peakbaggers: please don't flag...it's trash

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the hunter safety class I took years ago they once suggested using toilet paper (not used of course :D ) as temporary flagging. Once piece would be gone as soon as the first rain storm and be pretty much gone for good and not noticeable after that (since your using such a small piece of it).

Brian

It's funny, I've seen far more trash on the trail than I've seen flagging in the woods. As a matter of fact, I've seen many more balloons in the woods than flagging.

I always pick up food rappers and such that I find on the trail but watch most folks pass right by it.

Oops. No harm, no foul. I was one of those workers. Join us next year to learn more about it! It is run by the NH Forest Society.

As a general comment, and as mentioned previously this flagging was marked with specific work tasks.

You guys where doing one heck of a great job, definetly some advanced trailwork. Thanks for the invite to join next year, I would love to, but my plans are to be back living in CO to finish the 14ers.

It's funny, I've seen far more trash on the trail than I've seen flagging in the woods. As a matter of fact, I've seen many more balloons in the woods than flagging.

I always pick up food rappers and such that I find on the trail but watch most folks pass right by it.
I saw used feminine hygene products at the out look before oceolas summit. Made me sick
:mad:

I think I have figured out which peak this was and everything makes even less sense. While the NEHH are full of neophyte bushwhackers who consider open woods impossibly thick, feel the need to mark their route, and even cut trails to benefit the world, by the time they finish the list they usually either give up bushwhacking or adopt more responsible attitudes. The peak in question is not among the NH 100 highest so the odds of a neophyte peakbagger going there seem remote. Even stranger, apparently there was a fancy register on the summit at last report - why would someone who permanently flags a route remove a register?

The only thing I can think of is that some insecure ranger was ordered to remove the register but flagged the route to return safely. They left the flagging up to make it easier to remove the register when it was replaced :)

The only thing I can think of is that some insecure ranger was ordered to remove the register but flagged the route to return safely. They left the flagging up to make it easier to remove the register when it was replaced :)

.....BUT, wouldn't they use red tape instead?????? :eek:

I would hope that a gps unit with recorded waypoints would suffice instead of bringing plastic into the woods.

Good point: wouldn't experts, such as an SAR team, have progressed beyond flagging? Hasn't gps rendered flagging obsolete for such a mission? I don't know how to use gps so I have no idea.

Also, why wouldn't legitimate flagging be labelled so "do-gooders" like myself will not mistake it for trash?

Why wouldn't FS put up temporary signage at a trailhead explaining that some operation is being conducted to help inform the public? They always let us know when logging is happening so we don't get hit by a logging truck. And they always let us know about trail closures and avalanche danger and bear sightings. Why not let us know that legit flagging is happening? We "do-gooders" would happily forego the effort to remove it.

I find it shortsighted to not anticipate legit flagging being mistaken for trash, since so many of us care enough to remove illegitimate flagging.

Good point: wouldn't experts, such as an SAR team, have progressed beyond flagging? Hasn't gps rendered flagging obsolete for such a mission? I don't know how to use gps so I have no idea.

Also, why wouldn't legitimate flagging be labelled so "do-gooders" like myself will not mistake it for trash?
SAR uses flagging in two ways. Before a grid search team enters an area, rangers define reasonable size blocks of area to be searched based on many factors of terrain and circumstances of the lost person. It is used to mark corners of a blocked area, and sometimes to define edges (handrails) if reasonable natural edges do not exist. A map is marked with corner blocks so defined, and given to the crew boss working the area with a team.

Flagging will be labeled with who placed it, time, and block identifier. Each SAR team will be assigned to one block. SAR teams within the search block will use cotton string let out each pass back and forth (in grid fashion) to assure coverage. They do not use plastic flagging for that. Since grid search teams cover the area by advancing through the block via following the string, GPS is used not so much for navigation as it is for end of day downloading of tracks within each grid block, and to record the location of any potential clues found. The crew boss may mark the location of a relevant or significant clue with a properly labeled flag. The rangers use the team's crew boss GPS tracks to verify completeness of coverage and plan the next day's search activities, and to archive all blocks searched for the duration of the activity. If after several days (often 7-10) the formal search ends one way or the other, there is no need to maintain flagging in that area.

I keep pretty well aware of SAR and other ranger activity in the wilderness areas I travel. If I see unauthorized flagging in a wilderness area, I will treat it like any other litter.

Last edited: