Mt Garfield via Skookumchuck +Garfield Ridge Trail +Garfield Trail (17-Aug-2011)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
My BLOG contains photos and more details about this trek.

My route to Mt. Garfield involved an ascent via the Skookumchuck Trail to the northbound Garfield Ridge Trail, and then descending via the Garfield Trail. This route involves two different trailheads which are several miles apart. It's a 12 mile trek versus a 10 mile trek via a more conventional route of ascending/descending via the Garfield Trail. Also, it involves about 1,200 ft more elevation gain than ascending/descending the Garfield Trail.

TRAIL CONDITIONS: Overall, the trails were in good shape for the entire 12 mile route. There were no issues with water crossings. Some segments of trail were wet and muddy (particularly the Garfield Ridge Trail), but nothing that presented any real issues. No blowdowns of any significance were encountered. The upper portion of the Skookumchuck had more blowdowns than any of the other portions of the route that I travelled.