Heads up on the Mahoosuc Trail from Gorham

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I heard from what I believe is a reliable source that anyone planning to access the Mahoosuc trail on the southern end in Gorham NH should be aware that the crossing of the Androscoggin River over the power dam is apparently closed permanently by the dam's new owners. There is an alternate crossing upriver via the snowmachine trail that runs on the old railroad bed but there is not yet any marked trail relocation. I dont have my maps readilly availlable but I expect that it roughly doubles the distance to where the Mahoosuc cuts into the woods. If someone goes all the way to the dam, it would be even a longer detour.

For the time being, I would recomend the following,

Cross the railroad trestle via the wooden walkway (watch your head!).

At the end of the trestle take a right and immediately scramble up the steep banking to your left. This will put you on the snowmachine trail that crosses over route 16 on the top of the trestle. (nice view of the northern presidentials from the middle).

Go roughly northeast on the old railroad bed, it gradually curves NNE to the bridge over the river (its actually the canal to the dam).

Cross the bridge and continue straight to a 4 way intersection (the old track is now running almost due north). Take a right and walk through the woods until you hit a dirt road.

Take a right on the dirt road that roughly parallels a powerline.

Head south on the road until you are within sight of the dam, keep an eye to your left for the Mahoosuc trail sign.

If you get to the dam turn around.

When I have a chance I will go check it out. Its too bad as the walk up to Mascot Pond and the Leadmine ledges was a very popular walk for locals, plus this was a convienient blue blaze for AT northbounders.

The alternate is to access the trail via the Hogan Road which is somewhat improved logging road that is accessed via North road in Shelburne. (see the Centennial Trail info) for finding this road. Its long drive in and there is no parking at the Mahoosuc Trail turn off.

To further confuse things, the state of NH is discussing closing the wooden walkway under the trestle. If that occurs, the only way public access the top of the trestle is from a parking lot on route 2 a couple of miles west of rt 16.

thanks for the heads up, I was planning a hike to Mt Hayes next year...

those of you who are lucky enough to live up north there:
This would be an appropriate concern (problematic access to the start of the Mahoosuc Trail) to bring to the attention of any local pro-hiking-trail group you can think of, or local governments (does either Gorham or Shelburne have a conservation commission or parks & recreation commission? Selectmen have also been known to do helpful things from time to time...) or state representative.

Or AMC for that matter, although I don't know how much useful clout they have in Berlin/Gorham these days.

AMC is aware of the situation and I suspect that a relo will appear by next year. It will still be longer than going by the dam but the walk over the canal via the old railroad bridge, is going to be more pleasant that walking over the dam.

BTW, the old railroad right of way in this area is an underused gem. The walk around Gorham Hill from Randolph through the Moose River valley is a real great walk with some great terrain and level walking.(all sorts of tempting campsites right on the river) The walk from the railroad trestle up the east side of the river to the dam at the papermill (no crossing) with a side trip to the Alpine Cascades (one of the biggest tourist attractions in the Whites in the 1800's) is a great walk. The snowmachiners use it in the winter but in the summer it gets almost no use.