Irene Storm Track

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seamsealing

Perfect time to re-seal my tents pitch them on my lawn and test them on sunday

Below is the DEC warning posted for the Adirondacks

"Due to anticipated hazardous weather from Hurricane Irene we urge the public to not attempt to use hiking trails or backcountry camping areas throughout the Adirondacks from Sunday 8/28 through Monday 8/29. Hurricane Irene is expected to generate extremely high winds and heavy rainfalls which could result in flooding, heavy erosion of trails, falling trees and limbs and, possibly, landslides on steep slopes."

"WMNF HURRICANE CLOSURE ADVISORY: Due to the threat of extreme weather associated with Hurricane Irene, the White Mountain National Forest HAS BEEN CLOSED effective 6PM Saturday August 27, 2011 through midnight Monday August 29, 2011."

What happens if you are already out there?

"WMNF HURRICANE CLOSURE ADVISORY: Due to the threat of extreme weather associated with Hurricane Irene, the White Mountain National Forest HAS BEEN CLOSED effective 6PM Saturday August 27, 2011 through midnight Monday August 29, 2011."

What happens if you are already out there?

Not to be irreverent, but how do you "close" a forest, in any case?

I see for my Wildcats hike on Saturday the chance of rain is downgraded to 30%. Good enough odds for me...and happily I will be done before the forest closes.

I see for my Wildcats hike on Saturday the chance of rain is downgraded to 30%. Good enough odds for me...and happily I will be done before the forest closes.

Carla - you'll have to let us know if you can whether or not you were arrested. If we don't hear from you, we'll assume the worst.

Several National Forests in the southwest were closed for a time this year due to extreme fire danger.

36 CFR 261.50 through 261.53 pretty much covers it. It gives the Forest Supervisor the authority to close the forest. It this case it would be for public health and safety.

http://frwebgate1.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/PDFgate.cgi?WAISdocID=I1Nm8o/0/2/0&WAISaction=retrieve

I assume law enforcement will be out enforcing the closure; campgrounds closed; notices at trailheads; etc.

Last edited:

I'm guessing it is a legal definition. In other words, we warned you to stay out. If you go, and get hurt, it's YOUR OWN FAULT!

Seriously. What happens to thru-hikers who are 1/2 way through the 100-mile wilderness? Hopefully somebody is telling them a storm is coming.
A lot of hikers were stranded between steam fords which were unfordable during Hurricane Floyd, 10 years ago. (To say nothing of those who had to leave after 9/11)

They just waited it out.

You might find some stories, maybe in some trail logs.