Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soy protein vs. whey protein.

Soy protein vs. whey protein.

I was wondering which is better pre, during and post hike as a protein source. Soy or whey?

Human muscle has a lot of glutamine whereas soy protein doesn't have a lot I have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I was wondering which is better pre, during and post hike as a protein source. Soy or whey?

Human muscle has a lot of glutamine whereas soy protein doesn't have a lot I have been told.
    FWIW - One is plant-based and the other is animal. Might make a difference to a vegetarian, most certainly to a vegan.

FYI the latest research on SOY is suggesting some not so nice things about its effect on men

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    This appears to be a commercial advocacy/advertising website run by the American Egg Board. Not a reliable source.

Perhaps the info is correct, perhaps not. I'd get the info from a more reliable source before I believe it.

The following search http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...i=g10&aql=&oq= brings up s number of sources, including http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_%28food%29 which gives a breakdown of the individual protein content. (It also brings up a number of sources of dubious reliability.)

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
    FYI the latest research on SOY is suggesting some not so nice things about its effect on men
    Yes, soy contains phytoestrogens (weak estrogen mimics). According to one moderately reliable source, they have not been shown to have damaging effects on men: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean#Phytoestrogen

Doug

So, which protein source is better for hikers?

I am not concerned about developing man-boobs because I am way too virile and hunky for a thing like that to afflict me.

Egg.

Yeah, I knew that link was the egg board. But I only had a minute to post, and it was the cleanest link I could find, with the fewest ads.

I think it's pretty well established that of generally available foods, eggs have the highest quality protein ("quality" being measured by how well the proportion of amino acids in the food protein matches the required human dietary proportion of essential amno acids). Better than any meats; far better than soy or whey. To get well balanced protein from vegetable sources generally requires lots of mixing and fine tuning, like soy + whey + amaranth + etc.

Just eat an egg. Spend the time you saved researching protein hiking. (Or bushwhacking... )

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Yeah, I knew that link was the egg board. But I only had a minute to post, and it was the cleanest link I could find, with the fewest ads.
    Perhaps because the whole site is an ad...

I think it's pretty well established that of generally available foods, eggs have the highest quality protein
    I have no idea if eggs are the best source of protein, but they certainly are a good source. They do, however, contain significant amounts of fat (~11 g) and cholesterol (42 mg) (both mostly in the yolk). Current research suggests that one per day is ok, but ~13 grams of protein (the amount in one egg) is not enough to meet one's daily needs but might be enough to aid recovery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_%28...ritional_value

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    So, which protein source is better for hikers?
    Don't know which is better. Look up the protein breakdown for each and compare it to the requirements. Whether the requirements for recovery are the same as the general requirements might also be an open question.

Chocolate skim milk is supposed to be a good recovery drink.

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 07-19-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Milk is the best protein source and has the lowest carbon footprint. Buy milk from a local dairy that have grass fed cows and you get extra points.

Eggs have a cholesterol problem.
    Enjoy your best

Neil - I don't think there is a answer to your question - is it really a serious one? In a similar fashion - are apples or pears better for you?

As for carbon footprint - read an article yesterday re: "Meater Eater's Guide" - I have no idea about the accuracy of the science, especially the graphic, but FWIW it shows that egg production has a relatively low carbon footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    As for carbon footprint - read an article yesterday re: "Meater Eater's Guide" - I have no idea about the accuracy of the science, especially the graphic, but FWIW it shows that egg production has a relatively low carbon footprint.
    The original report can be found here. Pg 23 shows your graph

1 large egg = 6g protein or 3% of the RDI 186mg Cholesterol or 62% RDI
    12oz 2% milk = 12g protein or 7% of the RDI 29mg Cholesterol or 10% RDI
    Enjoy your best

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    Neil - I don't think there is a answer to your question - is it really a serious one?
    Dead serious.
    The focus with protein seems to be with regards to muscle protein for obvious reasons but I wonder if anyone has looked at what happens to the myriads of other types of protein due to hiking.

I find that full recovery after certain hikes takes longer than maybe it should (3-4 days after a 12 hour plus hike) and was thinking there might be a lot more to it than just replenishing muscle glycogen.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I find that full recovery after certain hikes takes longer than maybe it should (3-4 days after a 12 hour plus hike) and was thinking there might be a lot more to it than just replenishing muscle glycogen.
    Yes, your muscles need time to repair the accumulated damage. (This is why power lifters need to rest their muscles every other day and AT hikers need to take ~1 day per week off.)

And you might be getting a bit older than you used to be...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    And you might be getting a bit older than you used to be...
    Doug
    Nah, not me.

I guess there's no workaround for the aging process.