White Mountain Hut Traverse in 12 Pictures - August 6, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
This past weekend I had the pleasure of hiking my first White Mountain Hut Traverse with a very good friend. Although unpleasantly humid out for most of the day, we were blessed with excellent conditions underfoot and made our goal of completing the hike in under 24 hours.

A huge thank you to the wonderfully welcoming and hospitable croos (especially those at Galehead and Greenleaf Huts)!

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_7129.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

IMG_7142.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7184.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

...full album here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to fix the broken link to the full album, but that didn't work either. Can anyone else get to the full album?

Great job on the Hut Traverse!

That is really quite an accomplishment, congrats to you LRiz and the mystery person! What was the mileage and elevation gain? What make and model shoes do you wear for these long treks? What do you eat for nourishment, regular food or gel/energy snacks?

Sweet and simple TR, looks like it was a blast! Great sunrise picture with the undercast too.

btw sweet ankle gaiters!

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of meeting Larissa friday afternoon at the Falling Waters trailhead. I was emptying the nearby hills of wild raspberries; she was preparing small bags of protein/carb powder for a 54 mile day-hike. I'm guessing there's probably a lesson there.

I knew from reading the trip reports that she's a great hiker. What I didn't know, but know now, is what a friendly, polite, humble person she is. Talk about first impressions. I walked away thinking, "Man, I hope she makes it."

Just amazing - particularly following the 100 miler! The pics are just beautiful. What an incredible day. Congrats to you both!!

L. mused that a trip report could be titled Pierce - South Twin - Garfield.
She visited 6 new trails on this journey (tho she hasn't started filling out The Red Lining spreadsheet just yet); section of Osgood trail from Great Gulf to Osgood Junction, Parapet Trail, which she found does not live up to it's poor reputation - Gulfside Trail section that by-passes Jefferson, lovely - Crawford Path section that by-passes Eisenhower, nice - Mizpah Cut-Off - A-Z trail section from Tom/Field col to the Zealand trail.

Tho I have been warned that I am too old - would probably hurt myself - and shouldn't dream of keeping up with the Kid, I accepted the invitation to join her on this trek, as we had been tossing it around for 2 years already. We enjoyed all that the day had to offer! We would only mention what we were doing when someone would inquire; What trail did you come up? Where did you start? Where are you headed? Then there was the one women on Mizpah Cut-Off that told us we should slow down, and the guy that announced "Trail Runners", to which I responded "Naw, trail idiots."

There seems to have been quite a number of folks that have given the Huts Traverse a try this season, including many of the Croo's (possibly every single one from Greenleaf!) Pam, the original Go-Lite-Girl, who completed a solo trek on the summer solstice, and Team Muskat, who traveled the more traditional route (the younger of the duo is actually a Croo member) which includes a visit to Pinkham before heading to Madison Springs. Total mileage of the traverse is 50 miles with 15,200' elevation gain. The Up to Carter Hut and the back from Lonesome Lake Hut adds another 5.4 miles and 1900' elevation gain. Apparently most Croo's look to sleep at both Huts too.

Last edited:
Dang...quite a day! Nice job and congrats to you both! Sounds like a fun trip.