Book Review - Along Maines Appalachian Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a chance to pick up a signed copy of the new book on the building of the AT in Maine recently. Its one of the Images of America series that cover all sorts of subjects in the US. Generally these cover a specific area but the AT book covers the Maine AT's early history.

There probably isnt a lot of interest to the average Hiker, but to those interested in trail history on how and why a trail got built, its is a great book. The books use a standard format that is long on images and short on text.

The author, Dave Field has been involved with the Maine AT for over 50 years and has access to his own personal archive as well as the MATC archives. The images selected are a nice sampling and many are the type that would make a history buff want to go find the locations shown. My biggest complaint is that it could have been much longer given the subject and the authors background, but like any somewhat niche book, I am happy that it even got published at all.

As usual it available from many sources onm the web, but I expect the MATC would appreciate ordering it directly from them.