Irene Storm Track

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know for certain, my guess to explain this behavior would be that in flat areas the water is spreading out and idling instead of pushing its way downstream.

The water in eastern NY is quickly finding its way to major Rivers as well with flooding already occuring or expected to occur along multiple sections of both the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers. Hard to keep up with all the flood warnings but the big one is along the Mohawk in the Schenectady Stockade region ... officials are saying that the Mohawk is expected to be 12 feet above flood stage by tomorrow afternoon. Calling it a 500-year flood.

** Edit: Well, fortunately, the dire predictions for the Mohawk in Schenectady have been dialed way back. Here are the latest numbers, which forecast only minor flooding:

Mohawk River at Schenectady

Last edited:
cant figure out the logistics of this. i was at ledges on the pemi in woodstock with tons of people looking at the river at 45000 at about 3 pm or so. the water was roaring like what...10 mph? so i figure in an hour it would be in plymouth...i went down to plymouth 2 or 3 hours later and the water was at 19000. now 7 hours later..its at 25 in woodstock and 29000 in plymouth. where did the water go? ive been watching the guages, you would think it would be like a bubble in a hose going downstream, or actually picking up more water as it went. in manchester the river is hardly 10000

Due to storage in the channel and flood plain, the peak tends to broaden as it moves downstream, thus reducing the peak flow rate. This is especially true for "flash flood" conditions caused by short-duration rainfalls. Note the very short peak for the upper Pemi. While many records are being set near the headwaters, as you move downstream the event is less significant. Points downstream tend to have their highest flows when the entire watershed is contributing to the flow, such as during snow-melt or a widespread multi-day rainfall event.

I was astounded and saddened that the Queechy Covered Bridge in Queechy VT was washed out. If you know the area, you'll recall this is downstream from the dam (which is where Simon Pierce Glassworks is located).

Queechy Bridge video

I used to walk across the Quechee covered bridge almost daily. I couldn't believe how much water was coming over the dam. I've seen heavy rainstorms and massive spring runoffs that weren't even close to this. Simon Pearce, unfortunately, was flooded out, too.

Taftsville covered bridge and Bartonsville covered bridge are both gone.

Mad River in NH

As most of you know, the Campton dam breached late Sunday afternoon and many people were evacuated. Route 49 into Waterville Valley has been closed. I've never seem the Mad River this high and listening to WMUR all afternoon, I was wondering if anyone knew. Eventually the rest of the state caught on. Here are my videos recorded at 3pm:

Mad River One

Mad River Two

Mad River Three

As most of you know, the Campton dam breached late Sunday afternoon...

The dam did not breach, you've been watching the news too much. When talking dams, breach = fail. The dam is still there, yes? ;)

I love how the media is making a big deal of Campton Dam "overflowing." Like, "Oh my god, doomsday is upon us the dam is overflowing." IT OVERFLOWS ALL THE TIME, IT WAS BUILT TO DO SO!! What doesn't happen all the time is Rt. 49 being topped adjacent to the pond.

On a side note, the Pemigewasset crested this morning at 5:45-6:00am at 21.69ft, 40,200cfs. This is @ Plymouth, NH. 175A is flooded in the area near the (closed) Exit 25 off ramp. (Which isn't all that uncommon.)

Last edited:
Yeah, the media announced the dam had breached, using exactly that word, and of course that information got spread like wildfire.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dam isn't quite as tall as it used to be, though. :)

Found this amazing...Chimney Pond in Baxter got an insane 9.9 inches of rain!

Aren't you supposed to be sneaking past police barricades and risking life & limb to get us all photos of swollen waterfalls? ;)

I was astounded and saddened that the Queechy Covered Bridge in Queechy VT was washed out. If you know the area, you'll recall this is downstream from the dam (which is where Simon Pierce Glassworks is located).

Queechy Bridge video

I am sooo SAD. It brings tears to my eyes to look at this.

Found this amazing...Chimney Pond in Baxter got an insane 9.9 inches of rain!

That's where we're supposed to be right now. IF they reopen this week, then I'll get some photos. The ranger I spoke with this morning told me the Chimney Pond area was also subject to substantial winds.

That's where we're supposed to be right now. IF they reopen this week, then I'll get some photos. The ranger I spoke with this morning told me the Chimney Pond area was also subject to substantial winds.

I'm supposed to go there this weekend, but I'm not too sure it'll all be OK by then based on that 9.9 number...

Also had a campsite near Gulf Hagas along a stream there. That's probably damaged quite a bit if not completely.

I'm supposed to go there this weekend, but I'm not too sure it'll all be OK by then based on that 9.9 number...

Also had a campsite near Gulf Hagas along a stream there. That's probably damaged quite a bit if not completely.

Yeah, our week-long camping trip might turn into a Thursday or Friday day trip (if they're open by then)...or an October reschedule.

Queechy Bridge video

According to WCAX-TV's page, as of 7 AM this morning the bridge was still standing but heavily damaged.

As I was skimming news earlier, I read that one of the base lodges at Killington collapsed. Can't find the news item again, however.

And, for what it's worth - it's spelled Quechee.

It looks like the Pemi is going to break the 1960 record of 47,000 CFS:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01075000

The latest reading was 45,900 CFS at 5:30PM, and the river had jumped 13 feet in about 12 hours. There's going to be a lot of rain damage in the Whites.

Edit: Looks like it peaked at 48,200 CFS at 6PM.
From a quick scan, lots of water flow records around the Catskills as well.