west point invades Harriman state Park!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I've alwauys wondered what the regs were.

I see they expect dogs to be on a 6' leash and muzzeled? I've never seen anyone with a muzzeled dog in the park, let alone leashed in most cases. I guess that is the "I told you so" law if anyone gets bit?

I guess alot of the rules are more common sense but....

Interesting, I see in the Catskills rules, dogs are not allowed to bath or drink out of water sources. Why?

I think that might be possible.

I know there is a part of the park just north of lake tiorati that is a designated area the park has used to allow orienteering events. I'm not sure if there is an official designation of this area or if it is just used as a matter of practice.

I'm don't think this is the only area used for official orientering events as I have seen orienteering events being run in other parts of the park and assume they were occuring with approval.

I know that some routine hikers of the park have enquired about the "use of established ways" rule with the intention of getting approval or permission to travel off trail. Suffice to say, the rule still exists.

Silver mine area has an "orienteering course"

Some of their paddling rules are equally perplexing.. :)

jay

Interesting, I see in the Catskills rules, dogs are not allowed to bath or drink out of water sources. Why?

Wow, I never heard of that! The bears are allowed to do whatever they want in water sources! :eek: I suppose there are some diseases, etc. that dogs might pass to humans, that bears do not? Where did you see that rule?

In any case, not letting your dog have a drink from a stream on a hot summer day sounds cruel. :(

I would also agree it is cruel but here it is, splain it to me?

•Keep your pet under control. Restrain it on a leash when others approach. Collect and bury droppings away from water, trails and camp sites. Keep your pet away from drinking water sources.

Found here....
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

I would also agree it is cruel but here it is, splain it to me?

•Keep your pet under control. Restrain it on a leash when others approach. Collect and bury droppings away from water, trails and camp sites. Keep your pet away from drinking water sources.

Found here....
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html
Hmmm, I wonder if that means spring pipes, and water faucets at camp grounds, etc., not streams?

Also, that page says 'Rules and guidelines for the use of public lands managed by DEC are generally as follows:', so it may not apply everywhere.

Last edited:
the reality is that the NY budget for parks is dwindling each year. it is unfortunate but one of the bright spots is that there are fewer rangers around in harriman to enforce ridiculous rules such as those relating to off trail hiking, swimming, and dogs. of course if a dog misbehaves and someone complains they haveto respond but if people stay below the radar it shouldnt be a problem.. cant speak for other parks tho

Pelahm Bay Park in the Bronx has been invaded as well. I saw a truck load of em unloading just after the Hutchenson River Bridge into the woods. They were dressed in camo doning full packs as I passed on my bike the other day. I really like that new camo it really blends well with the background, I almost ran some of em over, never saw em against the foliage till they moved. :eek: