Sleepin' with the Pyramids, 07302011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Date: Saturday July30,2011
Peaks/Trails: East Sleeper, West Sleeper, and the 3 Tripyramids via Downes Brook, Kate Sleeper, Mt Tripyramid, and Pine Bend Brook trails.
Trail Conditions: Downes Brook was pretty slick from recent rain. Kate Sleeper and everything else was in good shape. One good size blowdown on Pine Bend Brook.
Cast of Characters: Jim, Jolene, Ken, Dana, Kate, Brenda, Dave, Shawn, John, and me

Commentary
Well, you know you're off to a good start when you have "Bladder control" problems on the way to the trailhead! On the drive to the trailhead, my new Nalgene bladder dumped its contents soaking my entire pack, clothes, and my trail runners which just happen to be sitting underneath the pack. I thought it was the lid, so I added more water, tightened the lid, and started the hike in wet socks, wet shoes......good times. Well, it wasn't the lid, and before long I felt water dripping down my backside. The bottom seam was leaking and it will be returned. I was worried about this stitched seam design.
We all met up at the Downes Brook trail head, then spotted Dana's truck at the Pine Bend Brook trail head. Then the group of ten hikers headed up the Downes Brook trail under sunny conditions and pretty much ideal temps. This is a "Water crossings galore" trail, and I think we lost count after 7 crossings.

"Don't cross the river, if you can't swim the tide"
SAM_1572.JPG

Kate needed Whiteface for her NH48 list (The relentless peakbagger she is). So, she took off up ahead to tag Whiteface. We figured we would meet her, up at the height of the land at the trail intersection. The Downs Brook trail gains elevation gradually while going back and forth across the brook. There was a nice trail side camping area just after the last crossing, and more up by the intersection with the Kate Sleeper trail. Dana and I headed up towards Whiteface while the others headed towards the Sleepers. We ran into Kate and then chased after the others. The Kate Sleeper trail is the type of trail that you could hike on all day- very soft footing and fairly level. We came upon Jim and Jolene just up ahead and we continued along on the smooth trail. We took the short jaunt over towards the viewless East Sleeper summit. It's on the hundred highest list, so might as well tag it.

The view overload summit of East Sleeper (ha,ha)
SAM_1580.JPG

Up and over West Sleeper and towards the South Tripyramid slide. Dave, Brenda, Ken, Shawn, and John were waiting further up the slide and we all regrouped on South Tripyramid.

South Tripyramid summit, Everyone say "I love water-crossings!"
SAM_1588.JPG

Like most hikes I seem to partake in....as the day wears on, the silliness factor increases. Talk of carrying strange and interesting objects up peaks is often a popular conversation of mine. Me and CrazyBob had talked about stripping down a Port-a-potty to ultralight status, strapping it to an external frame pack and hauling it up a mountain. Other crazy ideas- carrying along a mannequin and posing at the summits. I suggested maybe carrying a "couch" up a summit. You know, I nice couch. Not, no Goodwill special. A sectional perhaps. All this would be strictly for shock value of course. Kinda like a hikers version of MTV's Jacka$$....Just imagine the look on the faces of hikers watching a couple guys carry a couch up a 4K peak- priceless!
The trip over the pyramids went well and before long we were on North Tripyramid. We all went to the view point down on the North slide. It's a heck of a drop, but the views were awesome. The hike back up left many uttering and mumbling an occasional profanity.....

The top of the North Slide
SAM_1594.JPG

Osceolas
SAM_1593.JPG

A little Google Earth action
sleepers_pyramids.jpg

With the peaks under our belt, it was time for the exit hike down the Pine Bend Brook trail. I've only been on this trail once, with about 6ft of snow on it. It's always interesting to see how different trails look and feel with in different seasons. It's pretty steep and rocky on the upper section. There were a few slips and slides, but nothing too serious. Once things leveled off, we hammered the last couple miles to the sounds of Harley's in the distance.
Down at the Kanc, all ten of us hopped in Dana's Tacoma and headed back to the Downes Brook trail head. At no time, was anyone ever in danger! Quick trail-gating celebration of Budlimes and homemade cookies (Don't knock it until you've tried it), before we all said our goodbyes and began our journey back to reality.

Stats:: 13 miles, 4k of ele, 8 hrs 15min

great hike folks!

Petch

Slideshow from this trip

Last edited:
Nice report. Downes Brook trail sounds a lot like Sabbaday Brook trail. "I love water crossings".

I was on the Pine Bend Brook trail in June on a trail clearing trip with the Forest Service (as a volunteer). As I recall we did leave some step-overs as it was wilderness but maybe the blowdown you mention is recent.

nice Owls t shirt! you had a big crowd, anything to do with the fact that Bob & I weren't on the trip? :eek:

great reading as usual!

Great trail report! That stinks about your bladder. It's not a good way to start a day of hiking, but sounds like you made it into a great day. Congrats to Kate for hitting Whiteface for the 48.

Awesome pictures too. The Google map with the GPS points is helpful to visualizing your route while you're reading the report!

Thanks,
Karl

Nice report. Downes Brook trail sounds a lot like Sabbaday Brook trail. "I love water crossings".

I was on the Pine Bend Brook trail in June on a trail clearing trip with the Forest Service (as a volunteer). As I recall we did leave some step-overs as it was wilderness but maybe the blowdown you mention is recent.

Thx Cooperhill. Yeah, the blow down was more of a step over I guess. Thank you for your efforts in trail maintaining!

nice Owls t shirt! you had a big crowd, anything to do with the fact that Bob & I weren't on the trip? :eek:

great reading as usual!

Keith- It's a Windham Eagles shirt....yeah I guess you and CrazyBob may be discouraging others from coming....;)

Great trail report! That stinks about your bladder. It's not a good way to start a day of hiking, but sounds like you made it into a great day. Congrats to Kate for hitting Whiteface for the 48.

Awesome pictures too. The Google map with the GPS points is helpful to visualizing your route while you're reading the report!

Thanks,
Karl

Thx Karl. Google Earth is pretty neat. I like checking out NH peaks, changing the angles, etc. When you can't be there, it's the next best thing....

Petch

Petch,
Great day for hiking despite the few problems you ran into. Nice loop. Was that an AMC hike?
BTW, we recently bought a new sofa and gave away our old one (still in fine shape). Maybe you could have used it? ;)

Donna:)

Petch,
Great day for hiking despite the few problems you ran into. Nice loop. Was that an AMC hike?
BTW, we recently bought a new sofa and gave away our old one (still in fine shape). Maybe you could have used it? ;)

Donna:)

Donna,
This wasn't an AMC hike. Just a loop I mapped out that looked interesting. I've seen where some folks have added Passaconaway and Whiteface with the 3 Tri's, for 16+ miles. This one was about 13miles.
Yeah, hold on to that couch!!!;) Just leave it by the side of the road, and I'll pick it up later.....:eek:

Petch