Soy protein vs. whey protein.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milk is the best protein source and has the lowest carbon footprint. Buy milk from a local dairy that have grass fed cows and you get extra points. :)

Eggs have a cholesterol problem.

lower than a plant based protein (beans, nuts and legumes)?

im curious where you came across that statistic, was there a study done? one would think growing/processing feed for the dairy cattle would add to carbon footprint of said milk.

im curious where you came across that statistic, was there a study done? one would think growing/processing feed for the dairy cattle would add to carbon footprint of said milk.

What about mother's milk? I wouldn't take a nursing mother hiking with me just for her milk but perhaps there is a market for purchasing it in the dairy case. Prolly has all the right amino acids, fat concentration and many other nutrients that avid hikers require.

Just eat a balanced diet, for crying out loud! Obsessing on these supplements is nuts. :)

Just eat a balanced diet, for crying out loud! Obsessing on these supplements is nuts. :)
Speaking of which, what are the best nuts for pre-hike prep, during the hike streaming nutritional input and post-hike recovery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator Note
You guys have got a lot of leeway here, let's not push it too far off topic, OK?

So easy to get carried away.....

What I have learned from this thread is that the best thing for a simple hiker is just to eat a balanced diet, stay in shape and accept (reluctantly) the results of aging.

It really makes me wonder about all of the supplements, powders, vitamin preparations etc. A ton of money wasted? Think of the Polynesians paddling across the ocean. Or the first people crossing the Bering Strait land bridge. Did they have Ubiquinone or Coenzyme Q? Or grape seed extract?

Hey Thag! Got any spare anti-oxidants? Yeah right.

It really makes me wonder about all of the supplements, powders, vitamin preparations etc. A ton of money wasted? Think of the Polynesians paddling across the ocean. Or the first people crossing the Bering Strait land bridge. Did they have Ubiquinone or Coenzyme Q? Or grape seed extract?
I view the field of athletic nutritional supplements as being very similar to that of electrolyte drinks--lots of hype and ridiculous prices. You can do just as well for a lot less money by doing it yourself with appropriately chosen normal foods.

Doug

No, I should have been more specific. :)

See the report in my post #12. Makes for good toilet reading. ;)

Outside Magazine July 2011 issue has an article about why Gluten is bad for you.

You can try http://outsideonline.com but I did not see it.

I gave up gluten about a year ago -- have a bit now and then these days -- has made a big difference for me in terms of energy level, sleep patterns, digestion.

In terms of comparing protein sources ( or any nutritional source) i find whole, unprocessed or minimally processed foods best for me.

Have tried the raw thing but found grains were easier to digest if cooked.

Nuts, nut butters, eggs - great trail friendly protien sources, IMHO.

Last edited:
...I guess there's no workaround for the aging process.
I've heard that a younger sexual partner can have a rejuvenating effect. The Coolidge Effect indicates youth is not a requirement, just variety.

Naturally, there are side-effects including loss of marriage.

BTW, the Coolidge Effect is named after one of my favourite Calvin "Weaned on a pickle" Coolidge jokes.

Outside Magazine July 2011 issue has an article about why Gluten is bad for you.

You can try http://outsideonline.com but I did not see it.

It's in this article
It seems a lot of people with no prior history of gluten intolerance suddenly came down with celiac disease in 2010. (In all fairness, better screening properly diagnosed thousands of people who didn’t know they had it.) Brought on by a gluten protein found in wheat, the autoimmune disease can wreak havoc on the small intestine, causing diarrhea and fatigue. The answer? Avoid all foods containing gluten. The fad? Less than one percent of Americans have the disease, but sales of gluten-free foods have skyrocketed, leading one gluten-free specialty brand to sell for $22 million in December.

I tried Seitan this past week while on vacation. Loved it and made some the day I got back. Tonight I'm making Spanish Rice with it.

Does anyone have any experience with this plant based protein?