NPR/Fresh Air interview w/Hugh Herr

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinMom+1

Reaction score
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/10/13755...=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Just caught this on Twitter - interview with Hugh Herr, the rock climber from the Herr-Batzer incident who lost his legs after spending 4 days in the snows of Huntingdon Ravine in a failed ascent of Mt. Washington that resulted an avalanche which killed one of his searchers. Herr went on to get a PhD, run the MIT prosthetics lab and create a host or innovative prosthetics including I believe one worn by Aron Ralston of "127 Hours" fame. Herr is one of several subject of a new book on MIT luminaries (written by a former tech CEO for whom I worked indirectly).

The link offeres the full 36 min audio interview of Herr (haven't had time to listen yet) and s a summary. I read Herr's biography (old, written by a fellow rock climber) and found his story inspiring.

Hmm... Ever have one of those moments where in your mind about 10 pieces of a puzzle you didn't know existed all came together at once? I can't be the only one...

Thanks for posting this. Much respect to Mr. Herr.

This paragraph three?

There is also the element of ex post facto logic (Monday morning quarterbacking if you prefer...) going on here--those who take big risks and survive are lauded as heroes, those who take big risks and die are denigrated as fools. The determining difference between the two outcomes is often only luck...

I happened to catch the show by chance today, and this does not apply. There was nothing heroic in the presentation of his accident.

There was an extremely good (IMO, at least) article in Outside magazine years ago about the incident, written by Dave Roberts - "The Mechanical Boy Comes Back". It's in his book Moments of Doubt, for anyone who's interested.

Hmm... Ever have one of those moments where in your mind about 10 pieces of a puzzle you didn't know existed all came together at once? I can't be the only one...

I've mostly avoided the direct connection between Hugh and the girls since I joined VFTT, since I wanted Alex and Sage to have their own identities. I'm well aware that Hugh's accident is a sensitive issue, and I respect the spectrum of opinions.

I personally, obviously, have nothing but respect and admiration for the father of my children.

If you want a good account of the accident, Hugh and I both recommend the book by Alison Osius, Second Ascent: The Story of Hugh Herr.

David Roberts' "The Mechanical Boy Comes Back" is also excellent.

That's all I can say on the topic. I'm now going to respectfully bow out of this conversation.

Last edited:
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/10/13755...=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Just caught this on Twitter - interview with Hugh Herr, the rock climber from the Herr-Batzer incident who lost his legs after spending 4 days in the snows of Huntingdon Ravine in a failed ascent of Mt. Washington that resulted an avalanche which killed one of his searchers. Herr went on to get a PhD, run the MIT prosthetics lab and create a host or innovative prosthetics including I believe one worn by Aron Ralston of "127 Hours" fame. Herr is one of several subject of a new book on MIT luminaries (written by a former tech CEO for whom I worked indirectly).

The link offeres the full 36 min audio interview of Herr (haven't had time to listen yet) and s a summary. I read Herr's biography (old, written by a fellow rock climber) and found his story inspiring.

You didn't mention it so I would guess that you are not aware that Hugh is Trish Herr's husband that's Trish of Trish and Alex.

A friend of mine who knows Hugh well told me recently that he thinks Hugh will get a noble prize one day for his development of highly technical artificial limbs.

Last edited:
And don't take my post wrongly. I, too am impressed with the work he's done, both for his own continued sports career and for others. The earlier events do not take away from that work.

Very thoughtful piece on NPR, which is why I continue to support them. I am old enough to have known Albert Dow and I climbed with Mike Hartrick. I think that what Hugh Herr has done for amputees is a great tribute to Albert, whose fatal avy accident also led to the formation of the Mountain Rescue Service, which in turn led to the founding of numerous other volunteer SAR organizations in northern New England. I also think that Alison Osius' book and David Roberts' article were excellent. Hope to meet Hugh some day.

I try to listen to Terry Gross as she's a superb interviewer, and so heard this interview as well. And I agree - it was a fascinating interview.

One of the things that struck me - aside for the content itself - was the dispassionate demeanor of Hugh Herr. It left me wondering if that demeanor was his nature, or a result of coping with the horrific injuries he sustained. Even though he always used personal pronouns, I often had a sense of how disconnected he seemed from the injuries.

It's a tribute to his intellect and his skills that he was able to use this awful experience in a way that has benefited so many others.

One of the things that struck me - aside for the content itself - was the dispassionate demeanor of Hugh Herr. It left me wondering if that demeanor was his nature, or a result of coping with the horrific injuries he sustained. Even though he always used personal pronouns, I often had a sense of how disconnected he seemed from the injuries.

Perhaps it is less dispassion and more transcendence. Hugh appears to have moved beyond his own injuries and immersed himself in the research and development for how to improve the lives of everyone who has ever required the use of a prosthetic device.

Some people raise money. Hugh raised the bar.

Last edited:
I have to agree that Hugh's story and his approach to his tragic accident have been amazing. I recently stumbled on another piece on Hugh's like and work - a video of his presentation at the Business Innovation Factory annual summit in Providence from several years ago. Great stuff. http://businessinnovationfactory.com/iss/video/bif2-hugh-herr I've been to 4 of the first 6 BIF summits and this was sadly one of the ones I missed. I would have loved to have seen this in person.

I was around back then and never felt anything negitive towards hugh. There have been stories about a few people and thier accidents on this site ( A. Ralston) and such. I must confess I get really perterbed at alot of the attitude shown to people who have been through bad situations on this site. I think alot of monday morning quarterbacking takes place from people who quite frankly have no idea what they would do in similiar situations. We all try and do our best out there in the hills and we all sometimes make mistakes out here as well. I think the people who tend to have the " I would never have made those mistakes" attitude quite frankly do it to make themselves look good on the shoulders of those who quite frankly just had some bad luck. I hike solo all over the country on high peaks. One of my "rules" in not to leave my plans with anyone. I could only imagine the crap I would get if I had trouble and it made the news. Then again the people that would slam me the most could never understand why I do what I do, its way beyond thier structured way of both living and thinking and climbing.

An extraordinary book to read; Second Ascent: The Story of Hugh Herr.
I would highly recommend it if you can find a copy online.

Donna:)

+1
that is the book by Alison Osius; It's been quite a while since I read it, but it's really good.

An extraordinary book to read; Second Ascent: The Story of Hugh Herr.
I would highly recommend it if you can find a copy online.

Donna:)

Amazon has quite a few used copies available. Just picked one up. Would like to find a copy of the 1983 Outside article by Dave Roberts but no luck so far.

On Quandary Peak (Colorado 14er) this morning, others were speculating whether one could hike the nearby Democrat-Cameron-Lincoln-Bross circuit in one day, to which I replied yes, I followed a guy with one prosthetic leg around the circuit in a little over eight hours. I do not think that they believed me, but the guy had completed 28 of the Colorado 14ers with that hike two years ago.