WMNF Closure!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out shot number #50. It's going to be a while before 302 is open again.

Probably 1-2 months would be my guess, but that's assuming they make that fix top priority...

Anybody else find it astounding how much damage the Whites sustained? They didn't get THAT much rain. I mean it was substantial, but I would think some of the early Spring storms we've had the last five years were perhaps worse. Perhaps it was just so much rain so fast?

Here are the storm totals per NOAA today:

Jackson - 5.2 inches
North Conway - 4.62 inches
Pinkham Notch - 7.33 inches

Probably 1-2 months would be my guess, but that's assuming they make that fix top priority...

Anybody else find it astounding how much damage the Whites sustained? They didn't get THAT much rain. I mean it was substantial, but I would think some of the early Spring storms we've had the last five years were perhaps worse. Perhaps it was just so much rain so fast?

Here are the storm totals per NOAA today:

Jackson - 5.2 inches
North Conway - 4.62 inches
Pinkham Notch - 7.33 inches

As you said, it was just so much rain so fast. I live along the Mad River for the past ten years and I've never seen water so high and so fast. The bottom of the river was being drudged up and it was a river of mud. I saw trees being uprooted and swept away. Check out the YouTube videos I posted on another Irene thread on VFFT. I'm afraid the trails that are erosion prone may be heavily damaged as well.

Did anyone else notice how green the rivers and streams look in the videos? It's not just brown from soil erosion, there's a ton of foliage in the water, too, if you look closely.

Speaking for southern NH, I can say I never saw it rain so much. Thankfully it was only for a short duration. While I have seen higher rain totals, nothing that fast. I dropped my pool level down 6" Saturday night. I dropped it another 6" late Sunday morning. It then filled another 3-4 back to it's 'normal' levels.

Parts of the Catskills experienced a 500 Year Flooding event. One woman died when a section of the hotel she was in collapsed. I'm also surprised by the NH damage.

I live ~1 mile from dug and my property had way more water on both of the May 100-year flood events (Mother's Day) than it had yesterday.

Tim

Agreed, the Mother's Day flood of 2005 (?) I had 6" in my basement, and I'm not near any measurable stream. The water table was that high. Yesterday, while I had large puddles in places I had never seen before, they receded quickly.

Agreed, the Mother's Day flood of 2005 (?) I had 6" in my basement, and I'm not near any measurable stream. The water table was that high. Yesterday, while I had large puddles in places I had never seen before, they receded quickly.

From what I've read, much of the damage - at least in Vermont - was not caused by the total rainfall so much as intensity of it. Rather, it was caused by the volume of the rainfall over a short period of time.

From what I've read, much of the damage - at least in Vermont - was not caused by the total rainfall so much as intensity of it. Rather, it was caused by the volume of the rainfall over a short period of time.

Same for the Whites, I think (see other threads; too bad that there are so many threads on this topic).

Yep, that's my impression as well. I eluded to it earlier, maybe in a different thread, I've lost track.

Check out shot number #50. It's going to be a while before 302 is open again.

It could be done this week with a temporary bridge if 302 is considered a critical artery, or deferred if they want to keep traffic out of that area

And the fact that in many areas, the ground was already saturated from earlier rains.

It could be done this week with a temporary bridge if 302 is considered a critical artery, or deferred if they want to keep traffic out of that area

Agreed. There has been a temporary bridge on Totten Pond Road across Rt 95/128 in Waltham, Mass., for years, and it probably will be there for many more years as construction of a permanent bridge continues at a snail's pace. Seems like restoring through-traffic on Rt 302 should be a higher priority than for many other roads.

Last edited:
Agreed. There has been a temporary bridge on Totten Pond Road across Rt 95/128 in Waltham, Mass., for years

Actually, I believe at this point all traffic is off the temporary and on the real bridge now.

The limiting factor in NH & VT is going to be supply - I don't know how many acropanel bridge sections and pieces exist in inventory available to be used or how quickly they can be fabricated.

The limiting factor in NH & VT is going to be supply - I don't know how many acropanel bridge sections and pieces exist in inventory available to be used or how quickly they can be fabricated.
NH at least has the equivalent of several small bridges like Sawyer River although they could all be in use

I don't think they can be made that fast but suspect they can be borrowed/rented from US Army, unaffected states, contractors, etc.

Forest will be open on Tuesday, August 29

It appears that the complete WMNF closure will end at midnight on Monday, August 29th, as originally planned. Not sure what happened to the "closed until further notice" bulletin, but the latest bulletin says the "Forest will be open on Tuesday, August 29 ... but Recommends Waiting a Few Days to Recreate on the Forest"
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/news/2011/newsrel_20110829_WMNF_visit_delay.pdf

News From the White Mountain National Forest
For Immediate Release: August 29, 2011
Contact: Tiffany Benna: (w) 603.536.6241 or (cell) 603.348.0078

White Mountain National Forest Recommends Waiting a Few Days to Recreate on the Forest

The White Mountain National Forest has been responding to reports and assessing damage across the Forest. Our focus is on safety and moving to recovery to get the Forest fully open as safely and quickly as we can: however this may take time. Currently, we have assessed about 40 percent of major roads and developed sites across the Forest. There is still a lot of ground to cover and many unknowns, especially backcountry conditions. Therefore even though an area or trail may be open, caution and good judgment should be exercised. Visitors are strongly encouraged to wait a few more days before coming to recreate.
While the Forest will be open on Tuesday, August 29, certain areas, roads, sites, or trails will remain closed due to hazardous conditions, high water, wash outs, unsafe bridges or other impediments. Heed signing and check the website for updates. A list of areas and sites that are closed will be available in the morning.
Visitors who choose to recreate in the next few days should expect to encounter hazardous conditions. Heavy rains have swollen rivers and streams. Some trails may be impassable due to high water. Never enter high water areas or approach fast moving water. Keep your distance. Turn back if necessary.
Extremely high winds from the recent weather event has created blow down around the Forest. Trees, limbs and debris may block trails, impact campgrounds, and make roads impassable. Be aware that you may have to turn around. High winds may have also created hazards such as leaning trees or weak limbs that may come crashing down in the aftermath. Be aware of potential hazards in the area and above you.
Many roads have been damaged by the storm and remain impassable or dangerous. Washouts, compromised bridges, soft shoulders, blockage due to blow down, are but a few of the hazards to be expected. Heed road closures. Do not go around gates or road barricades. The State of NH has a list of road closures across the state, including state roads that access the Forest:
http://www.nh.gov/readynh/index.htm.
The Forest will continue assessing damage. Please report any storm damage you encounter – whether on a road, trail, recreation site or campground to the White Mountain National Forest at (603) 536-6100. We will continue to keep our website updated with latest current conditions as they become available: www.fs.fed.us/r9/white.

Status
Not open for further replies.