Trail running

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmac

Reaction score
I have a question for those on the forum that trail run, specifically in the whites and longer runs. Do you bring a headlamp, rain gear,first aide, water?
Does someone know your running plans?
Thanks.
Kmac

Well I run in the Adirondacks, but here's my take on those things:

Headlamp - always, even on a morning run. Modern headlamps are so small and light you can carry them without noticing them. And if you do end up out at night, they make all the difference.

Rain gear - depends on season / forecast. During really hot summer, I don't bother, even if it might rain.

Water - depends on length, sometimes carry a filter. A lot of the serious guys just drink the brooks in the interest of time. I'm slow, so I don't need to take that chance.

First aid - not much. After decades in the woods, and as an EMT, I've found that the two categories: "it will get better by itself" and "you can't fix it anyway" cover the vast majority of injuries / illnesses. Cuts, bruises, minor sprains - just keep going. Broken leg - you can't fix it with anything you can carry and you will need evac. The rare exception might be a deep cut where it's hard to control bleeding, or a known illness where you can carry a specific symptomatic med.

Tell someone where I'm going - always. It's free and easy to do, and results in a prompt and less expensive search and evac, rather than a stupid Aaron Ralston situation.

TCD

Hey Karen! Hope you're doing well. Are we training for an ultra, perhaps...? ;)

Like Tom, I've only run in the ADKs (and it was only a couple times), but I have a similar take: yes on headlamp, rain shell and water and no on the first aid kit.

Speaking of headlamps, I actually wear one when doing road runs around town. My Princeton Tec Fuel light has a flash function which helps to get the cell-phone-impaired local drivers' attention. Usually. :rolleyes:

(If you see some LED-blinking fool in a neon yellow tech shirt and black shorts running along Rt. 302 before work some morning...that'd be me!)

No ultras for me.... It seems as though the trail runners are running long distances in remote areas and are not prepared for weather changes or injuries. It just doesn't make sense to me, whether your hiking or running in the wilderness you should be prepared.

Headlamp? Usually.

Rain gear? Almost never.

First aid? Minimal.

Water? Rivers.

Someone know your plans? Usually, but then I change them half way through.