New Slides: First Ascents and Naming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma concolor

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
So how does everyone think this is going to work? Anyone given it any thought yet? Of course, the Eastern High Peaks are still closed, but once they re-open, there will actually be the opportunity to the chance to document first ascents of some of these slides. Typically, naming rights go along with FAs.

Might be fun to organize a VFTT trip to try to make a group first ascent once the backcountry reopens. "The VFTT slide" ... hmmm. :D

Like the idea and name but wouldn't surprise me if a number of the slides aren't climbed by the time the weekend is over so some can say they were the first.
The rush is always on when a new slide falls. ;)

Probably little cairns all over the tops of many slides by the time the 'legal' folks get there. :eek:

I already have a name picked out for the one on Colden, I'm going to call it "The Trap Dike". I think it will catch on. Or if I die or kill someone else from all the loose debris in that tight space I will call it the "it's ok, I'm a 46er", I figure that will put a smile on the rangers face as they cart out the body.

Most of these are slides that got cleaned and lengthened and had their runoffs extended and are not entirely new. The Lower Wolf Jaw slide is still the Bennies brook slide but the extension of the "Root canal slide" should probably be dropped because it got entended by a newer section off to the right of the two old "roots".

I think most people forget that their are some who go climb the Trap Dike in winter then ski the SE slide all before they go to work some days since they are local. Just because you plan all winter and drive a good distance doesn't make it all that more "crazy".

Like the idea and name but wouldn't surprise me if a number of the slides aren't climbed by the time the weekend is over so some can say they were the first.

Probably little cairns all over the tops of many slides by the time the 'legal' folks get there. :eek:

Well, if we pick one and politely stake claim ahead of time, I think we'll be good. ;)

Well that will be sweet if they are kind enough to stake claim to the FA in public, they will also win a $250 fine and chance of 15 days in jail to boot:D

Most of these are slides that got cleaned and lengthened and had their runoffs extended and are not entirely new. The Lower Wolf Jaw slide is still the Bennies brook slide but the extension of the "Root canal slide" should probably be dropped because it got entended by a newer section off to the right of the two old "roots".

Speaking to the substantive part of your post, obviously the Trap Dike is still the Trap Dike, although transformed. The Bennies Brook slide is so different that it's hard to think of it as even being the same slide, but I'll grant you that it probably doesn't need a new name.

Nonetheless, there seem to be plenty of completely new slides that will undoubtedly be claimed and named. Not all that important in the grand scheme of things but an interesting part of the bigger story nonetheless. When the mud settles, there will be lots of new options for backcountry travel in the heart of the High Peaks.

Well that will be sweet if they are kind enough to stake claim to the FA in public, they will also win a $250 fine and chance of 15 days in jail to boot:D

Very true Jack.

PUMA did you get permission to go in? I sure hope so! If not you are definitely setting a bad example for hikers who are suppose to be responsible. Along with that setting himself up for that 15 days in jail. Don't you know the DEC rangers watch this website for trail conditions and other activity in the mountains. I would walk on glass.

Very true Jack.

PUMA did you get permission to go in? I sure hope so! If not you are definitely setting a bad example for hikers who are suppose to be responsible. Along with that setting himself up for that 15 days in jail. Don't you know the DEC rangers watch this website for trail conditions and other activity in the mountains. I would walk on glass.

No, no, no ... it wasn't me. Just passing information along. I'm as legal eagle as it gets. ;)

Didn't think it looked like you, and didn't seem to me like you were that kind of hiker. I was kind of shocked and reacted a little strong, but I've heard it from customers all week that also don't have the common sense to go elsewhere and all that scares them off is the fine.

This kind of stuff pisses me off. It's friggin' dangerous to be out there. Not only is it is dangerous to the climber, but the rangers as well. If the climber gets hurt, the rangers and SAR teams need to go out after them, risking their lives to save the fool as well. People like this don't think of stuff like that and if I were working for the DEC I would throw the book at them.

Even if the guy went out before the official closure, it's just not smart thinking - for a picture and bragging rights.

Sorry for the rant, that's all I have to say. "Good night and good luck"

Even if the guy went out before the official closure, it's just not smart thinking - for a picture and bragging rights.

Before we all start chucking stones and spears we all might want to do our research first. A simple google search of the Photographer's name will lead to his Home page and Blog. If I am mistaken I stand corrected but I believe he (The Photographer) is an employee of the ADK and is and has been working in conjunction with the DEC. I also believe he was caretaking at John's Brook Lodge with the other individual in the photos at the time when Irene was approaching. Let's be happy some one was around to button down the hatches and had the cahunaas to be around in that area during and after the storm so we all might have a chance of going forward to be able to use this area again.

So, they're building a trail up the slide.

I think you missed my concern - the fact he put others in danger as well as himself and whomever else was with him was my point. If he was doing recon work for the ADK, I apologize for my misunderstanding. I also do appreciate all they do to get the trails back into shape. However, I would hope all that read this see the dangers of climbing a fresh slide and understand them. Older slides have dangers in themselves but new ones are even more risky. Then the fact that many roads were out to the trail heads, that would have delayed and increased the risk of rescue in the event of an unforeseen injury.

I'm not here to argue, I just wanted to make a point and send home the facts about the dangers of new slides. I meant no offense, but sometimes to get a point across you need to be a little brass. I don't like arguing or drama I just don't like to see innocent people get hurt by taking unnecessary chances. Enjoy the rest of the summer and be safe out there.

However, I would hope all that read this see the dangers of climbing a fresh slide and understand them. Older slides have dangers in themselves but new ones are even more risky. Then the fact that many roads were out to the trail heads, that would have delayed and increased the risk of rescue in the event of an unforeseen injury.
Just to elucidate the danger: New slides tend to have more loose and unstable rock than do old slides. This also happens in spring--the freezing and thawing of winter tends to loosen rock. As time passes, the loose rock tends to fall (hopefully before you get there...) leaving a safer slide.

Doug

I think you missed my concern

I agree with the potential of the dangers of new slides and I didnot miss your point at all. Just trying to keep it civil. This board can be like Hyenas looking for the scraps. I think it is important to keep a prespective when there is room for speculation; especially when others have first hand knowledge that may know otherwise.

So how does everyone think this is going to work? Anyone given it any thought yet? Of course, the Eastern High Peaks are still closed, but once they re-open, there will actually be the opportunity to the chance to document first ascents of some of these slides. Typically, naming rights go along with FAs.

Might be fun to organize a VFTT trip to try to make a group first ascent once the backcountry reopens. "The VFTT slide" ... hmmm. :D

What about first decents? Winter is not that far off.:D

What about first decents? Winter is not that far off.:D

Haha. I thought there might be a little of that going on based on the rocky start this thread got off to. :p

I'm not a BC skier so I really don't know how that all goes although I am aware that naming routes is part of that community as well. Let the rivalry begin. :D

So much gets lost in translation when reading a post or an e-mail.

So lets talk about something fun. When the slides do open and they are safe, we should get a small group together to check some of them out. My ski ability is not good enough for slides :( but I am more than willing to "Hough and Pough" to the top with anyone who wants to go. Maybe even this fall to scope them out, just imagine the colors for the changing leaves.

Talk briefly with one of the rangers today. All of the trails have been scouted and it looks like some of trails will be opening really soon. There is more work than there are volunteers (call Ray Brook office 518-897-1200 if you want to volunteer). Sounds also like they will be focusing on Dix and Giant Mountain Wilderness first - mainly because Rte. 73 will be open shortly if it is not already.

You can also contact the 46ers if you want to do some trail work. They have teams going out and pitching in.

I was in Keene Valley today doing some volunteer work in the neighborhood and the flooding was horrific. It's back breaking work - but I have to admit it's a good pain.

I imagine they will consider that a small price for immortality. ;)

Geologist talks about slides

I spoke with a state geologist today about the formation of slides in the High Peaks and the status of the creeping mudslide on Little Porter. You can read my report on Adirondack Almanack.

I thought the closeup photo of the new slide on Saddleback deserved bigger play, so I ran it larger on my Outtakes blog. You can find it here.