Irene -- Please use this thread for NH/VT/ME road closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm the big DOT truck (roadblock) was gone from the top of the Notch at 4pm, though they did leave a small (sandwich-board style) sign there.

The timing was sooo close. Reach the Beach realigned their course and runners were coming up from Cannon to the Highland Center, then turning back and stopping at the Zealand winter parking lot.

I don't see a note for railroad closures, but from I-93NB just S of exit 29 it looked like the adjacent rails and ties were hanging in air. This line connects to Clarks and Hobo RR but there is no regular service so I doubt it has much priority for repairs. Even track cars and snowmobiles should stay off now.

There was a crew repairing the RR today which was quicker than I expected, apparently there were plenty of idle construction workers in NH.

I stopped to look at the Loon Mtn bridge. The ground around the remaining piers is eroded well below the footings and partway down the sheet piling, so even if engineers decide they are safe to reuse it will require a lot of fill around them and back upstream to create a taper.

Jefferson Notch Road conditions

Jefferson Notch Road conditions

The state website says the road is closed. I understand that the gates are locked. But what about by bicycle?

I am organizing 115 mile loop bike ride from Conway over Evans Notch, Jefferson Notch and bear Notch. We've done this ride before, so I'm not too worried about bicycling up a steep gravel road but if we're looking at open trenches as road crews replace culverts then, it might be more than will be ready for.

Has anyone seen the condition of the road?
Have they started work?

Thanks in advance
Maynewoods:confused:

Thanks, your friend's description makes me think it's doable. I've taken a road bike over Jefferson Notch before, so if it's the usual fall conditions, it's no problem for this group. I'm a bit concerned that the repair work may have started, making the road un- rideable.

Has anybody done Cabot from the north, gaining access via Mill Brook Road (FR11)? . I read on the State's website that it is unsafe for travel, but have heard rumors it is passable.

I will answer my own question. Found out today that since there is plenty of parking near the trailhead for Unknown Pond, which is located right before the 2nd bridge, there is no need for concern as it is not necessary to approach the 3rd bridge, whose stability was somewhat in question.

Sandwich Notch Road

Can anyone confirm the condition of Sandwich Notch Road? Is it driveable end-to-end?

1) USFS says "open - but ask DOT"

2) NH DOT doesn't show the road on the closure map, but they don't show Jefferson Notch Road either...

3) Two weeks ago, the Campton police were saying it was closed.

So, has anyone driven all the way through since Irene?

(Sorry if someone has already posted this info, but I couldn't find it)

Can anyone confirm the condition of Sandwich Notch Road? Is it driveable end-to-end?

I drove out from the Thornton end to the Guinea Pond trailhead and it was in fine shape. Roughest part was the paved section west of Hall Pond Rd, which was same as always. The long, rough, uphill (headed east) section closest to Rt. 49 was regraded and smooth at the time.

That was on the 21st of September. For what it's worth, I drive a Subaru Forester.

Last edited:
Success Pond Road Update:

Was up there this weekend, and the road is now passable over Sucker Brook, and beyond heading North. We were able to park at the Speck Pond Trailhead.
I'm not sure about the top section coming in from Maine

fyi
Petch

Mountain Pond

Does anyone know if Town Hall Road up to Mountain Pond is open? Last time we tried to go up in November it was closed part way up. Couldn't find any recent updates on the links. Thanks.

Does anyone know if Town Hall Road up to Mountain Pond is open? Last time we tried to go up in November it was closed part way up. Couldn't find any recent updates on the links. Thanks.

I was also there in November. The winter gate was closed due to washouts.

While I don't have anything definite, I'd be quite surprised if the gate is open. There was enough surface to drive a truck in, but I doubt they want people casually testing the structural integrity of the road.

I think it is about 2.25 miles road walk to the Mountain Pond trail.

Slippery Brook Rd still closed

FYI, Slippery Brook Road is still closed shortly after the paved portion of Town Hall Road ends. The sign on the gate says that the road was severly damaged during Irene and that it is not known when the road will be open. Walking from the closure point will add about 6 miles (round trip) to the Mountain Pond Loop Trail. I didn't try it, so not sure how the road was for walking, but my guess is it wouldn't be a problem on foot.

One year and counting ...