What (or who) got you hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StaceyM

Reaction score
I think most people share similar reasons for why they continue to hike, but I was curious if people had a specific person or event that kick-started their hiking habit. Maybe some were discouraged by a first hike, but came back anyway or maybe it's a family tradition. Anyway, I thought it might be fun to reflect on what brought us to the mountains in first place.

For me, I hiked Monadnock with my 6th grade class and that was an extremely positive experience that stayed with me for a long time. I did a bit of hiking on an off with my family, but nothing big. In college I had a lot of friends in the outing club but I was too intimidated to go on many trips, afraid I would hold people back. It really wasn't until I got a hiking partner of the same abilities as me that things took off. Being able to learn together without being afraid of looking dumb the first few times you go helped my confidence tremendously and after a vacation to the Smokies, we were hooked! :D Being from NH, I think we'll always love the Whites the best, but since we live in CT we've been able to explore other wonderful areas too.

Great question!

The Boy Scouts of America.

As an adult leader my Scouting experiences opened the door to outdoor adventure that I didn't have when I was young.

A fairly large family (5 kids), we didn't have much $$$ so my mom was looking for ways to entertain us for an afternoon on the cheap. So, we started hiking. Monadnock was first. We then got the AMC White Mountain Guide (orange hard cover...1970?), read about the 4K club, and started in for real in 1972.

Thanks to my dad for giving me an appreciation of the great outdoors..BSA for teaching me hiking and camping skills as a kid..Pine Mt. Gorham, when the fire tower was still on it got me going!! being able to step outside and within 20 minutes (Milan NH) be on a trail to a nice viewpoint..family and friends along for the fun helps too!! Guess I like the view from towers and 360* summits, most definitely Carrigain......!

Last edited:
A casual acquaintance suggested an October trip up Monadnock and I was blown away by the beauty of the hike. Knowing nothing about any other mountains, my next two hikes were also on Monadnock. The November one nearly killed me but I learned a lot about icy rocks and ledges. The June one taught me about blackflies, heat, and humidity and the wildflowers underfoot. I've been coming back to the hills for more ever since.

When I was little my brother used to take me up on the hill behind our house. Then when I was older (10-11) I'd hike back there with my buddies, sometimes for overnighters, where we'd build a shelter (such as it was) and "rough it" for the night...sorta like the boys in Stephen King's "The Body." Also had the good fortune to grow up in the hills of north central Pennsylvania, and spent many summer Sundays picnicking and hiking at the PA Grand Canyon. Later on I was lucky enough to fall in love with a girl that loved the woods as much as I. It's been all uphill from there. :)

Last edited:
Camping with friends, family and Scouts got me into hiking. I liked backpacks, tools, tents and fires, but it wasn't very rewarding just being in the back woods. A good hike in and out made the camping seem more worthwhile. It's only been the past 5 or 6 years that I've done any real day hiking.

I was an occasional hiker all my life as I grew up in the country, but it wasn't until my mid 40's that a health issue necessitated major lifestyle changes, and that included a regular exercise program. I found that hiking once or twice a week, year-round, met that need and many others.

My dad got the family into hiking when I was about 7 years old. My parents weren't hikers at all, what got them into it was taking the Cog up Mount Washington and the clouds clearing off while up there. My dad couldn't believe what he saw, he then bought an AMC guide book and we started hiking! God bless that smelly train :)

-Chris

I grew up in Westchester County, NY. As kids, we visited Ward Pound Ridge reservation and did a lot of day hikes, tree climbing, etc. Plus there were plenty of woods and hills next to the house; and there were scout camps and trips. So it seems like I've always been in the woods.

Ritalin was not readily prescribed in my youth.

Last edited:
My grandfather.

Hiking and camping all over the NE in the 70s and 80s. He also taught me Cribbage....but that's another tale.;)

Sometimes I miss canned trail dinners!

Peace.

And thanks for reminding me of him......:) We like to think memories are daily, weekly, etc. Sadly they are not.

Peace Part II

Growing up in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, what else was I going to do? Especially after the local roller rink closed down.:rolleyes:

My dad got me into the woods. We spent as much time as we could hiking, hunting and fishing. I don't hunt or fish any more, but I do still walk in the woods. My dad does, too. He is in the initial stages of planning an AT thru-hike after he retires in 4 years.:D

My grandfather.

Hiking and camping all over the NE in the 70s and 80s. He also taught me Cribbage....but that's another tale.;)

Sometimes I miss canned trail dinners!

Peace.

And thanks for reminding me of him......:) We like to think memories are daily, weekly, etc. Sadly they are not.

Peace Part II

That's awesome. My grandparents taught me cribbage too - it's my favorite card game :)

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's responses!

... So your parents were telling you: ''Get out !!!!!!!!!!!'' everyday.

You don't know it but you nailed it. I grew up in Winnipeg and after school no matter how cold it was (and it was friggin cold) my mom wouldn't allow me to come into the house until supper time. We kids had soooo much fun pretending we were Gordie Howe....frozen toes and fingers were no big deal back then. You just sucked it down.

For me, it was just one of those things that can't be completely explained. In my early 20s, I felt myself drawn to the Adirondacks and basically decided I had to live there. In 1992, I made my vision reality and started hiking with no abandon. Though I no longer reside in the High Peaks area, the spiritual draw to the mountains remains ... whether it be the Adirondacks or on big western peaks. Life is so much more complex at 42 than it was at 22 but the simplicity of time spent in the mountains always brings me back to a good place.

I'd say it's all my dad's fault! :) I started tagging along on the annual family hike up to Tuckerman's Ravine to watch the skiiers at age 11 and took it from there!! We still have the annual family hike!

35 lb Benjamin, my very first"multiple pedigree" dog! :cool:

Of all my canines he was the toughest, had incerdible endurance, and lived a very long life. When I first got Ben, I took him for a ride in my bright orange VW beetle. No real purpose in mind because at the time I could not even read a map. Followed road signs. To my shock and awe we crossed the state line into VT and I saw a sign for FT Dummer State Park. I then found a trail. I don't think I was ever more excited in my entire life. The addiction began and will continue 'til the day I die.

The morning after he died, I picked up Ben's hiking bell and the "dinger" fell out into my hand. I could not believe it. All those years and the little bell had remained intact until it was no longer needed. What a grand finale and very sad day indeed.

Last edited: