Water crossings up North Twin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
Got the Twins on my mind again. Missed out on doing them last year and its getting to be that time again where I want to plan a trip and check them out. My plan is to car spot at Galehead Trail where we will end up, and start over at North Twin Tr. So hit N Twin, S Twin, down to Galehead Hut, galeheads peak and then down and out via Galehead Tr.

Just wondering if the N Twin water crossings are rock hoppable these days. I believe many skip the first 2 crossings and wonder how well marked or followed that is, and then really wonder about that third crossing as from what I remember, that one is the toughest.

Also Galeheads crossings going down? But think I read someone's trip report saying all those crossings were easily rock hoppable.

Any thoughts on this hike and route? Seems like a good one! Thanks!

Got the Twins on my mind again. Missed out on doing them last year and its getting to be that time again where I want to plan a trip and check them out. My plan is to car spot at Galehead Trail where we will end up, and start over at North Twin Tr. So hit N Twin, S Twin, down to Galehead Hut, galeheads peak and then down and out via Galehead Tr.

Just wondering if the N Twin water crossings are rock hoppable these days. I believe many skip the first 2 crossings and wonder how well marked or followed that is, and then really wonder about that third crossing as from what I remember, that one is the toughest.

Also Galeheads crossings going down? But think I read someone's trip report saying all those crossings were easily rock hoppable.

Any thoughts on this hike and route? Seems like a good one! Thanks!

I dont think you will have problems with the crossings. I did it in june and the water was low and it not rain to much since then.
Look my TR and my photos:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=347671&postcount=1

https://picasaweb.google.com/yvondaigle/TwinMountains4Juin2011#slideshow/5615643955471874994

Water levels are pretty low right now.

New signs at the crossings on N Twin Trail should help you locate them a bit more easily.

Have a great hike, and would you please pm me with any trail conditions that might need maintainer attention ? (blowdowns, etc on N Twin Tr)

Thanks and happy trails!

I hiked the North Twin trail on last Saturday. I skipped the first two crossings (from the road). The "bushwhack" has a very defined herd path and is very easy to follow. I remarked that it was better than quite a few real trails I've hiked.

I'm sure the first two crossings are doable, but there was enough water that I didn't want to bother with it.

The third crossing wasn't bad, although I did use several partially submerged stepping stones. I was glad I had a pole for balance.

I two recomend the bushwhack for the first two crossing it is super easy to follow. the third gave me a little trouble but that was in november, I bet you will get by it quickly. Have fun I hope the weather is nice that is one of the best hikes i have ever done. You will chuckle when you get all the way to galehead hut and there is a wheelchair access ramp!

IMG_2009C.jpg

We can see the by-pass trail, along the brook to the left of Annie exactly at the first crossing.

Completed this yesterday. Water crossings were easy. Did follow the bypass even though those crossings looked do able. Awesome loop and was surprised how easy the Twins are from that direction. The toughest part may have been down South Twin to the hut... That steep part was some serious knee pounding. Trails all in good shape.

I did notice mountain bikers starting in on the North Twin Trail when I got back to my car a little before 3. Are those allowed?