flowers of Tuckerman Ravine in July

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
the trails Old Jackson Road, Raymond Path, Tuckerman Ravine Trail

the players flowers, birds, moose, butterflies, frogs, hikers, insects, clouds, water, snow, sun, wind, mountains

time 6 hours and 17 minutes up ( +/- an hour ), 55 minutes down

took a nice stroll up the beautiful Tuckerman Ravine to enjoy the flowers before the trail is closed for trail work...

Raymond Path is my favorite way into the area...nice and quiet...lots to see

IMG_8255aaa.jpg

IMG_8252aaa.jpg

IMG_8266aaa.jpg

this trail is so nice and quiet, even on a Sunday in July.....this young adult cow was grazing the grassy patches in the magic zone; ~2,900' ...here she is after I hung out with her for an hour waiting for cloud cover and observing

IMG_8333aaa.jpg

_aaa-2.jpg

noticed she was breathing rather heavily some of the time.....timed her at 84 breathes per minute, even while she was laying down with her eyes closed

birdsfoot trefoil...

IMG_8346aaa.jpg

goldenrod...

IMG_8355aaa.jpg

Made it to the Tuckerman Ravine Trail in near-record time; another 1/2 hour spent on the Raymond Path would have done it, but I had to move along...

Near the base of the headwall I had the pleasure of bumping into Erich and Gloria! They were heading up to Lakes of the Clouds Hut to spend the night. Nice to see you both!

IMG_8362aaa.jpg

Then it was time to really slow down and enjoy this drainage of the headwall, especially all the beautiful plants that live here...

bluets...

IMG_8366aaa.jpg

violets...

IMG_8387aaa.jpg

any ID help/corrections from our plant experts would be greatly appreciated

IMG_8391aaa.jpg

continiued...

Last edited:
speedwell

IMG_8405aaa.jpg

IMG_8399aaa.jpg

painted cups...( I call them alpine roses )

IMG_8408aaa.jpg

mountain avens...

IMG_8413aaa.jpg

bog white orchis (?)...

IMG_8427aaa.jpg

headwall...

IMG_8439aaa.jpg

creature hanging out on rose twisted stalk leaf...

IMG_8438aaa.jpg

this is so pretty...bilberry ?

IMG_8444aaa.jpg

false hellebore...

IMG_8452aaa.jpg

ragwort (?)...

IMG_8467aaa.jpg

still a big slab of snow and a few smaller ones....trail will be closed for a month for trail work, so it was really nice to enjoy this special place on a fine summer day..

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Hey Patrick,

Did you happen to take any pics of the leftover snow? I'd like to show my meteorologist friend. It seems a bit later this year.

Awesome pics like usual, and love the moose. :)

When I heard that the ravine was closing...the flowers were what I immediately thought of...I had big plans to spend a few nights doccumenting the headwall this year. Oh well...next year it is!

Thanks for the teaser...these are great!

You are a true artist with that camera.

Are those ticks all over the moose ?

Hey Patrick,

Did you happen to take any pics of the leftover snow? I'd like to show my meteorologist friend. It seems a bit later this year.

I have one, that I took from Ravine Viewpoint on Boot Spur trail last saturday. But I was to far away from the snow and just have had my compact camera and not my reflex with my zoom. I will have a look of it if I can do something with that photo.

And, BTW Patrick, very nice photos.

Last edited:
...Did you happen to take any pics of the leftover snow? I'd like to show my meteorologist friend. It seems a bit later this year...

Snow field at base of Tuck headwall, July 9th. Estimate 30 yards long by 10 yards wide by 3 yards tall (at maximum points). Although, since I'm a guy, I probably overestimated the length.

IMG6087edited-1-M.jpg

IMG6088edited-1-M.jpg

IMG6089edited-1-M.jpg

Last edited:
Patrick, this is such a treat!

The yellow "daisy" may be Arnica mollis (hairy arnica), having apparently opposite leaves and is more suited to the Tuck's environment;

The purple twin flowers look like a marsh skullcap (Scutellaria galericulata) - was it near water?

The bristly-leaved blue flowers are still a mystery, but I'll keep trying.