High Peaks from Long Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrimarc

Reaction score
So we were planning on hiking Marcy for my Uncle's 60th b-day in mid-September. That looks like it may not happen due to all the damage. Even if the trailheads are accessible by then, we have to plan ahead so we are looking at other peaks.

My Uncle has a house on Long Lake. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts of a great day hike up a High Peak or two originating from that area. All suggestions welcomed!

Much thanks,
Rob

Santanoni would be an option. The trail is unmarked for about the last half, but the trail gets enough use that with decent trail finding skills it's hard to get off the trail. Nice views from the summit of Santanoni, and while everyone's hiking pace is different it's not a long death march.

Search on this forum for Santanoni and you should find trail reports that specify where to pick up the herd path that opened up a few years ago that goes directly to the summit of Santanoni(not the trail via Bradley Pond and Times Square).

You might also consider something in the Seward Range...if you're looking for a high peak with a great view, Donaldson is a beauty. It is accessed from Corey's, northeast of Tupper Lake. This is a marked trail for part of the way, then follows the Calkins Brook herd path to the summit ridge. Search this forum and here for Seward, Donaldson, and/or Calkins Brook for more information. Approximately 45 minute drive from Long Lake to trailhead.

Other options from Long Lake are Owl's Head Mountain, Goodnow Mtn., and Vanderwhacker Mtn...all 3 have fire towers. Vanderwhacker has fabulous views of the high peaks.

Another great option, though a little farther north, almost to Saranac Lake, is Ampersand Mtn. Beautiful forest leading to a steep climb. Summit is wide open with fantastic views of the lakes, Sewards, Sawtooths...and before you get in the car back at the trailhead you can take a little side trail down to the lake for a dip!

you can hike Marcy, colden, redfield,cliff,marshall, skylight and gray from upper works which is only 16 miles to tahawas road from long lake. Another 7-8 miles to trailhead. (Of course this all depaends if the trails are not washed out there also).

The Seward range (Donaldson in particular) would be an excellent choice - this was posted on ADKHighPeaks Forum earlier -

"......
We drove in Corey's Rd. Not a tree down. I spoke with local Ranger, Julie, and she confirmed that not a tree was down on this road (we first wondered if some may have been cleared). Julie was on the Raquette Falls trail today and cleared 1 or 2 trees with chainsaw. She could not believe how remarkably well everything looks......

Upper Works Road got hit very hard. Last I heard, up to 70 trees down from BR Road to Upper Works. I think they closed all trails along that road as well.

We av decided to do Donaldson (and perhaps Emmons) via Caulkins Brook. thanks for the the suggestions. Can anyone give average times for landmarks along the way? Form trailhead to Cairn, to split to Seward Trail? What can we expect from Donaldson's summit to Emmons?

Anyone been on the Road to the trailhead from Coreys Rd. lately? Passable in a Honda Civic?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

I was out there this week. Coreys road to the trailhead is in great shape for any vehicle.

The marked trail to the Calkins Brook herdpath is 3.3 miles of easy walking with moderate slopes. From there to Donaldson is 2.7 miles (2100 ft ascent) on a steady uphill with a few steep spots. The herdpath has recently been cut out with a chainsaw, but there are a few new blown down trees. You can decide times based on these distances and your expected miles/hour rate, stops, etc.

Emmons is 0.9 miles from Donaldson with about 300 ft ascent and 350 ft descent. The herdpath goes well below the ridge and through several muddy areas, which will be slow. It will take 45-60 minutes each way.

One thing you can expect all day is plenty of mud and of ups and downs! Nevertheless if you wait for a week or two you will be rewarded with magnificent fall scenery from every ridge lookouts and along the trails and various herdpaths. All the while probably thankful the paths have been cleared saving the mountains from more destruction with the creation of multiple routes as it’s often the case along some of the so-called wilderness paths.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. We ended up at Ward Brook lean-to from Corey's Rd. and hiked up Seymour. Despite the mud - lots of it - the weather was fantastic and we are now anxious to ascend the rest of the Sewards. Looks like we'll try to get up there again this fall.

We appreciate all the help.

Rob