8 Miles to the Summit in a Wheelchair- 8/14/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
:DOn Sunday I was privileged to be a part of an event taking 4 handicapped athlete’s up to the summit of Mt Washington organized by “Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country (ASPNC)”.Each team would include an adaptive athlete and 14 "mules" who, using a TrailriderTM, will help push and pull the athlete up the 8 miles to the summit.

The Team that I had signed on with was “Team Chester”; this is a young man that I knew when he was born with CP. His Mother used to babysit for my children, so it was especially emotional for me to be a part of this event. The Mt Washington auto road had given us permission to climb up starting at 5:00 AM, the road opened at 7:30 at which time we had to spread out and wear reflective vests.
We met in the Great Glen parking area at 4:15AM to get organized and to assist getting the athletics ready and strapped into the trailriders. Training of use of the trailriders and rules were gone over. Team Haley, Team Bella, Team Martin and Team Chester were ready and anxious to start our ascent at 5:00AM sharp; off we went with almost a full moon leading our way up the auto road. The start was fairly gentle and we stopped a few times for adjustments of the riders and straps for us “mules”. Each Team carried a flag of their color choice and individual design. “Team Chester runs on mules”, was our design. We had one support vehicle behind us at all times for carrying extra supplies and to assist anyone who was struggling.
It was exciting to pass each mile marker and elevation sign as we climbed. The trailriders are set up for a front “mule” to pull with a shoulder harness, another front person lifting and pulling, 4 side “mules” to pull and stabilize, and a final “mule” in the rear holding up and pushing. We switched off as the need arose and when stops were made. Lots of stories and laughter was heard all the way to the summit. At about the 5 mile mark we had a break for coffee, juice and donuts which were devoured by the athlete’s and Mules alike. (A few regrets on the donut choices later)..ughh

Chester enjoyed his ride and as any normal 25 year old guy loved it when we ran and pushed over some bumps..His adventurous side showed with a huge smile! The weather was perfect and we only got into the clouds as we neared the summit.

At the 6000 ft marker the groups were given the rights to go whatever speed we could muster to the summit…of course with caution for cars. By then my group had dwindled down to 8 of us and I realized it was me and 7 very young “mules”. Team Chester decided to run the last bit to the summit…of course as it steepened our run slowed to a jog but Team Chester summited with style just as a Cog Train arrived at the summit. It was a joyous finish to a remarkable day. Group photos were taken and we lifted Chester in his trailrider up the rock pile for an official summit photo!

Then we all went down to parking lot where a brunch was ready for us and certificates and T-shirts were handed out and Thanks were given to all that helped make this event possible!
I have to say it was an emotional day, sharing one of my passions with someone that has been in a wheelchair his whole life. To witness those smiles on the faces as we arrived at the summit was something that I will remember forever! I will never take a summit or hike for granted again…I will reflect on this day as I climb Mountains and know the joy that this day brought to these four athletics and to us “mules”………………..

Rest of photo's:
https://picasaweb.google.com/hikerd...authkey=Gv1sRgCIX0mPGL8PXD0wE&feat=directlink

Hey, that's awesome. A hearty congratulations to Chester and the rest of the team.

My stepson Christopher was also born with CP and has always been non-verbal and in a wheelchair. He's 19 now and like Chester is full of intelligence and has all the same kinds of feelings that any other young man would have. So great that you were able to help quench Chester's thirst for adventure. I've always believed that those who can have an obligation to help those who can't.

Truly Inspirational!

It is just great that this was organized and accomplished. WE should ALL take to heart your sentiment, "I will never take a summit or hike for granted again…"

KDT

Thanks for posting. Definitely recognize a few faces in that worthy crew!

Great stuff, keep moving forward!

Of course, now Chester needs to take you all to Galehead Hut (and he should complain loudly about the trail conditions when he gets there!).

Congratulations to all!

I agree with what others have said, great thing going on here.

I came across a group in June of '10 on the Coppermine Tr. to Bridal Veil Falls doing the same thing. Just awesome.

That's beautiful. I think your first quote applies to you and your crew.

Thanks to everyone who has commented...it truely was an inspirational day!

The big kudo's goes to the organization that supports multiple sports for handicapped individuals to give them a chance to enjoy life to the fullest!

I was very impressed with all of the young people who are very involved in volunteering. Great group of folks to spend the day with!! :D:D

I have to say the climb up the auto road was tough on the calves...esp while pushing and pulling, but oh so worth the trip! ;)

Thanks so much for posting this. Brought tears to my eyes as well. Also brought me a much needed dose of perspective this morning.

What a wonderful thing to read. Congratulations to you, Chester, and everyone else who participated.

Where there's a will, there's a way.