First photos from Duck Hole

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Explorer Editor said:
The two lean-tos at Duck Hole have long been favorite destinations of hikers on the Northville-Placid Trail. Both were undamaged by the storm, but their views are much impaired.

I believe Phil mentioned the two leantos are still standing.

Jay

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the creation of the Dam (other than that it created a beautiful pond)? Is something being protected downstream?

I hope the decision to rebuild/not rebuild takes into account that over the last 100 years, that area's ecosystem has likely become quite dependent on the presence of those impoundments.

I hope the decision to rebuild/not rebuild takes into account that over the last 100 years, that area's ecosystem has likely become quite dependent on the presence of those impoundments.
Nature adapts (either way).

A typical (undisturbed) progression is:
* ponds fill in to become marshes
* marshes become plains
* grasses etc grow
* shrubby plants replace the grasses
* trees replace the shrubby plants

The impoundment simply disturbed the progression by making or prolonging the pond.

Doug

Nature adapts (either way).

A typical (undisturbed) progression is:
* ponds fill in to become marshes
* marshes become plains
* grasses etc grow
* shrubby plants replace the grasses
* trees replace the shrubby plants

The impoundment simply disturbed the progression by making or prolonging the pond.

Doug
Yes but I'm sure that resident animals are currently displaced or impacted by thier sudden change in the environment!

This loss of the impoundments happened a lot faster than any eutrophication or other natural losses.

If it were a beaver dam, the beavers would already be rebuilding.

I hope the value of Duck Hole a a place to camp, paddle, fish and commune with nature drives the decision towards rebuilding the dam. :)
I see no reason why camping, fishing, and communing cannot still be done with just as much value as before. Though somewhat differently, that doesn't make it worse. As for canoeing, it was a destination to say you have carried to and paddled, but not a large body of water with much reason to canoe in other than to say you have canoed there (and I have).

Yes but I'm sure that resident animals are currently displaced or impacted by thier sudden change in the environment!

This loss of the impoundments happened a lot faster than any eutrophication or other natural losses.

If it were a beaver dam, the beavers would already be rebuilding.
Of course. But the natural community will still adapt. (How is this any different from the new slides and washouts? They happened suddenly too and the natural community will still adapt...)

Maybe beavers will decide to put in a dam. Then it would be a "natural" impoundment. (Many of the organisms won't care--a pond is a pond is a pond...)

The so called "balance of nature" is not static--populations of the individual species are changing all the time in response to changes in the environment.

Doug

I think we just should accept what has happened. There ia more to this in the grand design then we are able to comprehend at this time. Time will reveal all. We're just a small player in all this. We don't like to think we are.

Thanks for the hiking in and snapping the photos, Phil. Glad I had a chance to visit Duck Hole and take pictures of the dam and the impoundment a few years ago.
As for the future, whether or not to rebuild the dam, I quote the Beatles:
"Let it Be."

A couple of "before" pictures.

Attachments

• P1080252 (640x480).jpg
    P1080252 (640x480).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 102