Thread: Directions for Embedding photos from Picasa in Trip Reports

Wink Directions for Embedding photos from Picasa in Trip Reports

The process of embedding photos from Picasa to an on-line trip report eluded me for quite some time. Having now figured it out, I can see that it’s quite easy. Here are what is hopefully clear steps (for those of you who like steps

1. Upload your photos to Picasa

2. Once on the web, select the album you want, and then select the photo you want

3. On the right hand side of the photo there is a menu; Choose "link this photo"

4. A new menu will appear. 1) Select the size you want and 2) Click “Image only – no link”

5. Highlight and copy the URL from the “Embed Image” address line

6. Back on your VFTT trip report, put the cursor where you want the photo to go, and choose the small square icon of the little mountain against the yellow background (insert image).

7. A small box will appear. Paste the URL that you copied into this box.

8. Voila! Click the preview feature to see that it worked.
    Last edited by Damselfly; 08-23-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: CLARITY

Thanks for this!

No Prob. I can't tell you how much time I wasted trying to figure this out :-)

Info on that and a lot more can be found at http://www.vftt.org/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

Doug

See also this thread which contains additional, Picasa-specific tips on sizing, and other tricks.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Thank you soooooo very much. I have had a terrible time posting pics and could not get a one of them to come up in anything but small recently. Downloaded this to my IMAC, and super easy to post.
    Molly cooling down in the HIGH PEAKS!

Thanks for the other links. I think now that I understand the basics, I can grasp some of the other advice that was out there.

I just checked through the link Doug posted and couldn't find an obvious answer - does anyone know if it's possible to embed a photo that's saved to a hard drive but is not on Picasa or the web? Thanks!
    Trail adopter: Webster Cliff Trail from junction with Webster branch of WJT to Mt. Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes with Hannah View Post
    I just checked through the link Doug posted and couldn't find an obvious answer - does anyone know if it's possible to embed a photo that's saved to a hard drive but is not on Picasa or the web? Thanks!
    The pic has to be on a website somewhere. Then the syntax
    [img]http://<link to photo>[/img] will include the pic.

If you do not have access to a website, you can attach the pic to the post and post it (on this website). You can then find the URL of the attachment and edit the link into your text using the above syntax.

Doug

There's also an easier way with Picasa rather than using the menus to create the link. When you're viewing the picture you want in Picasa (and at the size you want - which you can control by resizing your browser window) you can right click the picture and select "Copy Image URL", "Copy Shortcut", etc from the context menu (the choice will depend on which browser you use). You can then paste that into the image box on the forum post. The URL string also has the picture size in it. For example in the picture of Molly this is the URL:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m...0/IMG_1636.jpg

Right before the image name at the end of the string is "s800". That is the image width. You can change the value there after you paste the string to get a different image size. Usual widths for forum posts would be 640, 800 or 1024.

Happy posting!
    Mark

Going to the mountains is going home.
    - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Right before the image name at the end of the string is "s800". That is the image width. You can change the value there after you paste the string to get a different image size. Usual widths for forum posts would be 640, 800 or 1024.
    This is documented elsewhere but I'll bring it up again here -- if you have trouble seeing small embedded images (say you are mid-40s and you can't find your reading glasses... just sayin'), you can right-click and "View Image". This will put the embedded image URL in the browser's address bar, and the image as sized when embedded in the content area. If you edit the URL and completely remove the _s800 (or whatever), then you can see the image full-size (as big as the original Picasa upload.) If you are using Internet Explorer: Right-click and get the properties, which includes the URL which you can then you can copy-and-paste that into your address bar, if you are using Chrome: Right-click and "Copy image url" and paste that in your address bar. If you aren't using Firefox, I feel bad for you

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.