Irene -- Please use this thread for NH/VT/ME road closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forest Service Confusion...

At least on my part.

They have a summary page on closures (1) that lists Bear Notch Road as "Not open all the way through," but it is listed as open on the road summary page (2) and not mentioned on the NH Dot map (3) (suggesting that it is open). The Governor's office and some news reports also say it is open.

They also have Tripoli Rd listed as closed beyond Russell Pond campground on 2, but omitted from 1, suggesting it is open. They also don't list the Osceola Trailhead as closed (1), again suggesting Tripoli Rd is open.

They have a lot to do, but this makes planning hard.

1) http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/closures_08312011.pdf

2)http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/roads_status.php
3) http://hb.511nh.com/main.jsf

I was in the head quarters down at exit 27 earlier today picking up new parking passes. They are getting a lot of phone calls and appear to be doing their best to answer them, even offering to call people back after they tracked down an answer.

Certainly could be better, but at least down at the individual level they are trying their best.

Related to the NH Route 302 Situation

Of possible interest, here are a few snapshots taken today (01-Sep-2011).

A "bit CAT" in the Sawyer River at the site of the bridge washout on Rt. 302.
P1080363.JPG

Similar snapshots of the washed out bridge have already been posted, but here is one more!
P1080362.JPG

The composite photo below shows the sign directing you to the turn-off for the temporary parking for the Zealand Trailhead. The turn-off is just prior to the parking for the Sugarloaf Trail. You drive 0.2 mile down a dirt/gravel road to an open field.
ZealandParking.jpg

And lastly, the sign shown in the next photo is now posted at the trailhead for the Dry River Trail.
P1080372.JPG

Interesting, the Dry River Trail and area are not listed on either of the two slightly conflicting PDF documents posted on the WMNF home page (the "Closures" document and the "Exhibit A" document).

A few more pictures of Rt. 302 from today, 9-1-11:

The foundation has been poured on the south side of the river for the temporary bridge to be built.
IMG_0028.JPG

The parts and pieces for the temporary Bailey bridge to be built on site.
IMG_0041.JPG

The future approach to cross the river.
IMG_0056.JPG

The entrance to Dry River Campground.
IMG_0074.JPG

A view up the road from the entrance to the Dry River Campground.
IMG_0076.JPG

More of the same.
IMG_0102.JPG

Rt. 302 was washed out in two places north of the washed out bridge. Both washouts have temporary fixes.
IMG_0111.JPG

Incredible stuff.

Interesting, the Dry River Trail and area are not listed on either of the two slightly conflicting PDF documents posted on the WMNF home page (the "Closures" document and the "Exhibit A" document).
No pun intended, but I think it's a very "fluid" situation! Perhaps by later this evening or tomorrow, the website will be updated to include this information.

Just as an FYI, a "CLOSED" sign was not displayed at either the Davis Path or the Webster Cliff Trail. Also, it was gratifying to see first-hand that the bridges at the beginning of both those trails survived!

Incredible pictures! Is 302 open to the Webster Cliff trail head from the north, or did you have to walk south from Willey House Rd?
Coming from Twin Mountain, Route 302 is open (to local traffic only) to the Sawyer River Road where the road ends! To enable this, the NH DOT has made some temporary fixes where there is one-lane traffic at a couple of washed-out spots along the way.

As an interesting side-note, I spoke today with a gentleman who is a resident of Hart's Location. He drives his car to the Sawyer River Road. He then crosses the temporary pedestrian bridge to get across the damaged Rt. 302 roadway where he has his truck parked on the other side. He then drives his truck to the North Conway area to get groceries, etc! Yankee ingenuity at work!

I'd just like to point out that we joke a lot in northern New England about not being able to travel east-west. Well, it's a whole lot worse now. I'm trying to map a reasonable route from Bangor to Warren, NH and it's not looking promising based on the NH 511 map.

Anyone trying to head east across the Kanc? We can meet up and swap keys for a couple of days:)

Route 2 in Randolph question

Does anyone know the exent of the damage along route 2 in Randolph? I know traffic is being restricted there so I'm assuming some washout damage?

Thanks.

Paradox - yes, Rte 3 to 115 to Rte 2 to Gorham. No sign of any damage. Hiked Moriah, ascending via Stonybrook, descended via Carter Moriah. river crossing on Stonybrook as a non-issue, water is low, trail was in great shape. Carter Moriah trail was wet at the top, then about 12 blowdowns that were easy to get through/by. Driving to Twin Thursday the Gale River and Little River looked to be at a normal level.

Drove from Twin Mountain to Gorham and back yesterday - no restrictions or damage at all.

Thanks - very good to hear. I do that route often between Twin Mountain and Gorham.

One of the road conditions sites stil had Rte 2 listed as restricted traffic as of yesterday - glad it's clear!

One of the road conditions sites stil had Rte 2 listed as restricted traffic as of yesterday - glad it's clear!

I think that's an artifact of trying to fit a traffic restriction into the format of the automated conditions reporting system. My guess is that the system only knows certain roads, so for various side roads someone has to create an incident and put it at the intersection with a major road.

It claims it's about Route 2 between Durand West and Randolph Hill, but the comment reads:
"Weight restriction of 12,000lbs in Randolph on Dolly Copp Road from the junction on W/US2 to the Gorham Town Line."
It also displays as a year-round restriction. It's been there since last May and is listed through next May.

Much like the restriction on Route 302 in Crawford Notch, whose comment actually reads:
"There is a 12,000lb weight restriction in Carroll on Mt. Clinton Road from the intersection of W/US-302 to the Crawfords Purchase T/L"

Drove from Woodstock NH to Rangely ME 2-Sep, no issues

As an FYI, Drove from Woodstock NH to Rangely ME yesterday, no issues. We were concerned that maybe Berlin or Milan or some of the other towns may have had flooding by the Androscoggin river but fortunately there was no damage.

When you go through some of the towns, the river is right next to the road; if the Androscoggin rose even just a small amount the road and homes / business would get it. I know there are several dams on the river, not sure if they helped or the feeds into the river just didn't get as much rain as other areas of NH and VT.

Anyone know if I can get to the Webster Cliff trailhead via 302?

Yes you can. We dropped a car today and did a traverse of Tom, Field, Willy. At the top of the notch they is a road block, just telling you that you can only go another 10 miles. There were 3 FS rangers there with maps directing people how to go to Bartlett/North Conway the last time.

FYI - saw maybe 6 blowdowns on our hike - only one was tricky.