Irene -- Please use this thread for NH/VT/ME road closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this; it'll definitely be handy. :)

A couple of current closures that are kind of major and I think merit pointing out:

Bear Notch Road
Kancamagus (112) from Lincoln to east of Bear Notch Road
302 all the way from Twin Mountain (3) to West Side Road - the "4th Iron bridge is gone", I don't know if they mean railroad or road; if it's the highway bridge, it will be a long time before 302 is passable again.
16 from N Conway (302) to Gorham (2)

Last edited:
302 all the way from Twin Mountain (3) to West Side Road - the "4th Iron bridge is gone", I don't know if they mean railroad or road; if it's the highway bridge, it will be a long time before 302 is passable again.

WMUR just had a piece on 302, and it's the Sawyer River bridge. The only access to Hart's Location right now is on foot.

WMUR just had a piece on 302, and it's the Sawyer River bridge. The only access to Hart's Location right now is on foot.

P8290006.JPG

Yikes-- thanks for posting that photo, Joe. Bartlett seems the hardest hit.

It will be interesting to see how the forest roads have fared -- no updates on the USFS site yet.

Might be alot of additional miles to carry flags for the 10th anniversary of FOT48 this year.

MANY thanks, Trish

I want to recognize what a big help Trish is being today. Saved me much driving only to find the roads to Mt Cardigan were closed anyway.
Tomorrow or the next day I'll patrol the trails on the west side of Mt Cardigan. Soon thereafter a call for volunteers to open the trails, if needed.
Thanks again, Trish. Yours ay,
Creag nan drochaid, Cardigan Highlanders Volunteer Trail Crew

My pleasure, Creag! :) Glad to be of help.

I'm keeping a close eye on the updates and will continue to post them as I see them.

We're going to try to make it to Baxter State Park this week (provided it reopens). Given all the road closures, our route will be quite creative...

WMUR reports that the Loon Mountain access bridge is closed. Who was it that wanted to hit Scar Ridge this Friday? I don't think you're going to get there.

Last edited:
Just thinking how difficult this is going to make resupplies potentially very difficult for AT thru hikers who may be relying on major road crossings to get into towns ? They may be facing some long and uncertain walks where they had planned on hitching. And the trail must be a mess :-(

TDawg-- we have been watching the covered bridge videos on You Tube -- alot of NE Heritage is being lost -- so sad to see those covered bridges go down :-(

Last edited:
TDawg-- we have been watching the covered bridge videos on You Tube -- alot of NE Heritage is being lost -- so sad to see those covered bridges go down :-(

I agree. I can confirm today that Blair Bridge over the Pemi in Campton is still there but sustained some damage from river debris.