Duck Hole, 8/16 & 8/17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kul45

Reaction score
Over the past two years I have introduced my wife to hiking. This summer she purchased her first pair of hiking boots, Bean's all-leather Cresta boots. She loves them. I had always hoped that she would be able to join me on one of my backpacking trips, and she seemed ready and was excited to give it a shot. She only has a daypack but I figured, what's one more down bag and sleeping pad in my pack? Most of our non-local hikes had been in Vermont and New Hampshire, but TEO recommended visiting Duck Hole for the missus's first overnight trip. She and I looked at the topo and online photos, and she said yes.

Days of rain postponed our departure, but on Tuesday morning the rain bid au revoir. We arrived at the Upper Works trailhead shortly after noon-thirty, and by 1 pm were on our way. The mile-and-a-half to the crossing of Indian Pass Brook went quickly, and shortly thereafter we crossed a beaver dam that offered a more felicitous water crossing than the trail's deep ford. After several crossings of a brook draining the south side of Preston Pass, we began the gentle climb into the pass itself. There we enjoyed the cliffs of its western wall and the mossy boulders along the path.

At Upper Preston Pond, we refilled our water bottles where the dock used to be. After ascending to Hunter Pond, were reached Piche's lumber camp and took a few photos of rusting artifacts. The decaying corduroy road from the camp provided a fun descent. Just about a mile shy of Duck Hole we crossed a swamp that, with a little more water, could make for some wet work. Crossing a submerged beaver dam just wide enough for one foot proved to be the crux of the matter.

A half-handful of ups and downs on, we arrived at Roaring Brook. The ADK guidebook explicitly warns that no bridge crosses the stream, but we found one luxurious enough to offer a railing on one side. Another half-handful of ups and downs later, we came upon the Duck Hole lean-tos and tent sites.

Having pitched our tent and hung our bear bag PCT-style, we went for a swim above the dam--a refreshing way to get the mud off. A metal canoe and two paddles tethered to a tree tempted us, but we opted to relax at camp instead. We dined, took in the last hints of twilight over a cup of tea, and then chatted with other hikers around a campfire, before heading to bed.

We awoke to the morning sun burning whisps of fog off Duck Hole and a loon laughing and swimming. Upon packing up our bags, pads, and tent, we broke our fast, filtered water at the foot of the damn, and set out for Upper Works. As we snacked at Upper Preston Pond a gaggle of canoeists trudged in from the pass, clambered in, and paddled off into the glinting distance.

Soon enough we arrived back at the trailhead and lamented the absence of cold refreshing beverages. Nevertheless, Duck Hole offered a delightful introduction to backpacking for my wife.

Photos at: https://picasaweb.google.com/bkulas/DuckHoleAugust2011

Hoping to get there in September....thanks for the report. Do you think that canoe is always there?? We've been planning on paddling in....should be interesting.

Hoping to get there in September....thanks for the report. Do you think that canoe is always there?? We've been planning on paddling in....should be interesting.

Paddling to Duck Hole seems to be popular these days, if our midweek hike reflects the norm at all. Although a lot of the paddlers were day-tripping. Now that the canoe is there, I'm not sure who would/will remove it. Its aluminum construction won't encourage anyone to carry it over Preston Pass.

September should be gorgeous there.

Nice! Duck Hole has always been one of my favorite spots! Glad you had a good trip. :)

Very nice! I'm sure I could look it up, but do you remember the distance and elevation gain?

Duck Hole is 6.9 miles from the Upper Works trailhead, provided you go through Preston Pass--as opposed to Bradley Pond. The trailhead is at ca. 1800', Duck Hole at ca. 2100', and the highest point, just past Hunter Pond, ca. 2416'. Most of the climbing and descending lies between Upper Preston Pond and Duck Hole.

Cool trip. Would like to make it there myself one day.

My Uncle and his friends recently paddled to Duck Hole and then traveled further towards Noah John Rondeau's old hermitage on the Cold River. Not much there he said...just a plaque maybe. He said it was really cool though to be at the site where he lived for many years.