"Flow" experiences while hiking ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Looking for AT stats I located this article which describes a survey of AT thru-hikers regarding their "Flow" experiences.

Is "Flow" a common concept that I've missed discussions of for the past 40 years ? If I normally experience a "loss of selfconsciousness, altered sense of time, a merging of action and awareness-" while hiking, is that "Flow" ? Is this some overly bookish attempt to label and study something as common and simple as enjoying the hike ? I'm mostly a day and over-nighter, so perhaps longer stretches create some other experience I've missed ?

Say while doing 3 day weekends on new peaks or trails, I think flow is common at least to me..views and new terrain is important to me, and once I'm doing that I seem to experience that definition of "flow..."

Similar to an athlete's experience of being "in the zone" maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

"Colloquial terms for this or similar mental states include: to be on the ball, in the moment, present, in the zone, wired in, in the groove, or keeping your head in the game."

In essence, you feel like everything is going on instinct. Specifically regarding sports, it's like you are completely calm and your body knows what to do next without thinking. Time seems to slow down, work is effortless, etc.

Last edited:
Sounds like just new words for the long time and common idea of a "runner's high" among long distance runners. The theory I have read on this is that a repetitive physical activity tends to put parts of the consciousness to sleep, or into a semi-hypnotic state, creating the "whatever you want to call it" experience. When repeated day after day, it becomes easier and more natural to enter such a state.

Sounds like just new words for the long time and common idea of a "runner's high" among long distance runners. The theory I have read on this is that a repetitive physical activity tends to put parts of the consciousness to sleep, or into a semi-hypnotic state, creating the "whatever you want to call it" experience. When repeated day after day, it becomes easier and more natural to enter such a state.

I think the same applies to game theory. Practice keeps you thinking about the objective, but using those skills in a "game" setting is controlled by a different part of the brain relating to reflex (if my understanding is correct). I.E. You practice by consciously "thinking" about the actions but when you are "in the zone" they are reflexive.

Flow would, to me, be a combination of active "Learning" and "Automaticity". Reacting instinctively to a situation composed of varying, but familiar, external sources, while simultaneously comprehending the event. This is speaking from personal experience of being "in the zone" during a hockey game, or soccer game. Can't say I've had the same experience while running, but then again, I hate running :)

At least to me, when I thru-hiked te AT, the experience I had regarding "flow" had more to do with becoming more tuned in to nature and its natural cycles and my own physiology. This experience did not come on for well over a month, maybe two. Unlike runner's high, which was a frequent occurrence, the flow of long distance backpacking has much to do with becoming "tuned in." As you forget the ring of a phone, the sound of traffic, calendars, clocks, appointments, deadlines, stress, etc...slowly the more natural and basic needs of the body and mind are more apparent. Food when hungry, water when thirsty, rest when tired, companionship when lonely, and maybe a couple others. I was able to return at least in some sense, to living in a much more "real" and less "fabricated" world. Simplicity has much to do with it IMO. As the details from the less important, nonsensical, daily grind fade into the background, they are replaced with more basic instincts, more raw emotion, and certainly a much more physically in tune body. My senses of smell and hearing heightened significantly. My body rose and slept with the sun, and before long, miles were just miles, the number no longer made much difference.

I believe that the "flow" experienced by long distance backpackers has much to do with a cleansing or a washing away of those details of daily life that often mask the more basic human needs and block energy flow in the body. Feeding those basic needs is a very natural process and I think that can be felt as it is achieved.

We are from the earth. Long distance backpacking takes us close our roots again through a physiological, emotional, physical, and spritual journey. It does not happen overnight or even in a week of intense physical activity, at least what I am describing. It involves more than the exercise. It is also a truly humbling and wonderful experience.

Others may have different experiences with this - to be fair, my partner and I thru-hiked in much solitude. We were very late season south bounders who thru-hiked late into the winter and as the days grew short, our encounters with other people became more infrequent. Solitude was a big part of our journey.

It could mean the spirituality I feel when doing an exhilarating activity. I attribute this to the reduced oxygen in comparison for its demand which in turn induces a sharper focus on the immediate surroundings and conditions and one's humble presence within that sphere.

On the other hand, it could mean the beer and tequila that flows afterward.

The theory I have read on this is that a repetitive physical activity tends to put parts of the consciousness to sleep, or into a semi-hypnotic state, creating the "whatever you want to call it" experience. When repeated day after day, it becomes easier and more natural to enter such a state.
Sustained repetitive exercises are a form of meditation.

Doug

Similar to an athlete's experience of being "in the zone" maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

"Colloquial terms for this or similar mental states include: to be on the ball, in the moment, present, in the zone, wired in, in the groove, or keeping your head in the game."

In essence, you feel like everything is going on instinct. Specifically regarding sports, it's like you are completely calm and your body knows what to do next without thinking. Time seems to slow down, work is effortless, etc.

Agree. "Flow" seems to be that Hungarian psychology professor's name for it: Zen type stuff. High proficiency at the task allowing doing without thinking. I'm not a fantastic hiker, but it's a relatively simple task, so "flow" occurs fairly easily. I can imagine a great climber or skier, who no longer needs to think and plan ahead, experiencing it.

Dude, knowing you and given the thread title, I was expecting the discussion to be about "clear and copious" and separation breaks. ;)

Haven't worked my way into the flow whilst hiking, but have gotten into the zone a couple times on trail runs. It's cool when it happens, but I don't expect it every time, nor do I try to force it.

Is "Flow" a common concept that I've missed discussions of for the past 40 years ? If I normally experience a "loss of selfconsciousness, altered sense of time, a merging of action and awareness-" while hiking, is that "Flow" ? Is this some overly bookish attempt to label and study something as common and simple as enjoying the hike ? I'm mostly a day and over-nighter, so perhaps longer stretches create some other experience I've missed ?

I think it is overly intelligentsiased. It's something all can experience in their own way and to the degree they are able too.

I can get lost in it easy during long walks even around home. It's best along the canal path.

During some long solo hikes I have experienced a clarity of mind that is akin to what is described here as flow. My mind will drift off into periods of non-conscious thought as I felt as if I was absorbed by the woods around me. I call it cruising but what you call it is unimportant. I have even had times where I would return to conscious thinking and literally not know what trail I was on. I’ve had to stop walking and figure out where I was. I have walked through trail junctions and not remember it. Like a Talking Head, I have wondered “how did I get here?” I had been drifting along with the ebb and flow (there’s that word again) of the trail and letting the sub-conscious part of me lead the way. My consciousness was just along for the ride.

JohnL

My mind will drift off into periods of non-conscious thought as I felt as if I was absorbed by the woods around me.
JohnL

this happens to me more than I care to admit :)
(drives my husband nuts) ;-)

Personally, I think it's a great state of consciousness to strive for...( though it can be sometimes irritating to others around you in certain situations)... Non attatchment, dissociation, " in the zone", in the moment, " flow", thinking of " nothing"--whatever you want to call it - I think it amounts to the ego getting out of the drivers seat and letting yourself go in the rhythm of life.

I think we can experience these states in many of our daily activities, it may be easier during outdoor endurance activities because we are functioning within our own realm and not as prone to distraction

Last edited:
Personally, I think it's a great state of consciousness to strive for...( though it can be sometimes irritating to others around you in certain situations)... Non attatchment, dissociation, " in the zone", in the moment, " flow", thinking of " nothing"--whatever you want to call it - I think it amounts to the ego getting out of the drivers seat and letting yourself go in the rhythm of life.
This is quite the opposite of what I experience. I detach but not to the point of thinking of nothing. Instead, my senses are heightened and I think with a lot different emphasis on what I think about. Everyday cares from "civilization" are obliterated by connection with the immediate environment, be it a rock, a tree, a toad or the heavens. So intense is this "flow" that it is in a sense, spiritual, and that is what provides a great joy in the event.

... I must admit, however, that this spell is occasionally broken by a little voice from the back of my brain, probably prompted by a chorus consisting of my legs, lungs and stomach, that says, "Are we almost there?"

This is quite the opposite of what I experience. I detach but not to the point of thinking of nothing. Instead, my senses are heightened and I think with a lot different emphasis on what I think about. E"

Isn't that called "being" not "thinking" ? :D

For me, that is what "flow" is -- operating from my "being" part instead of my "thinking" part..:)

... I must admit, however, that this spell is occasionally broken by a little voice from the back of my brain, probably prompted by a chorus consisting of my legs, lungs and stomach, that says, "Are we almost there?"

Too funny!

this happens to me more than I care to admit :)
/QUOTE]

Gulity a lot like daydreaming

though it can be sometimes irritating to others around you in certain situations

They think you're ignoring them or not paying attention. With people, disstrations, around it is harder to slip away.

I think we can experience these states in many of our daily activities, it may be easier during outdoor endurance activities because we are functioning within our own realm and not as prone to distraction[

Besides long walks along the canal it works great on the treadmill, walking, not running. It doesn't have to be something that goes on for hours. You can slip in and out of it for a few min depending on the acticity and conditions.