Current Information About CVR Condition - Please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
We’re thinking about The Crockers and Redington for part of a back-to-back for next weekend (not sure about the other part – still trying to figure it out). Can anybody tell me if there’s anything about CVR that I should worry about.

Should I expect to hear banjo music?

I plan to have a full-size 4WD pickup and some rope. I can also bring a banjo if needed.

Can I drive to the AT crossing and park there?

Thanks.

;)

Within the last few weeks, I walked the road from rt 27 to the pond and points beyond to survey road and bridge conditions. If you want a current pic of any bridge, let me know.

There is a washout at a culvert pipe at 0.4 miles that will be troublesome for passenger cars. After that conditions are good for all vehicles with a few dips here and there until the parking area just before the metal bridge. There is a short steep rise just beyond that that is eroded. The next wooden bridge is in rough shape, but still passable. The trouble is that road on the other end is below the level of the bridge. It's easier to get to the AT crossing over this bridge than to go back the other way. Some logs have been placed to assist.

With your truck, you should have no problem getting to the AT crossing but there isn't much parking space. I would caution those with smaller vehicles to park just before the metal bridge. It's hardly worth the trouble and possible damage to save 0.2 miles of walking.

I found recent tire tracks from off-road trucks beyond the pond and much farther up the logging roads than I would have suspected.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, guys.

I have another question that should have been asked up front...... What is the average time for this hike. I'm not a fast hiker and typically come in a little over book time. I also don't have a sense for how long the round trip from South Crocker to Redington will take.

Can anybody help me out with this timing information?

Thanks again.

:)

Last edited:
Earl,

Here are splits from last year - I went with Bob Hayes, OldMan (Ed) and Eddie and his crew. Bob & the kids were done in 5:00, took me 5:30.

0:00 Depart AT/CVR
1:05 Summit South Crocker
1:50 Summit North Crocker
2:35 Summit South Crocker
3:30 Summit Redington
5:30 Return to AT/CVR (did not return via South Crocker but via the CVR)

For ~10 miles, ~3200', book time would be about 6:35... Trip Report from July 2010 and additional logistic information in this thread, including CVR details.

Tim

Last edited:
From South Crocker To Redington via herd path is about an hour each way if you stay on track, maybe a little more if you go at a leisurely pace. All critical turns and junctions are currently flagged or marked with cairns. Even without those aids, the treadway is (mostly) obvious. The key points to remember are: Turn right at the AT boundary, go straight across the old clear cut, and follow the logging road beyond it to the height of land before returning to the herd path.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I have another question that should have been asked up front...... What is the average time for this hike. I'm not a fast hiker and typically come in a little over book time. I also don't have a sense for how long the round trip from Crocker to Redington will take.
It's a herd path, not a real whack. It looks like about 1.3 miles each way. I seem to remember roughly an hour in each direction, some of which was route finding, some of which was picking berries! :D

If you follow the herd path from the summit of South Crocker, you should be heading a little West of a straight shot towards Reddington. You will cross the AT boundary corridor, do not follow it. You will come to a large open area, and a path will head thru it, angling upwards, to the top of the clearing, where you will find a logging road. From here, there will be herd path(s) heading off to the right that go up Reddington. I'm not sure which one is best, or if it really matters. I've been up 2 different paths that took me to the top. There is a sign in canister at the summit. You might have to wander around for a while to find it, as the top is pretty flat.

Edit: I see Evilhanz has also posted a description. I will leave mine here, unless he tells me my memory is shot! :D

I wouldn't bother with 'whacking back to South Crocker. Just walk the roads back. The valley it goes thru used to be pretty scenic itself, it's an easy walk, and probably shorter time-wise. Sue did it once so she should know the way. :D

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the help.

The 1 hour each way for the S. Crocker to Redington part fills in the blank that I had.

I drove a passenger car in to the singing bridge (steel grate / no banjos) and parked both yesterday and today. A jeep and a Toyota Sedan were both parked at the AT crossing today.

My nephew and I did Redington yesterday (Friday, Aug 12), the whack over to S. Crocker, a quick trip to N. Crocker, and down the AT to CVR - just about 6 hours.

Today my wife and I did Redington and back down the way we went up - about 3:45.

It took 20 m inutes to drive a Subaru Outback to about half a mile before the AT, but I'm sure we could have gotten to the AT crossing. You can get a few tenths beyond there, but might have difficulty turning around - and you'll have to.

Fourfingers
[email protected]

Hi Earl! I was there today too, echo what everyone else says, just short of steel bridge is nice parking area. my first trip in CVR, a real treat! Are you two going next weekend for just a day or are you making a weekend of it? I still <need> Sugarloaf & Spaulding and was going to stay and do them tomorrow but the forecast was iffy.

Thanks again, everybody. I think the old truck will make it to the steel bridge without much trouble.

I'm hoping.

Hi Earl! I was there today too, echo what everyone else says, just short of steel bridge is nice parking area. my first trip in CVR, a real treat! Are you two going next weekend for just a day or are you making a weekend of it? I still <need> Sugarloaf & Spaulding and was going to stay and do them tomorrow but the forecast was iffy.

Keith - I sent a PM regarding next weekend.

Sorry but I just got in from hiking today, smell bad, and hungry. I really need a shower and food.

;)

Not sure what you have for clearance with your truck, but our Hyundai Sonata made it to the AT crossing a month or so ago. Had to be creative with some 2"x12" that I brought along though. If I'd brought our Chevy 1500, I don't think I would have had any issues.

Cvr

Thanks for all the intel. Heading up to Stratton on Tuesday 8/16 for three days of hiking, which will dictate two trips up the CV Road. Thanks again.

Not sure what you have for clearance with your truck, but our Hyundai Sonata made it to the AT crossing a month or so ago. Had to be creative with some 2"x12" that I brought along though. If I'd brought our Chevy 1500, I don't think I would have had any issues.

Chevy 2500HD - I should be good.