Camping in area of Carter Hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Quick question: wondering if anyone has pitched a tent in the col between Carter Dome and Wildcat A, around Carter Hut someplace.
Or up around the summit of Carter Dome?
Are there any legal spots around there to recommend? You can PM me if you like.
Thanks.

The quarter-mile exclusion zone around the hut pretty well fills the notch. The sides of the notch are VERY steep, not attractive for camping. (I think I remember thick fir and spruce, too...) Looking at a map I'd think you'd have more luck down by 19 mile brook around the 3000' contour. On Carter Dome just above the notch there's a sidehill section around 4000' that might be OK if you hunt around hard (not much reliable water though, and again, I think the vegetation is a little unfriendly).

Last edited:
There's spots on the backside of Carter Dome, heading into the Wild River Valley. Not water though, so you have to schlep it with you.

I think I spotted a sight beyond the hut on the ?Wildcat River Trail?. It was outside the 1/4 mile zone, south of the hut, but it was right beside the trail. So, I can't say if it is legal or not. Anyone know the spot I'm talking about?

I think I spotted a sight beyond the hut on the ?Wildcat River Trail?. It was outside the 1/4 mile zone, south of the hut, but it was right beside the trail. So, I can't say if it is legal or not. Anyone know the spot I'm talking about?

I've seen it, and last time saw it there was a "No Camping" sign on it.

There are three options last I was there.

At the height of land, on the Wildcat Ridge Trail just outside the FPA boundary before the trail starts to climb up away from the 19-Mile Brook Trail.

On the Carter-Moriah Trail there's a small flat campsite just outside the FPA boundary as the trail climbs up away from its starting point between the two lakes.

On the Wildcat River Trail outside the FPA boundary. I also remember a site inside the boundary, this is likely the one marked for no camping. Just go down a little further.

These are likely to be occupied during peak Thru-Hiker season.

None of these are ideal sites; they're not necessarily pleasant places to stay, but they're options nonetheless. Personally I'd go a lot further down the Wildcat River Trail to where it opens into beautiful birch woods.