Are poles worth it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do Use Poles

• No

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Some of the time

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • All of the time

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • Depends on trail conditions

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Uphill

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Downhill

Votes: 19 17.8%
  • On the steeps

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • On the flats

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • On the rocks (not booze!)

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters

billski

Reaction score
I've hiked for nearly 40 years without poles. A couple years ago I took a major head crash that landed me in the ICU. I had some balance issues, so after my escape, I bought a pair of poles. After a year of using them, I find them to be more trouble than they are help. I thought they might help with my balance and with the downhill (The "save the knees" foundation)

Not really any help at all on the way going up.

Going down, a little help, but no matter how I adjusted them, i kept banging against trees and occasionally getting them stuck on a branch or scrub. They also aren't very stealthy. They are always clicking when I hit a rock.
So then I tried one pole, it was a bit more navigable but still cumbersome.

Going through rocky areas poles actually unbalanced me even more. It's better to be in 4WD (four doggie paws) than imbalanced on two.

I put them away and have not used them since.

I suppose it might be good for wide open, maintained, earthy kind of trails, but meh...

You?

Often useful in winter, especially going up mild slopes. Gives a little boost and extra traction when the treadway is slippery. Extra useful with a heavy pack (common in winter) and heavy boots/snowshoes/skis that makes you less light on your feet than you would like to be.

In summer I used to carry one broomstick - good for water crossings and it's a reassuring weapon to have without appearing threatening. But I forgot it one day and didn't miss it: it mostly slows me down, especially on rocky descents - I spend time looking for a solid spot to plant the pole when I should just take another step and balance on my feet.

I use them regularly (or at least I used to before I broke them), and I did definitely notice a difference. At the end of a day of hiking with poles, I feel much less exhausted than at the end of a day without them.

Sorry to hear about your fall and glad you are okay!

I bought poles a few years ago after renting them for a winter hike. I'm with nartreb - they are nice for an extra boost, especially in the snow. Uphill I find my calves burn less, downhill my knees hurt less, and I'm overall not as tired after a long hike. They have also saved me a few times on what could have been bad falls.

That being said I agree they are useless on scrambles up or down (hands are much better) and lately I've been leaving them at home because I find I'm faster without them. So it's a tradeoff - less sore and slower or sore and faster. :rolleyes: I find the clicking annoying too, but I'll probably break them out again in the winter.

There are techniques for using poles, and believe it or not, youtube videos on such. Check it out. I find them useful for a variety of things:

• snake repellant! :eek: (More than once)
  • spider web repellant! (All the time!)
  • balance
  • mud depth tester
  • help going down
  • a little upper body work out
  • stick flicker
  • [something new every hike!]
I used to just carry one, but more and more I am a 2 poler.

My poles are BDs, 2 flick locks each, with the shock absorbers. This allows me to shrink them down to almost nothing or expand them to very long.

As Neil once posted a treatise on poles, I would look that up too. Short version: Longer going down, shorter going up.

• stick flicker

Definitely useful for cleaning sticks from water bars: shot, save, shot, save, shot, scorrrrre! Sometimes it is fun to dangle and flip a stick off the trail using a backhand.

Began using ski poles for "dry land training" during the off season almost 40 years ago in trying to emulate Billy Koch and the Putnam x-c ski crowd. But, I think that the new trekking poles with their shock absorption are even better. I have found them very useful for balance going up and down, but am absolutely certain that they have saved my knees and ankles from more serious deterioration. I took a few months off with the poles when left shoulder froze a few years ago, but other than that only when I have accidentally left them behind, which is nearly traumatic for me over the first few miles.

(some of the time)

As stated above, I use them when carrying a heavy load. But generally only when I'm on a relatively wide, civilized trail. 90% of my hiking is off trail. Off trail, poles are just a terrible pain in the a&&, worse than useless, they slow me down badly. For stabilization I have MUCH better results grabbing or leaning on trees and rocks as I go by. Poles are more of a tripping hazard than a benefit. Plus, I like to be able to keep moving while I swat a deerfly, glance at the compass, etc., and if you are using poles you constantly have to stop and put them down to do those things.

I'm not sure about the "longer going down" either. My wife uses poles on trail a little more than I do, and as we've gotten into a more natural "barefoot type" stride, she's found that a shorter pole is better going downhill. A long pole sets you back on your heels, which not only increases shock, it also increases the chance of "heel slipping" and falling on your butt. With the short pole, she's able to use a more natural, forward athletic stance on the downhills.

Our thoughts on this may change over time. We are 55 and 54, with one major and a few minor knee injuries behind us (not from hiking). But our knees are still "young." In 20 years, I may slow down, and use poles more.

Last edited:
I love them. I have the same BD's as TFR. I highly recommend the flick locks...my first pair were not and it was maddening trying to extend and collapse them!!

I find that using poles saves lots of wear and tear on my knees, ankles, and hips on the downhills. Helps my posture on uphills (saving my back) and also transfers some of the burden to my upper body. I often will stow them on very steep stuff, or on easy, dry flat sections. But on typical Adirondack trails, with all the mud, roots, rocks, and logs, they are very helpful with balance, enabling me to maintain a more consistent pace. As Tom mentioned, they're very useful tools in other ways as well. In fact, on a recent hike with him we discussed refinements of the "Black Diamond Flick." :rolleyes:

Poles are very good if you know how to use them. Most people don't seem to understand how to make them work to best advantage.

I adjust the length of mine probably 50 times on a typical hike.

Poles on a bushwhack are an impediment from hell if you ask me.

When I had my Airedale Duffy I used two poles like everyone else. With that little rascal I have now I have decided that he must be kept on a leash at all times. For that reason I have gone from two poles to one pole leaving one hand free for the leash.

Since I am using just one pole, I have also decided that when there is no snow I prefer using a hardwood staff. I find that it is much sturdier than my hiking poles especially down hill. It also serves better for defense. Adding to Tom Rankin's list I would add protection from attacking dogs. The dogs running free out there are more likely to attack another dog than a person while the owner stands by admiring his dog's aggressiveness. Since I can't adjust the length, I adjust my hand on the pole moving it up and down depending on the situation.

In the winter I still use an aluminum hiking pole because I find I often need the basket to keep the pole from sinking in.

I like them for going up and down, also for beating the dog! ;)

Poles are great tools to have and I always have them with me. Being a large guy (283lbs) and shrinking, I find that they help a lot. It depends a lot on the terrain, gentle grades like you would find on say oceola or moosiluke they are not needed. Steep terrain like wildcat ridge trail from glen ellis falls they get in the way and are no help going down. I find they work best on the very rocky medium steep trails liberty springs trail comes to mind. The take a lot of pressue off my lower body and going down they greatly reduce the impact of my tree trunk legs. Water crossing they are great for as well making those long strides between rocks. I will agree that they do slow you down and I can move faster without them but I def always carry them with me

I don't carry poles in the summer, they seem to get in the way more than being useful. I pick up a stick for stream crossings or unfriendly dogs :)

I carry a single ski pole in winter for balance, probing, and traction - I can warm the hand not carrying it by curling fingers.

After having a collapsible pole collapse under my weight, I use a single-length pole and choke up if necessary.

I leki my poles!!

I hiked my first round of 48 without poles. In March I backpacked the first 30 miles of the AT in Georgia with my daughter (who is hiking the AT hoping to finish sometime in Sept - go Pacemaker!!! - she's currently in MA) I used poles and found them extremely helpful, especially with the extra pack weight. I've since used them on day hikes and found like others have mentioned, that they are useful on some terrain and a hinderance on others. More of a pita on steep rocky terrain. I'll continue to use them though. I think they've helped lessen my knee pain especially on the downhills and I like the extra boost I can get on the uphills. It's also nice to get the upper body engaged in the whole hiking experience . . .:)

Rarely if ever use them in the summer though I do carry them on longer (15+ mi) hikes just in case. Winter use is mainly for balance management though I've been known to use them as an assist on a good crank uphill. I never, ever use the straps except to hang them up. Too dangerous on fast descents.

JohnL

Bought mine after a hike with my oldest of girl on my back. she shifted all of a sudden and i almost wiped out in a not so good spot. Three daughters later and many miles I have had no serious spills. Lucky for me I do not have them on my back anymore, sadly (or should I say, scared poop-list) I now have the oldest learning to drive.

I only use them when backpacking. Too many trails require scrambling and I find them just in the way.