No "imminent" road closings anywhere in WMNF as of Nov. 9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
That's the word from a USFS person today.

Mohamed--here's an idea for systematizing the collection of this info. (Sorry, I can't find that old post right now). Two USFS guys, Chris and Doug, staff the new WMNF info desk that just opened at Exit 32 next to Dick Hamilton's WMA. Between us, they seem to have *zero,* *zilch,* *nada* to do there weekdays at this time of year. Doug said he does not determine road closings himself; a staff biologist out in the field does. But Doug is sitting there all day long in front of a computer and gets fairly up-to-date emails from the horse's mouth when these roads close. It might be worth your trying to see if he'd shoot you an email when he hears. I think he'd be receptive to your website. (A reliable friend says he seems to be a very friendly guy, which he'd have to be to sit watch on that desk, but I can't vouch for that myself). You can call the desk at 745-3816 or drop by. The desk is open 7 days a week.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

Last year I contacted the WMNF webmaster (webmistress to be precise) about helping me out and never got an answer, which is why I decided to try local Ranger District offices. One problem, though:
Waumbek said:
Two USFS guys, Chris and Doug, staff the new WMNF info desk that just opened at Exit 32 next to Dick Hamilton's WMA.
I am ashamed to say that I do not have a clue as to what or where "Dick Hamilton's WMA" is. I know where the old office was, I think it was a joint State and WMNF office right at the exit. Where is the new office in relation to it?

Last edited:
WMA is White Mountain Attractions, the private (not state) tourist info place in the big white building right in front of you as you come to the traffic light at the end of the Exit 32 ramp from northbound 93. The signboard with flashing lights indicating campground availability etc. is there too. You'll see the new barn-style building annexed to the right (west) of the WMA building. That's USFS's new place with the public info desk. (Dick Hamilton owns WMA. He's the one who used to drive home north through the Notch every night, look up at the Old Man, and say, "goodnight, boss." He's very knowledgable about White Mountain history.) Good luck.

WMAA-USFS

Last edited: