Cougar passed through ADKs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how many people tried to tell her she was seeing a bobcat?

I wonder how many people tried to tell her she was seeing a bobcat?

...or the Golden Retriever from up the road!

The "Beast IS in the Garden"! They had best get over it.
One cannot deny something of that stature!

Last edited:
Boy this cat is getting a George Washington reputaion, it slept everywhere.

Rumor has it that one has taken up residence outside of Hudson, NY. I haven't seen it, but heard from someone who claims to have. And I don't know why she would lie to me, and she does seem like someone who can tell the difference between a golden retriever and a mountain lion.

When I read this stuff about lions I can't help but to have questions and am disturbed by what appears to be a lack of forthcoming.

It weakens my confidence in those that I should have every reason to trust and erodes my trust in authorty.

Last edited:
When I read this stuff about lions I can't help but to have questions and am disturbed by what appears to be a lack of forthcoming.

It weakens my confidence in those that I should have every reason to trust and erodes my trust in authorty.
On the other hand, many people make the unjustified assumption that the reports are accurate and the officials are wrong.

Conclusions made untrained observers are often inaccurate and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to be trusted--such as a carcass or DNA in cases such as this.

Sure some officials may have an agenda* or outside pressures (such as an official statement triggering various laws), but once adequate trustworthy evidence becomes available such biases have to be set aside.

* Some of the observers may have agendas too...

Waiting for hard evidence is the correct thing for the officials to do.

Doug

Little Rickie you really need to read the book The Beast in the Garden if you want to erode your trust in authority. It was quite the mountain lion saga and ended in tragedy.

Sure some officials may have an agenda* or outside pressures (such as an official statement triggering various laws), Doug

Exactly!

Now I don't believe we have a breeding population but (obviously) we have had visits and passer throughs.

I do believe it is just a matter of time as the forests continue to come back.

I'm just not confident everything is being disclosed to us or in a forthright and timely manor. That bothers me.

DougPaul said:
Sure some officials may have an agenda* or outside pressures (such as an official statement triggering various laws),
Exactly!

Now I don't believe we have a breeding population but (obviously) we have had visits and passer throughs.

I do believe it is just a matter of time as the forests continue to come back.

I'm just not confident everything is being disclosed to us or in a forthright and timely manor. That bothers me.
That is a misleading partial quote.

You are welcome to your own opinion, but in general I think the general public reports on issues such as this are less accurate than those of knowledgeable officials.

Doug

That is a misleading partial quote.

You are welcome to your own opinion, but in general I think the general public reports on issues such as this are less accurate than those of knowledgeable officials.

Doug

I didn't & don't have an argument with that. The general public aren't the ones I'm bothered with and it's not a matter of accuracy.

If you accept that people in authority are always: fair, honest and forthright then that's cool.

Last edited:
Now hold on there.. we get more UFO and Big Foot sightings than Cougar sightings; are there secret populations of aliens n Big Foot in our forests that the DEC won't admit to?... did any of em come from the Dakotas?

Boy, let em try crossing a street in Ct, we'll get em!

Three years ago my husband saw a mt. lion while hunting from his tree stand in the central Catskills. I draw no conclusions from this except that there was a mt. lion in the central Catskills three years ago.:)