There and Back Again (A Double Presi [full moon] Traverse Story), 8.13.11-8.14.11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
There and Back Again (A Double Presi [full moon] Traverse Story), 8.13.11-8.14.11

Peaks: Jackson, Pierce, Eisenhower, Franklin, Little Monroe, Monroe, Washington, Clay, Jefferson, Adams, Madison (all x2 except Madison of course)

I'm not sure how I arrived at the decision that this would be a fun and enjoyable way to spend an evening. The idea of a double traverse had been in the back of my mind since winter when my friend Sean (jokingly?) suggested it for a hike to do this summer. After doing a N-->S traverse 2 months back (TR: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40847 ) where due to a small window of good weather and conflicting work schedules, my friend Sean and I started a traverse late at night and did about 1/2 under a nearly full moon and 1/2 under daylight. It went well and we had fun seeing the range at night. This time around I had the bright idea to up the ante and do a double traverse hitting all the peaks in both directions and do as much at night as I could. Not surprisingly no one else thought this would be fun.

I had a fantastic idea that since I would be starting my hike late in the day on Saturday, it'd be best if I stayed up very late consuming 'empty calories' with friends to fuel for the hike and to wake up late in the day well-rested. We'll call it a partial success since I did wake up at 1pm. Since I was going solo and didn't have a start time in mind other than to be above treeline for the sunset, I took my time getting gear together and hit the trail up Jackson at 5pm. I got into a nice rhythm and made it to Eisenhower at 7:45pm and hung out to watch the sunset and turned around to find the full moon had risen. It was headlamp time and I pushed on towards Lakes so I could fill up on water before things quieted down at the hut.

On Washington I noticed frequent lightning to the north and knowing the forecast for the next day I called up my dad to verify that the storm I was seeing wasn't headed my way. He confirmed the coast was clear so I pushed myself, probably too much, hoping to reach Madison by 2 am. In the back of my mind I knew I wasn't eating or drinking enough but I suppressed those thoughts since my legs felt great. I slowed slightly up Jefferson and got some bad chills at the summit. I knew I had f'd up. I tossed on a hat, gloves, pant legs, and shell and forced down some nuun and the first bit of food since Lakes (yeah, whoops). I staggered a little off Jefferson and a little ways below Sam Adams I felt decidedly unwell. I pulled out my emergency bivy sack I've carried for years (never used) and opened it up. I laid down for about 2 hours and though I wasn't able to sleep, with the rest and a little food/water I felt well enough to resume the hike and at least get to Madison and think about my gameplan from there.

I started out at a lethargic pace over Adams and up Madison but felt as though I was slowly feeling better. Despite the 2+ hr bivy I made it to Madison at 5 am to see the sky just starting to lighten up. Despite giving serious consideration to bailing only an hour before, I pushed up Adams to catch the sunrise without even thinking twice. My gas tank was still borderline on empty but I found taking a GU every 90 min or so before a balance or protein bar was helping to restore my appetite (anything other than GU first triggered nausea. First time for everything I guess). By the time I hit Clay I finally felt well again and could pick up the pace up Washington. It was too early for hot food (though I would have payed an obscene amount of money for a pizza! Good news: my appetite was back. Bad news: I still had terrible judgement!) and the weather was definitely looking more unstable so I headed down the long ridge back to the truck. Compared to seeing the sunset on Eisenhower, the sunrise on Adams, and spending the night out under a full moon during a meteor shower, the hike out was uneventful.

When all was said and done it took about 20.5 h (minus the 2h bivy). My math may be off (and please correct me if it is) but the trip over all the summits in both directions was 35.4 miles with ~13,600 in elevation gain. Definitely the longest hike I've done in terms of miles (by a little bit), hours (not by much), and elevation gain (by more than 40%). The novelty of being out under the full moon for 10 hours definitely wore off and it was a roller coaster ride of my own creation by neglecting to eat when I should have (consumed a mere 2700 calories, waaay less than I should have). But in the end it was still a fun hike for the challenge, the adventure, and the stunning scenery along the way. I just ain't gonna do it again on the next full moon ;)

Pat
pcushing21 at yahoo dot com

photos:

DSCN0768.JPG

Some clouds in the sky to start on Jackson

DSCN0777.JPG

Skies clearing...

DSCN0790.JPG

Last light from Eisenhower

DSCN0797.JPG

Sunset from Eisenhower

DSCN0814.JPG

Looking back at Eisenhower

DSCN0820.JPG

DSCN0822.JPG

Hey look, no line!

DSCN0826.JPG

Dawn approaching from on top of Madison

DSCN0832.JPG

DSCN0835.JPG

DSCN0836.JPG

<continued>

DSCN0844.JPG

Sunrise over Madison and fog-filled valleys in Maine

DSCN0849_BW.JPG

Morning sun in black and white

DSCN0861.JPG

Clouds overtaking Eisenhower

DSCN0868.JPG

Overcast on Jackson to finish

Niiiice! Love the Madison shots. Kudos to you for getting all the peaks on the return, too! :)

A couple of friends did the double Presi a few years ago, mainly because they couldn't figure out a more convenient way to get back to their (one) car. They started at Appalachia. Although they skirted most of the summits on the return trip, they did go all the way down to Crawford Notch before turning around!

Holy cow batman! That is an impossible grouseking hike, I prob would have just passed out on Eisenhower, or maybe Lake of the Clouds and stayed there till the rain scared me away. Still, it was great to read your report, and love your pictures. Thanks for sharing!!

Great photos, and quite a journey Bombadil! Can I call you Tom?

KDT
Thanks, though I wish I had your photography skills to capture some of the scenery! haha perhaps too much Tolkien eh?

congratulations Pat on completing a very difficult hike. Great TR and beautiful photos!
Thanks Jonathan, it was a butt kicker but a fun one. Hope you can make it on the next one!

Niiiice! Love the Madison shots. Kudos to you for getting all the peaks on the return, too! :)

A couple of friends did the double Presi a few years ago, mainly because they couldn't figure out a more convenient way to get back to their (one) car. They started at Appalachia. Although they skirted most of the summits on the return trip, they did go all the way down to Crawford Notch before turning around!
Thanks, I figured if I was going to do a double a little more elevation wouldn't kill me. Turning around at Crawford Notch? Nuts! Kudos to them!

Holy cow batman! That is an impossible grouseking hike, I prob would have just passed out on Eisenhower, or maybe Lake of the Clouds and stayed there till the rain scared me away. Still, it was great to read your report, and love your pictures. Thanks for sharing!!
haha what can I say? I'm not opposed to hiking in the dark and I've never caught a sunset and a sunrise on the same hike before, pretty neat! I think I'm fresh out of ideas to one-up this fun hike in the east, which may be a good thing! Glad you enjoyed the read/pics

Great trip report and wonderful photos. I really like night hiking in the Whites. Was that your white van with Vermont plates and bumper sticker "I Would Rather Be Doing a Presidential Traverse" or something like that at the Jackson-Webster Trail parking lot? If so, I must have passed you on my way up Jackson between 5 and 6 pm on Sunday.

Great trip report and wonderful photos. I really like night hiking in the Whites. Was that your white van with Vermont plates and bumper sticker "I Would Rather Be Doing a Presidential Traverse" or something like that at the Jackson-Webster Trail parking lot? If so, I must have passed you on my way up Jackson between 5 and 6 pm on Sunday.

Nice to hear you're a night owl as well. I'm quietly keeping tabs on the summits I do at night to see if I can rack up the 48 @ night, though I don't tell my friends I'm that obsessive!

You're 2/3 right, I have a green pickup though perhaps there was a white van that had the sticker and VT plates as well. Are you Eric? If you're the hiker I recall seeing on the way down I think I saw you at the AMC awards dinner this year at the check in table???

Nice to hear you're a night owl as well. I'm quietly keeping tabs on the summits I do at night to see if I can rack up the 48 @ night, though I don't tell my friends I'm that obsessive!

You're 2/3 right, I have a green pickup though perhaps there was a white van that had the sticker and VT plates as well. Are you Eric? If you're the hiker I recall seeing on the way down I think I saw you at the AMC awards dinner this year at the check in table???

Hmmm, so two Vermont vehicles with that cool bumper sticker? I am not Eric and have not attended an AMC awards dinner in over a decade. But, I do enjoy hiking the Whites at night. :)

Hmmm, so two Vermont vehicles with that cool bumper sticker? I am not Eric and have not attended an AMC awards dinner in over a decade. But, I do enjoy hiking the Whites at night. :)
It's a small world I guess. Nice crossing paths with you!