The Wind River Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
This is the third post from our recent trip to Montana and Wyoming (the first two are The Beartooth Mountains and Yellowstone). The final part of our trip was a five day backpacking trip in The Wind River Range in western Wyoming. We read the trip reports and we saw the pictures, so we knew it was going to be beautiful. But it still didn't prepare us for seeing it with our own eyes - wow! It was gorgeous and we loved every minute (well, most minutes. The mosquitoes were relentless!).

All the pictures are posted here and these are a few favorites:

On our first day we hiked about twelve miles from Elkhart Park (fourteen miles from Pinedale) to Island Lake. I was carrying Norah (35 lbs) and Steve got the lucky task of carrying everything else (65 lbs), so we were happy the miles weren't too hard (it also helped that we were acclimated from our previous week in Cooke City). We arrived at Island Lake just ahead of a brief hail storm. Once it cleared we had some stellar views. Norah approves!

113_island_lake_norah.jpg

A panoramic view of Island Lake:

174_island_lake_pano.jpg

We had a lovely evening and night at Island Lake and were tempted to just stay there, but Titcomb Basin beckoned. We broke camp and hiked the three miles to the basin. We chose a campsite at the southern end of the basin. Definitely one of our best campsites ever (it's in the left corner of this panorama of Titcomb Basin):

134_titcomb_basin_tent_pano.jpg

Steve scrambled up the small ridge on the east side of the basin and took this panorama of Titcomb Lakes and Mistake Lake (right hand side). Steve would return here in a few days to climb Fremont Peak.

129_titcomb_ridge_pano.jpg

We spent two nights in Titcomb Basin, allowing us to day hike into Indian Basin and leisurely explore Titcomb Basin. There was quite a bit of snow left in Indian Basin (somebody told us with the snow pack and late snow melt they were three weeks behind their normal timeline):

146_steve_norah_snow_hiking_indian_basin.jpg

Norah amidst the Indian paintbrush while hiking in Titcomb Basin:

153_norah_trail_indian_paintbrush.jpg

On our last night we returned to Island Lake, then it was twelve miles out on our last day. Another campsite with a view:

173_tent_norah.jpg

A truly beautiful place! Thanks for looking. :)

Thanks! We had acclimatized the previous week when we stayed in Cooke City and had done some hiking, so most of the time we didn't feel the altitude. Steve climbed Fremont Peak, which is nearly 14,000 feet. He felt it on that climb.

Please stop posting your trip photos....I'm running out of superlatives.

Drool.

Wow, what fantastic photos. Love the one of Norah looking out of the tent!

very nice
Petch

I've been there, I know how pretty the area is... But I have to admit, your pictures are amazing, and bringing a kid up there must be a totally different experience. I love it !

The final part of our trip was a five day backpacking trip in The Wind River Range in western Wyoming. We read the trip reports and we saw the pictures, so we knew it was going to be beautiful. But it still didn't prepare us for seeing it with our own eyes - wow! :)

Wow! Your pictures are amazing -- its hard to imagine any place more breathtaking!

Thank you everybody! It's such a beautiful place.

bringing a kid up there must be a totally different experience
Yea, just ask Steve about the 65 lb pack he got to carry, lol. In general it's a ton of fun having a kiddo in the outdoors - often makes you see things in a new light and the questions keep you thinking (and laughing).