1st Edition WMG

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have no tie in with the sale or seller, but did want to mention the current E-bay auction for a first edition WMG on Ebay. I see that currently it is below reserve. It will be interesting to see what the reserve was and if its met after the auction is over

The market for these older guides have been interesting of late. For awhile they dropped out of sight from the market and then over the past few months there were some fairly high prices paid for older versions. I expect the release of the centennial book a few years back had encouraged some folks to start collecting which drove up the prices to unsustainable and the market dropped and is now trying to find its way back. Of course there are always the optimists on Abe books to set the high end of the market.

Considering there were reportedly only 600 1st editions printed, it always amazes me that any ever come to market as one wouldn't expect that a guide intended to be taken into the field would have a long life. Even more surprising is that many of the guides for sale have the removable maps that were included as I know my maps get quite worn out long before a new guide is published. I expect most of them on them market may have been collected long ago and are just being recycled to the current crop of hikers as others downsize their possessions. I tend to pick them up for the information contained within and therefore many of mine tend to be tad bit well worn.

It is great that Google has at least the 1922 version available for all to view for free. I was surprised awhile back when searching for references to "Alpine Cascade" to get a high ranked link on Google to the old guide.

Someday when I get access to a large format scanner, I would like to do a slide show showing the progression of the trails in the whites over the years, although many of the major trails would stay the same, the rise and fall of the lesser trails would be interesting (at least to me) as well as the "mass extinction" of trails due to the aftermath of the hurricane and WW2.

I have no tie in with the sale or seller, but did want to mention the current E-bay auction for a first edition WMG on Ebay. I see that currently it is below reserve. It will be interesting to see what the reserve was and if its met after the auction is over

The market for these older guides have been interesting of late. For awhile they dropped out of sight from the market and then over the past few months there were some fairly high prices paid for older versions. I expect the release of the centennial book a few years back had encouraged some folks to start collecting which drove up the prices to unsustainable and the market dropped and is now trying to find its way back. Of course there are always the optimists on Abe books to set the high end of the market.

Considering there were reportedly only 600 1st editions printed, it always amazes me that any ever come to market as one wouldn't expect that a guide intended to be taken into the field would have a long life. Even more surprising is that many of the guides for sale have the removable maps that were included as I know my maps get quite worn out long before a new guide is published. I expect most of them on them market may have been collected long ago and are just being recycled to the current crop of hikers as others downsize their possessions. I tend to pick them up for the information contained within and therefore many of mine tend to be tad bit well worn.

It is great that Google has at least the 1922 version available for all to view for free. I was surprised awhile back when searching for references to "Alpine Cascade" to get a high ranked link on Google to the old guide.

Someday when I get access to a large format scanner, I would like to do a slide show showing the progression of the trails in the whites over the years, although many of the major trails would stay the same, the rise and fall of the lesser trails would be interesting (at least to me) as well as the "mass extinction" of trails due to the aftermath of the hurricane and WW2.

Google also has the 1907 (1st Ed) available:

AMC White Mountain Guide 1907

And the 1917 (3rd Ed):

AMC White Mountain Guide 1917

With mention to the rise and fall of lesser trails, excellent comparisons can be made between the 1936 guidebook and the one that followed in 1940. The Hurricane of 1938 devastated much of eastern New England and many trails had yet to be repaired, or in many cases, were abandoned altogether. Additionally, there was a supplement to the 1936 edition (10th ed) released in 1939 which included the re-opened trails following the hurricane.

Last edited:

I tried to figure this out in pre-computer days but never got far.

Part of the issue is that many trails went away in fact long before they disappeared from the book, while others gone from the book are still unofficially maintained :)

eBay has some other White Mountain guide books/maps as well, none of which I'd even heard of:

There's an 1862 Bradlee's guide, 1st edition, asking $799.
There's an 1869 Eastman's guide, 9th edition, asking $195.
There's an 1880 Chisholm's guide, asking $202.

As noted, there's also the 1907 AMC guide, bid is $305 and the reserve is not yet met.

eBay has some other White Mountain guide books/maps as well, none of which I'd even heard of:

There's an 1862 Bradlee's guide, 1st edition, asking $799.
There's an 1869 Eastman's guide, 9th edition, asking $195.
There's an 1880 Chisholm's guide, asking $202.

As noted, there's also the 1907 AMC guide, bid is $305 and the reserve is not yet met.

$305 will be steal if it is good condition with maps intact.

Ended up going for $735 plus $11 shipping for a total of $746. I remember back in the frenzied dot.com days, a 1st ed. went for $1,250. Remember, there were only 600 of them and I'll bet most of them ended up in landfills.

I don't suppose they have serial numbers but isn't there a high likelihood that the same copies keep get passed around?

Scenario: Guy wants old hiking book but doesn't have large sum of spare $ sitting around. Guy gets old and finally has the expendable resources. Guy enjoys book but doesn't dare hike with it. Guy dies. Guy's son or daughter who doesn't care about hiking sells it for a large sum of spare $...repeat.

Thanks alot for posting the link to the online 1st edition.

I just spend an hour browsing through it front to back, or top to bottom, rather:)

It would be fascinating to see a new book with compiled data of trails past and present, with explanations given of reasons why some trails were left to fall into disrepair, rerouted over time, and what brought the needs of various trails to be built in the first place. Giving credit to who initially cleared the paths and who maintained them. It was also particularly interesting to hear the descriptions of the huts and shelters from over 100 years ago. Photos of how they've been upgraded or completely rebuilt would be great to look at.

Of course I know a large portion of trails don't have interesting stories behind them, but I'm sure there are plenty of lesser known trails that were vital to the local economy years and years ago.

I'd love to hear all of the stories behind them.

If there is an in depth book out there covering the history of the trail system as a whole that I'm unaware of, please let me know!

The closest thing to a book on trail history is Forest and Crag. That and Logging Railroads of the White Mountains are good primers for the whites

I also recently enjoyed reading the Randolph Mountain Club's trail (uh, "path") guide: "Randolph Paths (RMC Guidebook)" (see also: http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/stuffwesell/publications.html). It had a lot of little historical bits about how the north slopes developed over the years (in its own little microcosm). It also discusses how their huts, lean-tos and cabins came into being and changed. Good stuff!

I don't suppose they have serial numbers but isn't there a high likelihood that the same copies keep get passed around?

Scenario: Guy wants old hiking book but doesn't have large sum of spare $ sitting around. Guy gets old and finally has the expendable resources. Guy enjoys book but doesn't dare hike with it. Guy dies. Guy's son or daughter who doesn't care about hiking sells it for a large sum of spare $...repeat.

Yes, this scenario is very typical of antiquarian books in general, as librarians are simply not interested in housing special collections unless a huge endowment is provided with the books from an estate. For example, Michael Chessler sells the same copies of high-end mounteering antiquarian books over and over and over again, making a nice "commission" each time. The American Alpine Club Library has pretty much a complete collection of everything related to mountains, so books gifted to them usually get sold to generate cash for other acquisitions.

I think that John is correct about prices peaking a few years ago. Ditto for my baseball card collection. :(

What ??? 700$??? that is a pretty good deal and I was on vacation unaware of this :mad:

There were two listings yesterday for two different 1st editions. One sold for $1,395. I think it was a copy cat listing that realized that 11 people were participating in an auction for another guide that ended today and the price was up $1,350 (That one ends this evening). So there may be two sales of two guides today that may establish waht the market will pay (today). The one that sold yesterday was obviously a book dealer.

Update,2/22 the other guide went for $1,400

Last edited:
AMC Katahdin Guide

Does anyone know what year the first edition of the AMC Katahdin guide was printed?