A Grid Finish and a Flurry of Red Line Finishers with a Big Same Day Double Finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
There have been a flurry of recent grid and red line finishers this past July and now August. The recaps are below. Congratulations to all finishers!

On July 2, 2011 Pete Crane (note: not Peter Crane that everyone knows from the Mt. Washington Observatory) from Burlington, MA pulled off the big double finish. He finished his red lining pursuit with the short (but steep) 0.1 drop down the Cabot Spring Spur off the Kilkenny Ridge trail to become the 6th red line finisher. He then finished hiking up Mt. Cabot to complete his 576 (the Grid 48x12) becoming the 19th Grid finisher and the first person to complete both big lists and he completed both lists on the same hike! Incredible. Congratulations Pete!!

Four days later, on July 6, 2011 Jane Gibbons from Sweden, ME completed her red lining on the Black Angel trail. Jane became the 7th red line finisher and the oldest finisher at 74 years young. Jane has also completed 48 of the 50 state highpoints. Congratulations Jane!!

On July 23, 2011 Mike LaRoss from Vermont completed his red lining on the Signal Mountain trail (now abandoned) becoming the 8th red line finisher. Mike was working on the trails in the 24th edition of the AMC White Mountain Guide. Congratulations Mike!!

On August 1, 2011 John Gutowski (one half of J&J) completed his red lining on the Crawford Cliff Spur off the Crawford Connector. John became the 9th red line finisher and the second person to have completed both the 576 (completed April 24, 2011, finisher #16. John finished together with his wife June Rogier, also #16) and red lining all the trails in the AMC White Mountain Guide. Congratulations John!!

The fun just never ends!!!!!

Last edited:
There have been a flurry of recent grid and red line finishers this past July and now August. The recaps are below. Congratulations to all finishers!

On July 2, 2011 Pete Crane (note: not Peter Crane that everyone knows from the Mt. Washington Observatory) from Burlington, MA pulled off the big double finish. He finished his red lining pursuit with the short (but steep) 0.1 drop down the Cabot Spring Spur off the Kilkenny Ridge trail to become the 6th red line finisher. He then finished hiking up Mt. Cabot to complete his 576 (the Grid 48x12) becoming the 19th Grid finisher and the first person to complete both big lists and he completed both lists on the same hike! Incredible. Congratulations Pete!!

Four days later, on July 6, 2011 Jane Gibbons from Sweden, ME completed her red lining on the Black Angel trail. Jane became the 7th red line finisher and the oldest finisher at 74 years young. Jane has also completed 48 of the 50 state highpoints. Congratulations Jane!!

On July 23, 2011 Mike LaRoss from Vermont completed his red lining on the Signal Mountain trail (now abandoned) becoming the 8th red line finisher. Mike was working on the trails in the 24th edition of the AMC White Mountain Guide. Congratulations Mike!!

On August 1, 2011 John Gutowski (one half of J&J) completed his red lining on the Crawford Cliff Spur off the Crawford Connector. John became the 9th red line finisher and the second person to have completed both the 576 (completed April 24, 2011) and red lining all the trails in the AMC White Mountain Guide. Congratulations John!!

The fun just never ends!!!!!

Congratulations ! Quite the accomplishments. I was going to ask how you knew all this had occured, but I guess the community of "gridders" and "red liners" is pretty tight.

Great accomplishments! Just curious how everyone knows who has finished red-lining?

I don't know Ed Hawkins, and I've never seen that list before. Interesting that it's spoken as gospel who has completed what.

The spreadsheet is pretty awesome and must have taken some time to create!

Really appreciate the efforts of those who are sharing it; I have got to start filling mine in before it becomes too big a job!

Congrats to the 8 finishers! That's alot of trails explored :)

I am impressed that Pete Crane was able to complete both The Grid and WM Redlining on the same hike -- that takes some forethought!

Last edited:
Congratulations John and all! Great personal accomplishments and mile upon mile of natural beauty.

Good for you.

Congrats John!!

I just hiked Crawford Cliff for the first time last Thursday!! Steep little trail! So many fun less explored trails out there..........so little time!! :)

I have got to start filling mine in before it becomes too big a job!

Yes, don't wait. It can be a real #$%# to go back and try to do it from memory. I had to jog two decades of memories to remember some, so there are bound to be a few that I am sure I have missed.

Interesting that the number of trail-baggers seems to be catching up with the number of peak-baggers.

I would say that you could finish all the trails in the WMG in fewer miles than 12x48, and you get to pick the optimum season for each. And while a few trails are very difficult, on average they are easier than 4k routes. It would seem to be the ideal project for trail runners.

Congratulations! That's a remarkable feat and one that must actually be fun - it has been for me, anyway, in my own under-the-radar pursuit. In fact, I hope to be the first to complete the Red-Lining Grid (RLG) - every trail in the WMG in every month - and expect to wear out more than one pair of hiking boots before I'm done. Don't look for progress reports - I intend to spring it on you when I finish.