Missing Dog Alert (8/27), Waterville Valley, Drakes Brook Trail - Found

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
I copied and pasted this from a Facebook announcement from a woman in my area.

ALERT: I know that we are in a hurricane situation, but... My nephew lost his Siberian today (Saturday, Aug. 27) in the White Mountains. They were in Waterville Valley on the Drakes Brook Trail around 11:30 am. She was lost about 2 miles into the trail. Her name is Kamala-She is very people shy-she is wearing a black harness and a tag with her name and phone #. Kamala is a small female, grey/black and white, with blue eyes, probably around 40 lbs. My nephew was forced to leave the area after searching, as the forest rangers were shutting down trails due to weather. Please, if you know anyone in this area, forward this message. Prayers would be appreciated, too! Call 603-860-1760. Police and local shelters have been alerted. Thank you!

Last edited:
Anyone who has an update or information, pls post. Since this is a third party situation, lets keep replies to factual stuff if possible.

Thanks,
Alan

As of early evening tonight, Kamala is still missing.

There was a possible sighting of her just before 10am this morning, near the 3 mile sign post on Rt 49, just west of Waterville Valley. The sighting report was not completely clear as to which direction the dog may have been traveling in.

Her owner has posted numerous notices around Waterville, and down in Thornton at trailheads. The Drakes Brook & Sandwich Mtn trail loop was covered again, as well as the x-c ski / bike trails branching off from the Drakes Brook trailhead (Drakes Brook - Fletchers - Sloppy Joe - Jennings, etc) to the Athletic Center. The Old Waterville Rd - Pine Flats - and lower sections of Tri-Town and Atwood ski Trails were also covered today.

Please contact her owner at the phone number listed above if you have any information, as it would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures to help with the search

Here are a couple pictures of Kamala supplied by her person, to help with the search:

img_2797.jpg

img_8606.jpg

img_8645.jpg

Might want to check Smart's Brook, which connects to Sandwich Mountain Trail just past Jenning's Peak.

There were 3 sightings of a dog, not accompanied by a human, in the area of the Smart's Brook & Tri Town trails on Monday around 5pm, that fit Kamala's description. One report was of the dog sitting in the trail. This dog ran when it realized someone was coming. Unfortunately, no sightings have been received for Tuesday or Wednesday, other than a few resident's hearing a dog bark in the early evenings.

Rt 49 remains closed just East of the Robertson Bridge (Goose Hollow Campground area). Thru traffic travels on Upper Mad River Rd past The Gateway to the 6 Mile Bridge to intersect Rt 49 to travel into Waterville Valley. Foot traffic to the Smart's Brook trailhead and other intersecting trails can be made from there. Parking lot at 6 Mile Bridge is similar in size to the Smart's Brook lot.

Potential sighting on Thursday ~ a young man that hiked to Sandwich Dome via the Drake's Brook parking off Rt 49 reported that he may have seen Kamala. He wasn't aware that there was a missing dog before / during his hike, but he relayed that he had seen a black & white dog near the summit;
dog was descending - he was ascending. The dog turned and ran in the opposite direction upon their encounter on the trail above the Jennings Peak spur. It was approx 1pm in the afternoon, and the information was relayed at 4:14pm. Kamala's owner reached the top of Sandwich around 6:45pm via the Drake's Brook trail, and descended the Smart's Brook trail.

Some people with experience in such matters indicate that dogs will circle an area looking for their owner: Saturday 11:30am left trail on upper Drake's Brook - Monday seen 9:30 / 10am Rt 49 near 3 mile marker and 5pm near Tri Town & Smart's Mt trails - Thursday seen 1pm upper Sandwich Mt trail. The owner will be accompanied by family & friends for at least the next 2 days searching the area. The phone number is listed above if you happen to be in this area and notice something that could be helpful to them.

I've heard stories of owners leaving a bad, blanket or anything that smells like the owner in areas where the dog has been seen. The dogs are supposed to be drawn towards that item and are often found there. I'm not sure how well this works but it's probably worth a try.

I've heard stories of owners leaving a bad, blanket or anything that smells like the owner in areas where the dog has been seen. The dogs are supposed to be drawn towards that item and are often found there. I'm not sure how well this works but it's probably worth a try.

This is what SARdog posted in another thread (can't find the link, but I'd posted the text elsewhere):

Try to stay put if you can. The dog can cover ground a lot faster than you, and you're unlikely to follow it successfully very far in the New England woods. The dog may tire of chasing that deer and eventually try to find its way back to you by air scenting you. If you're moving, it gets much harder for the dog to locate you (been there, done that.) Stay put as long as you can. If you're in a low spot, consider moving to nearby higher ground where the air currents will carry your scent farther.

If you have to leave, hang some clothing that you've worn on a high branch at the place you lost the dog and check back as often as possible. Do the same at the trailhead if you have to drive away. It might persuade the dog to hang around once it finds the clothing, and someone might notice it. Put up photo flyers at the trailhead and at the place you lost the dog. Don't assume anyone will recognize your dog from a written description; use pictures. Be sure to include your dog's call name on the flyer.

Should we get a search party together to help find this poor pup. Dogs seems for the most part to be attracted to other dogs. Would it help if us dog owners all trooped up to the general area and point last seen to see if he would emerge?

Should we get a search party together to help find this poor pup. Dogs seems for the most part to be attracted to other dogs. Would it help if us dog owners all trooped up to the general area and point last seen to see if he would emerge?

It might make sense to call the owners first. Some dogs (mine, for instance) are drawn to other dogs if it's only one or two, but feel threatened by larger numbers.

I'm sure they'd appreciate the help, though.

It might make sense to call the owners first. Some dogs (mine, for instance) are drawn to other dogs if it's only one or two, but feel threatened by larger numbers.

I'm sure they'd appreciate the help, though.

I was thinking if we spread out it might work. I don't know how many people might respond.

Maddy & Griffin ~ Kamala's owner appreciates your concern very much.
They relayed that Kamala does like other dogs, but is very intimidated by big groups of people or dogs. She does visit a dog park and will socialize with other dogs, but it is best one on one for her to be comfortable. Two of her buddies are small Poodles ~

Her owner has been leaving articles of clothing in a few areas, for the very same reason that is mentioned. Thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Maddy/Cath--If she is still missing 9/10 I can assist in a search - if her owners would like something organized?

I do hope they find her before then!
I am not familiar with that area. Let me know what's happening.

As of this evening Kamala is still missing. Lots of folks were out looking today, but she may have kept her distance from the large number of people on the trails. We covered some lesser used trails and old roads, and have left food and a crate which the owners will check periodically.

That's wonderful to hear!! I was over by Ferncroft yesterday and kept thinking.........could that dog have wandered this far via gleason or Bennett trails?! Glad he is back home safe and sound!

I am soooo HAPPY! I was so worried about that pup.
Those SH's are hardy pups and they surely can travel for miles. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.