Abandoned Downs Brook Slide Trail - Passaconaway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Some friends and I did the Whiteface Passaconaway loop via Downes Brook, Kate Sleeper, Rollins, Dicey Mill, Walden trail and then down the former Downes Brook Slide trail route. The Downes Brook Slide Route officially abandoned since the forties is still very obvious when descending the mountain. It follows a well worn path that runs down the spine of steep ridge for a distance before dropping down into a old grown in slide path. There was an attempt to brush in the entrance to the trail from the viewpoint on Walden trail but its very obvious and the brush is easily walked over. The USFS ensures that you are on the trail by installing a sign informing all hikers that this is a unmaintained hiking trail about 50 feet in from the entrance. From there its a well worn route marked with old ax blazes. The route is very steep and the presence of moss on the trail bed makes for interesting footing in places. In a few places the trail zigs or zags off the old slide for a short distance usually to avoid a steep spot. At one point the trail bed widens out and the route is less obvious and its easy to follow a drainage path onto some steep rock slabs that can be treacherous when damp. The actual route appears to go left of the upper ledges to skip the worst ones but its easy to miss the turn.

Eventually the trail intersects with a series of open granite slabs with a brook cascading its way down in spots The actual old route generally skips the worse drops of the ledges by going to the right side but I expect most folks will follow the stream bed except for a few spots. As the route descends the granite slope widens out. At the head of one particularly large expanse of granite there was what looks to be a hand forged iron ring pinned into a rock. Except for the apparent age, it looked like a top belay point for climbers. At the base of this expanse of granite was a couple of sharp drops with a water cascade and at the base of the cascade was a 100' by 70' pool that appears to have been built up over the years by some rock dams. It would be quite a place on a hot day to go swimming but we were running late.

After following the stream down and occasionally running to the right into the woods to skip some ledges we eventually came to the back side of another USFS sign warning us of the fact that it was not a trail and within 100 feet we came out on Downes Brook trail.

I do realize that some folks prefer going up this route rather than going down down and we met two of them heading up while we were descending. I expect its more of a navigational challenge locating where the trail finally goes into the woods as the painted out blazes and cairns are long gone from the ledges. The standard caveat applies that one of the reason this is such a nice trip is that it is unmarked and does require some minimal navigation skills, I hope it stays this way. I had the 1st edition WOC map that shows all the abandoned trails and routes in the area (since sanitized to remove these) but a prewar AMC guide or even a topo map would be enough to plan a trip.

I do this route every few years and always have a good time. If you have not done it, its worth checking out, although you should be comfortable traversing granite slabs and definitely time the visit when its dry.

We took our time on the loop and it was warm, but the overall loop was about 8 hours including breaks. Given the very nice grading of the Downes brook trail and the short section of the Sleeper trail up to the ridge line I expect trail runners could cut a considerable time off our time.

I love hearing the off the beaten path trail reports. Although, from what it sounds like, the path is pretty beaten, for being abandoned. I am surprised to hear you went down the steep trail rather than up.

Is there a particular reason this was abandoned? Also, I have a picture below of Passaconaway below. Is the slide on the side of the mountain (visible granite) the actual slide trail? Or is this just a random slide on the mountain?

Do you have any pictures of the trail? Would love to see them!

72328_1467263239095_1158978130_31119930_4075556_n.jpg

Karl

i have been up it a couple times and would just guess that it was abandoned because when it's wet, it's EXTREMELY slippery - probably VERY dangerous most of the year.

Sorry no photos or GPS track log. Trust me its worth visiting the lower section in good weather. Hopefully I have attached a image of a 3d version of the USGS topo looking up the valley that sort of lines up with the photo with the Summit of Passaconaway just out of the picture. The purple line is the route I expect we took. The start point is immediately to the left of the north viewpoint on the Waldron trail spur (that many folks skip and is arguably the best view on Pasaconaway). From there it follows the top of the ridge before dropping down the old slide route. The rocks underfoot are loose and covered with moss. You have to walk carefully picking where to step and on occasion need to hold onto a tree. If there were hoards of people using the trail it would erode out quickly and the potential for rock fall on people below would be high if the ground cover disappeared.

The actual original route skipped a large amount of the slabs, but if someone is bushwhacking the natural route is up the slabs. Unfortunately the upper set of slabs are tilted downwards at a steep angle and have many sections with a biological film of some sort that is slick when its wet, if you hit it on a damp day the slide down could be fairly long and painful. As mentioned the original trail bypasses most of this section but it is not easy to find. On the lower slabs the trail stayed in the woods or on the edge of the slabs, but of course the temptation is to go down the slabs which can be done but be aware that water runs down sections of it and those sections can be slick.

I always prefer going down a steep trail as most folks tend to get in trouble going up and then discovering they cant turn around. Plus the route finding is easier as the only exit from the valley is via the brook, so if in doubt head down. I have done this route in late May when there was still snow in the woods on the upper section of the Downes Brook trail and dont remember it being much slipperier. Like anywhere else there are many spots where a bad decision could be dangerous, as we worked our way down we took our time and discussed our options, someone who just blindly cruises down the path of least resistance could get into trouble.

Like many old trails in the whites, once the soils are damaged by many hikers, the trail route is easy to find after many years. There are very few small trees or shrubs in the upper section. There is evidence in a few spots of someone doing maintenance 15 or 20 years ago. Barring a major new slide, I expect the upper section will be easy to follow for many more years. In general, I think abandoned trails like these definitely shouldn't be on trail maps and should only be done by those that have off trail and route finding experience.

Last edited:
The actual original route skipped a large amount of the slabs, but if someone is bushwhacking the natural route is up the slabs.
I'll bet the actual original route was up the slabs and the bypasses are a later correction. Many original routes used slides, but most of these have been relocated (Sabbaday) or closed (Adams).

Dennis, If you "hope it stays this way," why are you posting here. The USFS closed this trail for very good reasons. Hiking it in winter far less erosive on the upper part.