Favorite White Mtn swimming holes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freighttrain48

Reaction score
Whats everyones favorite swiming hole. I will be up in the whites thursday and I think it may be to hot for peakbagging, well at least for me. I would love to know where people like to go. It would be nice if it was a decent hike to get out to 1-3 miles. Any input will be helpful

Here is alternative for hot weather, Icy Gulch in Randolph with a stop by Pembamouk Falls. The approach to the gulch is hot but mostly in the shade, but once you drop into the gulch its about 1 hour of natural air conditioning. Lot of boulder hopping and there is usually ice year round. There are a couple of interesting microclimates along the way. At the end of the Gulch there are a couple of spring and a hike along a stream to a large waterfall.

Here is alternative for hot weather, Icy Gulch in Randolph with a stop by Pembamouk Falls. The approach to the gulch is hot but mostly in the shade, but once you drop into the gulch its about 1 hour of natural air conditioning. Lot of boulder hopping and there is usually ice year round. There are a couple of interesting microclimates along the way. At the end of the Gulch there are a couple of spring and a hike along a stream to a large waterfall.

Cool ! :rolleyes:

Here's more info on Ice Gulch with a map. Good recommendation, peakbagger ! I'm trying to compile a list of non-peaking activities in the area. This has been added.

Do note the map that Chip attached recommends CCW (up the gulch) . I and most people I know go down (CW). This gets the climb up the shoulder of Mt Crescent of the way in the AM. The hike out from the gulch to Randolph hill road is significantly flatter once you climb out of the ravine. There was a trail from the falls to the end of Jimtown road but it may not have been maintained for several years.

There is a road walk between trail heads. I usually park in the grass across from the barn at the lower trail junction with Randolph Hill road and then walk up the road and take Boothman Spring cutoff. There is usually parking across from this upper trail head across the street at the paddle tennis courts. Boothman Spring cutoff goes up a driveway between a sugar shack and an old farmhouse, go generally it eventually bears left into the woods, its usually mowed.

BTW, I use this as a practice hike for people who want to do Mahoosuc Ravine, if they like this hike, they probably like Mahoosuc Notch, if they dont they definitely wont like Mahoosuc Notch.

cascade path in Waterville valley was a childhood favorite. There are several pools, some with rocks and ledges to jump off of for the more daring!

cascade path in Waterville valley was a childhood favorite. There are several pools, some with rocks and ledges to jump off of for the more daring!

Awesome place farmer, I had lots of fun there last Thursday. The water was cold but very nice

i love russell pond for real swimming. water is very warm for the whites.
steve smith's book "ponds and lakes of the white mts" has lots of good recommendations. it depends whether you want to dunk in a pool to get cool or really swim. i personally like to swim about 1/2 mile or more per day, so the scenic waterfall spots are lovely but don't quite do it for me unless i can swim against a current....

Moriah Brook has some of the best swimming holes I've seen. This one is good sized and deep. Zoom out for a better idea of location. There are good ones above and below this spot and the Moriah Cascades and Gorge are worth checking out. If you've never been in this area it's a must hike in my opinion.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.30708...0=44.31525,-71.12206,9.1 km SxSE of Gorham NH

The swimming hole from the trail.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8sM6K-nzB882c1m2hkqVKfw1r4xEpawKLHj89rJmuNo?feat=directlink

Last edited: