A long awaited summit!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
It has been a long time coming but well worth the wait. At 9 am on 7/13, Tobit, Molly and embarked on a great adventure. "Everest"comes it all sizes and this one soars 2006 feet above sea level! :eek: With grizzly determination we three set out to bag the "big one" ...our very own Mt. Wachuset.

Memory does not always serve me well. I had no recollection that some of the trails to the summit were a wee bit steep, rocky, and difficult to negotiate with big dog on long retractable leash. That piece of equipment eventually took a dive and landed a distance from the trail itself. :eek: A young, highly energetic mom risked life and limb retrieving it for me. After a brief chat with her and meeting her lovely Border Collie, I took her advice and kept Molly off leash for the duration of the hike. She was the best girl ever.!!! Yea Molly!!! You did GOOD! She eagerly greeted but did not jump on other hikers including small children, loved meeting other dogs but had no inclination to follow them, and responded swiftly to all our commands. At 9mo of age could she be starting to exhibit signs of maturity? She was in fact way to busy HERDING Tobit and I to get herself into too much trouble. We took frequent water breaks for Mol's sake and would let her cool down some. This is a breed that is very heat intolerant.
IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

We peaked out and had a nice time hanging out near the small body of murky water at the summit. Construction ongoing so it was a wee bit noisy. Not too many folks on either the trails or the summit. Road is closed to vehicles at this time. Yippee!!! :D

We eventually worked our way back down combining Jack Frost, and High Meadow. Molly enjoyed a dip in Echo Lake and we hiked back to our vehicles having spent a grand and glorious 5 hrs on our little "Everest". Life is GOOD! :)
IMG_1593.jpg

Tobit was a great hiking partner, very patient, and helped out a lot with MOl. We enjoyed"Tarahumara" Chocolate chia muffins on the summit that I had baked. You won't find those a Dunkin's! These are muffins of great substance.

I am also really impressed that Tobit did the entire hike wearing his Five Fingers!

Molly has been running around all morning barking the BIG DOG chant. "We don't need no stinkin' leashes!"
Looks to me like she is starting a new chapter in her life.

Ever onward and upward! :D:cool::)

Last edited:
It was great to finally meet Maddy and Molly. Yesterdays hike was just what I needed for exercise and practice before moving onto bigger peaks again. Next week, I think we are going to tackle Cardigan. :cool:

4iee8i.jpg

Last edited:
Wachusett is just wonderful with the road closed!
Yeah, but the dump trucks traveling the summit road during the week and the huge shovel on top loading them up kinda ruins it. I still had fun though when I look at the big picture.

Wachusett is just wonderful with the road closed! Good girl Molly! Perhaps Leo can meet you sometime.

What, no muffin recipe?

YAY for Molly, Maddy and Tobit !

Molly is soooo cute!!!!! I hope we can ALL get together and hike soon!

And...We happen to have a very close friend who will have an excellent Berner litter on the ground late this fall...you know, just in case Molly needs a friend:)

Chia muffins...would that be raw cacao? Mmmm....I second the request for the recipe. :)

YAY for Molly, Maddy and Tobit !

Molly is soooo cute!!!!! I hope we can ALL get together and hike soon!

And...We happen to have a very close friend who will have an excellent Berner litter on the ground late this fall...you know, just in case Molly needs a friend:)

Chia muffins...would that be raw cacao? Mmmm....I second the request for the recipe. :)

http://pinolerecipes.com/
You can order the book on line. It's an E BOOK! He had to send it to me via a different web route because IMacs have a problem downloading it. I called him and to my surprise he answered the phone.
OK...here it comes!
Chocolate Chia Muffins
Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
• 1/4 cup warm water
• 1 cup milk or soy milk
• 1 tablespoon vinegar
• 3/4 cup pinole
• 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/4 cup chia seeds
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup oil
• 1/2 cup honey or agave nectar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 12 cupcake wrappers

Procedure
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 wrappers.
Stir together the flaxseed and warm water, set aside to thicken.
Stir the vinegar into the milk and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the pinole, flour, cocoa, chia seeds,
baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk mixture, flax mixture, oil,
honey, and vanilla extract.
Divide evenly among 12 muffin cups and bake for
~ 15".
Let cool completely or they will stick to the wrapper.
I added walnuts and next time will add raisins as well.

You just had to tell me about those pups. Molly would love a friend. I am not certain I can afford another one. They are not the healthiest specimens.

Thanks for the congrats. It was a wonderful day. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, but the dump trucks traveling the summit road during the week and the huge shovel on top loading them up kinda ruins it. I still had fun though when I look at the big picture.

We obviously got lucky on our midweek hike in May; early morning, after a rainstorm. It was deserted except for a few bikers.