vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticks

Reaction score
I have read the instructions on how to post an avatar but my images are way too big to post :confused:
I know there must be a way to change the size of a file, or do I do this when I am taking the picture??
I have a Cannon G3.
Any feedback much appreciated.
Thanks

You can resize the photo using a program like microsoft photo editor. Open the photo, go to "Image" click on "resize," change the units to pixels and use the % thingies and resize to whatever the avatar specs are on this website.
good luck!

Josh

Having owned a camera very similar to that one, there is probably not a file size small enough that comes directly out of the camera.

You need to get a photo editing tool.

Photoshop, Printshop, Lview, WinJpeg, etc. are all possibilities. There is even an add-on to the Windows Desktop (I forget exactly where I got it), that shrinks files to a given size.

Thanks for the feedback!
Josh, I did try what you suggested but when I open the photo and click on Image there is no "resize" option:(
Tom, I have photo shop and there is no resize under image?
Oh well,

Happy Trails

Hey Sticks.

No resize under edit in PhotoShop??? What version are you using?

For all image fiddlers who don't want to plop down a huge wad for PhotoShop you can't get much better than IrfanView, a freeware image editor. You can get it HERE

One thing to remember is that most digital cameras will add a lot of extra info (date, time, camera settings) along with the image. This can really add up so you need to save as 'image only' In PhotoShop there is a 'Save for the web' option that works really well.

Bob

In PhotoShop look for Crop and Image Size under Edit. If you can't find them use the Help tool.

-dave-

Bravo, you guys are great, a wealth of info for trail and back country as well as a not so savoy computer wiz.
Thanks! :D

Very strange that there was no "resize" option under Image. On my version of MS Photo Editor, it's right between crop and rotate. hmmmmmm... Ah, whatever, as long as you got what you needed done.

It's a lovely Avatar too.

Josh,
Your initial response was what worked.....operator error.
Thanks again for the feedback!

resizing pics

my canon powershot came with it's own software. in the software there's an option for sending the pics via email. after you select the pic/pics you want to email you then have the option to resize. i usually resize to 45% - it then tells me how big the file is. you'd be able to send 1 pic as your avatar & just keep resizing until it meets their limits. the software that i have with the camera is arcsoft & canon zoombrowzer. did you get anything w/ your camera?

Open a pic in Paint, then crop, then save. It will automatically save it to a better file type for size (jpg off the top of my head, i think). This is pretty simple, and what i use