lower angle stuff I tried last winter though. I also had a hard time getting snowshoes and gaiters to fit over my ski boot buckles. I tried three pairs of gaiters before I found one that would work well enough. No luck with super-gaiters. Make sure your crampons fit your tele boots too. You may have to modify them (Spencers website) or purchase a compatible pair.

Northern BSP is awesome in winter (and any other time of year, imo)...

I'll be waiting to read the reports on that N to S trip. I'll get to that one day. Need a different job though, I'd never get a week off during the months of Jan-Mar, and that's what I'd want to really enjoy it.

I hope it's warmer - or warm enough anyway - for your summit attempt Nadine!

Trips

Chris: Yeah, I am already starting to regret passing on the great traverse of '05. I can only pull off so many trips these days, though.

Nadine: This is actually our second trip of this sort. Last year we stayed at Kidney and summited North Brother and Fort. Very nice time.
Lucky for me, when I change from my Degrees to my Excursions, I can use the same gaiters, snowshoes, and crampons (without even adjusting them), so I like that. They are not really 'tele' boots, I don't think. The only difference I notice barebooting is that they go a bit higher on my shin.

Hey wait a second, GO is on my trip as well! What's up with that?

Last edited:
I came this close (looking at a small gap between my fingers) to joining up with Spencer's awesome trip. If I were able to allocate more vacation time this winter, I would have been there, but I have a trip planned to the ADK's between Christmas and New Years, and will also be joining GO, Nadine, et al, for a February trip to Chimney Pond. There is just something special about that place that makes me want to venture there every winter... :)

sigh...

I think the easy part would be hiking there. The harder part is getting back there.

Tramper Al said:

Me, I am a part of a fine team aiming to summit the 'southern Brothers' - aka Coe and South.

Yeah, I guess you can call us Team SoBro.

One of my favorite parts of last year's trip was skiing across several ponds on the way out of the park. I loved Baxter in winter so much that I would go to ski, to roam, to sit and reflect.. it's just awesome.

I loved Baxter in winter so much that I would go to ski, to roam, to sit and reflect.. it's just awesome.

I'm with you Blue...though I am looking forward to Doubletop in February.

Btw, for those of you like me who like to do day ski trips into the park, there is a very good chance that Williams Pond Rd. will be open this winter.

What's that mean? It means that a 1 day Brothers trip is in order...

spencer

Hey! Why does GO get to go on the BSP Ski Sobo with Lil' Bro (Spencer), the Chimney with some VFTT-fo and our Sobro? What's up with that?
GO must be your Daddy!

(my head hurts after that)

-Liza
hikah
skiah
hockey playah