Post Irene Trail Clean Up Day -- any interest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
WMNF -Post Irene Trail Clean Up Day -- any interest?

Is anyone interested in participating in a post Irene Trail(s) Clean Up Day in the WMNF?

I think there are several ways of going about this:

1. Use this thread to organize work teams with specific, interested trail adopters.

2. Support the FS or AMC in a specific, targeted area. In terms of the FS, I *think* we can organize a work effort similar to the Pemi Bridge -- I will touch base with the Pemi District and confirm. Perhaps adopters from the other districts can volunteer to organize within their districts as well?

Interested?

Have a date or suggestion in mind??

Let the planning begin!:)

Last edited:
I can't do a lot of heavy stuff but could do Lincoln Woods if Molly can come.

I think I will revert to my plan after the 1998 ice storm of carrying a folding saw and cutting 2 blowdowns every hike

You don't need a volunteer agreement to cut dead and down wood, if a ranger hassles you say it's for your campfire
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/law_enforcement/general_rules.php [near bottom]

I'm more concerned about the LT/AT in the GMNF several trailheads of which are still inaccessible

There is undoubtedly going to be stuff out there that goes far beyond the basics (which is cleaning waterbars, cutting blowdown, brushing) and will require FS crews....at this point I have received word that the Edmands Path sustained serious washout damage near the top that is nearly impassable and that many of the drainages have washed out and will need immediate repair to prevent further erosion. :-(

I have not heard anything about the N Twin trail but will be out there Friday sept 9 -- if anyone else wants to lend a hand I will appreciate it and will be happy to return the favor on other adopted trails.

Reports or pictures of issues on N Twin trail or Edmands Path-- if anyone get out there before hand to hike and has pictures or info -- I would really appreciate it.

As an eternal optimist - I was hoping we could all get together somehow and get things opened up before 9/11 -- maybe there is still a chance -- I know people who can be out there are doing what they can and the first hand observations and pictures are sobering.

In terms of organizing a targeted volunteer support crew to help in the Pemi - I have been asked to hold off on that until the district FS people have had time to assess.

Maddy, Molly is always welcome! Hope you fared well in your neck of the woods!

Last edited:
Chip and I plan on checking out the Zealand trail on Sunday. We will do what we can in safety, leave the rest, and report back here. As an eternal optomist I am planning for a 360 degree view from the summit of Zealand. ;)

Last edited:
In terms of organizing a targeted volunteer support crew to help in the Pemi - I have been asked to hold off on that until the district FS people have had time to assess.

Received an email today from Saco District with pretty much the same message. Also, if a road or trail is closed, it is closed to everyone including volunteers/adopters.

Received an email today from Saco District with pretty much the same message. Also, if a road or trail is closed, it is closed to everyone including volunteers/adopters.

I hadn't heard that -- just got a note to try and get out and check out my adopted trails and report any big issues. Thanks for the heads up!

Chip and I plan on checking out the Zealand trail on Sunday. We will do what we can in safety, leave the rest, and report back here. As an eternal optomist I am planning for a 360 degree view from the summit of Zealand. ;)

Good luck you guys, that's a lotta trail -- hope you find it in decent shape. Wish I could be there to help...

Last edited:
Typical government BS

I asked SPNHF how their trails were, the answer was that the _volunteer stewards_ were reporting little damage

Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

I will likely be taking a look at the Ammo Ravine Trail and doing some trail work with a friend next Saturday (9/10) (she does not know this yet :D ) The FOTF hike up Mount Washington is taking this route Sunday 9/11.

Edit: it is likely the only road access will be from the west on 302 due to the road closure at the Sawyer River Bridge.

If anyone wants to come along with their tools of choice (backhoe, team of oxen, Thor's hammer, etc.) PM me or reply here...at the moment, I'm thinking 8-9 AM start. I'd go earlier.

Minimally, a set of stone steps below Gem Pool was washed out. It was set to be repaired today. I worked hard on the water bars this spring - I hope they diverted the water as well as possible given the volume...

Thanks to all those helping out on any of the storm damage clean up.

Last edited:
Reports or pictures of issues on N Twin trail or Edmands Path-- if anyone get out there before hand to hike and has pictures or info -- I would really appreciate it...
There is a report on NH Trail conditions of someone who took the N Twin, Twinway to Lend-a-hand loop, on 9/3/11, and reported it was in very good shape.

We found the Zealand Trail in good shape today.

There is a report on NH Trail conditions of someone who took the N Twin, Twinway to Lend-a-hand loop, on 9/3/11, and reported it was in very good shape.

We found the Zealand Trail in good shape today.

Silverfox just contacted me and reports that Twins Galehead loop is clear except for one widow maker at 4200 on N Twin.

Glad to hear the Twinway and Zealand are all set for Flags!

I'm open to working somewhere else next Friday -- any suggestions?