McCrillis Trail - trailwork with SCA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
A small report about some trailwork done on a little used trail that summits to Mount Whiteface in the Sandwich Range Wilderness.

As some of you know, I'm a volunteer with the Forest Service. My main duty is as an adopter on Mt. Chocorua (Piper Trail and West Side trail). This year I've gone beyond that a bit and assisted the Saco Ranger District "crew" with trailwork days. With federal cutbacks, this district only has one official trail crew staff person.

This week I had the opportunity to work with the Forest Service and a Student Conservation Association (SCA) crew. I had my start in trailwork working with the SCA on public lands day several years ago. They are a good group of motivated folks who are really helping out on trails and trails assessments in our National Forest. I've linked to a profile of the trails assessment below but there are more crews that are assisting with basic maintenance.

The day itself was very hot and humid and consisted of lots of brushing and blowdown removal. Their work was spread over the course of three days - I joined them for the second of three days. We tried to convince ourselves that the relative humidity was 40%. I've read some recent reports from McCrillis and it was bad. A few blowdowns inconveniently fell almost right in the trail. Some blowdowns were removed using a combination of bow saw and axe. We did brushing to past the wilderness standard (3'X6'?) I think but I just don't see that a crew is going to be back there for at least 2 years. We left some easy walk overs blowdowns behind but I think we got the worst of it. Thanks to those posting trail condition reports, it really does make a difference in highlighting problem trails.

Anyway this post is mostly to let folks know that there are dedicated groups of SCA volunteers in the White Mountain National Forest doing some great work (they recently cleared Dry River and WEST ISO!!!). If you meet them, please thank them.

Sorry no pictures from this trip but I tend not to take pictures when working.

Cheers.

A link to a blog on the SCA trails assessment project:
http://www.thesca.org/white_mountains_summer11/group-home

Chris, thank you and the other crew members for the work done on the McCrillis Trail! And, there's no need to apologize for having "no pictures" to include in your report. I think your words alone provide a clear "picture" of the fine work that was done!;)

Thanks Chris and thanks to all the volunteers/maintainers out there. The hikers owe a lot to you guys. I keep saying every year that I want to spend at least a day each season volunteering, and never end up finding the time to do so...just excuses really. I hope to get out there one day soon.

Great report and thanks again!

Karl

Nice work. Good to hear this trail is getting some love. It's a beautiful and quiet route.

Hiked it last November and found a wall of blowdowns in the upper 1/3. No good way around, had to climb up and over.

Last edited:
Allright!! Thanks for clearing those blowdowns. I hiked that trail in May 2010 and there were many blowdowns higher up, that slowed me right down...and the trees were massive, for New Eng standards. While the downed trees added to the appeal of a less used trail, I just don't like big blowdowns. :)

grouseking

thanks all. Please let me know how you find it. It is wilderness so we have left step-overs that won't create walk-arounds. Feedback always welcome.